Brandon Sutter extension

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Brandon Sutter extension

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:55 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:10 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:37 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 am If Rathbone is NHL ready, does van let Edler walk? There isnt enough slots on that left side for all of these guys...someone will need to be moved
You resign Edler to short term contracts (2mil ish) and then they compete for last spot in training camp.
What if hes looking for his own 3.25 or more even ? (very likely as his clock is ticking)
If he asks foe more than 2.5, you say 1 year, 1.5million plus bonuses that add to 3.25.

He wants it, he earns it.
Edler is still a good defender. Why should he take it in the ass because management has mangled the cap in the past few years. He can make more money elsewhere for a better team. The question is... does he want to leave?

He isn’t an easy replacement despite the fact he has lost a step. Put Olaf or Ratbones in that spot and this is Ottawa.
Why bother with them, put tyramkin in that spot and we’re probably better off at least tyramkin won’t get walked the second a winger goes wide on him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:05 pm
Mëds wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:52 pm Yea Doc. Someone has done that. You quoted him in your reply.
Oh? Did Picker say it's "a foregone conclusion that (Pod is) gonna be a 60+ point winger"?

pssst: you've got some straw in your hair and a little under your fingernails bro :wink:
What exactly does penciling someone in mean to you?

How many points do you consider to be acceptable production for a first line winger?

You’re off your game tonight Herr Doktor.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Geez - a lot of angry people out here. ;)

Is the extended break getting to everyone? Vancouver's wonderful spring showers got y'all locked in?

Relax, we'll have hockey back next week (in theory), grab a cold one and chill.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:38 am Geez - a lot of angry people out here. ;)

Is the extended break getting to everyone? Vancouver's wonderful spring showers got y'all locked in?

Relax, we'll have hockey back next week (in theory), grab a cold one and chill.
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The quote I said was if Miller were playing centre the best fit was Pod on the wing with Petey and Boeser. My exact quote was,

“I’d want to try Podkolzin with Petey and Brock even if he won’t score as much as Hoglander. You wouldn’t want Hoglander and Boeser on the same line because neither has the high end speed to forecheck effectively. Even if he isn’t a sniper, Podkolzin can pass and has forechecking ability, so just retrieving the puck to scorers like Petey and Brock may lead to a successful line.”

The concept is that the team would spread out the scoring onto three lines if Miller is at centre on a different line than Petey and Brandon Sutter isn’t resigned, which is what this thread is about. I don’t predict how many points Podkolzin would score because that wouldn’t be his focus on that line. His speed, forechecking, defence and passing would be his focus. He would not score like Miller would on the wing, but the hope would be that the spreading out of scoring with Miller on a different line at centre would lead to better team scoring depth. Spreading out scoring can do that. Think of Podkolzin as a better forechecking version of Semenko without the fighting. The scoring came from Gretzky and Kurri on that line. If Petey and Brock are able to do their job scoring with Podkolzin retrieving pucks then the line can have success even if he doesn’t score many points. Another example might be Burrows with the Sedins. Burrows was there to get the puck for the Sedins who were not the fastest fore checkers. Like Podkolzin, his scoring was irrelevant to the structure of the lines as long as the Sedins were scoring. So yes, you are putting up strawmen when you set up a certain points total as potential failure on a top line.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m on board with putting Miller at centre, moving toward a top 9. Miller, Petey and Horvat down the middle

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Motte Pettersson Podkolzin
Hoglander Miller Boeser
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am I’m on board with putting Miller at centre, moving toward a top 9. Miller, Petey and Horvat down the middle

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser
It doesnt have to be set in stone. If there is a team that runs deep like the jets you can throw the triple headed monster at them to match. If theyre a one or two line team like the lame or coil then you can load up with 2

The canucks are way too fucking predictable. They need to have a few knuckle or curve balls to throw
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:20 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am I’m on board with putting Miller at centre, moving toward a top 9. Miller, Petey and Horvat down the middle

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser
It doesnt have to be set in stone. If there is a team that runs deep like the jets you can throw the triple headed monster at them to match. If theyre a one or two line team like the lame or coil then you can load up with 2

The canucks are way too fucking predictable. They need to have a few knuckle or curve balls to throw
Worry about over using Pettersson on face offs. Horvat and Miller are built for it. Once Podkolzin is over here and at a camp, I hope the new coaching staff might consider trying him out there. He is dogged on pucks so why not try.
There is something to be said about continuing to roll with the 649 line. Less adjustments around powerplays.

BTW; If it were cheap enough, (like 2 mil cheap), I'd see if BS would go 2 yrs.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:20 am

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser

The Greener is too old school lunch bucket. Not progressive enough.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser
Notte sure if Motte is Thing 1 material, but it might be worth exploring.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:40 am

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser
There is no prototypical no. 1 line in the top 9 forward group world.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:01 am

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser
Colorado says ‘Hi’
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser
Colorado says ‘Hi’
Well I meant the Motte’s of the world can have a place in the top 9 forward group due to his speed to get in in forechecks and relentless style of play that would benefit your prototypical top 6 level forwards.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser
I'd prefer that over another Sutter contract.
It would require putting faith in Podz making the team, but hell, I'll take a "bold move" like that, over a pricey/long term UFA
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am

Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Hoglander Miller Boeser
Colorado says ‘Hi’
Well I meant the Motte’s of the world can have a place in the top 9 forward group due to his speed to get in in forechecks and relentless style of play that would benefit your prototypical top 6 level forwards.
Fair enough. I would say the Mottes of the world are better suited to middle 6, but I understand what your trying to say.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.