2021 TDD

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 TDD

Post by ukcanuck »

theman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:23 am Can’t believe we didn’t give up a 2nd to Chicago as part of that trade.
Benning Burn 🔥
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Lol. That's it, eh? Apparently Benning wanted to include a 2nd rounder but Bowman showed some mercy and declined. Gotta get that 25 year old with untapped upside. lol. Gaudette's actually a cap casualty since they had to keep room for Sutter's incoming extension and now watch them retain Virtanen as well. Is it just a coincidence that the expansion cousins, Canucks and Sabres, are the two worst run teams in the NHL?
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 am Lol. That's it, eh? Apparently Benning wanted to include a 2nd rounder but Bowman showed some mercy and declined. Gotta get that 25 year old with untapped upside. lol. Gaudette's actually a cap casualty since they had to keep room for Sutter's incoming extension and now watch them retain Virtanen as well. Is it just a coincidence that the expansion cousins, Canucks and Sabres, are the two worst run teams in the NHL?
I see this trade more as a removing a player management perceives as a problem in the room. Pretty sure he and his wife are getting blamed for the COVID outbreak with the team, guess he wasn't very popular.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 am Lol. That's it, eh? Apparently Benning wanted to include a 2nd rounder but Bowman showed some mercy and declined. Gotta get that 25 year old with untapped upside. lol. Gaudette's actually a cap casualty since they had to keep room for Sutter's incoming extension and now watch them retain Virtanen as well. Is it just a coincidence that the expansion cousins, Canucks and Sabres, are the two worst run teams in the NHL?
Worst run? Based on what ? Outstanding draft record and consistent player development?

Their recent giant killer playoff appearances?

Yeah they overpaid for the services of a few free agents and maybe tossed a 2nd or 3 as sweetener too much

But since the Sedins retired there has been steady improvement with upgrades in skill as the roster turns over.

This year has sucked royally but I wouldn’t say worst run team
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

theman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 am
I see this trade more as a removing a player management perceives as a problem in the room. Pretty sure he and his wife are getting blamed for the COVID outbreak with the team, guess he wasn't very popular.
Pure speculation.

Ore likely JB didn’t think we would be able to afford Gaudette on his new contract.

I would purely speculate JB was looking for a little more cap certainty. :D
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Just got off the phone with Jim and he did this deal for the sole purpose of a) giving fodder to the HF kids and b) so that we at CC can't say he did nothing this year.

JB is a genius.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Gaudette has had several years to displace Sutter and hasn't been able to. Time to cut bait before he starts costing money.

Should have done the same with Jake two years ago.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:03 am
theman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 am
Pure speculation.

Ore likely JB didn’t think we would be able to afford Gaudette on his new contract.

I would purely speculate JB was looking for a little more cap certainty. :D
#1, madcombine.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:09 am Gaudette has had several years to displace Sutter and hasn't been able to. Time to cut bait before he starts costing money.

Jake could have been better shipped off more than two years ago. His Hockey IQ was never going to develop. But he teased because simply working harder—skating fast, hitting occasionally, and driving the net at least once a game—would make him valuable even if he stayed stupid. Low intelligence and low industriousness and low conscientiousness is not usually a good formula for development....
Hono_rary Canadian
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:09 am Gaudette has had several years to displace Sutter and hasn't been able to. Time to cut bait before he starts costing money.

Gaudette, a center with a career faceoff percentage of 41.1 and Corsi and Fenwick percentages well below 50.

--

Blackhawks coach Colliton on Highmore:
Colliton on Highmore's departure: "One thing you appreciate about Highmore is his work ethic and attention to detail.

It's hard to find a bigger team guy with his willingness to do the right thing for the team at all times...

Hopefully he can use this to get a new opportunity."
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:14 am
Jake could have been better shipped off more than two years ago. His Hockey IQ was never going to develop. But he teased because simply working harder—skating fast, hitting occasionally, and driving the net at least once a game—would make him valuable even if he stayed stupid. Low intelligence and low industriousness and low conscientiousness is not usually a good formula for development....
Yes! It is getting on now isn't it. When does the developing stage progress to solid NHL player? Not going to happen. The dude just seems to instinctively know when it's time to put a little effort out. Just enough to stick around. FWIW; the Canucks don't really have a player to tranplant him.
Sure hope thy can because Jake will never change.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Janmark to Vegas. Vegas 2nd to Chicago. Flip VGK 3rd for Hawks 5th next year.
10:09 AM · Apr 12, 2021 .. LINK
The Dmitry Kulikov to Edmonton is done, with New Jersey getting a fourth round draft pick in 2022, which becomes a third round pick if Edmonton wins a playoff round.
"evolution"
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

If they wanted to get rid of Gaudette, so they don't have to re-sign him, why wouldn't they ask for a draft pick rather then an AHL-tweener?

I get that they're trying to dump Gaudette's contract, but I don't think Highmore has a future in the lineup.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

OFFICIAL: #Canucks acquire Matthew Highmore from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Adam Gaudette.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Bob McKenzie saying Benn likely to be dealt.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.