What are the Canucks Missing to be a Contender?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: What are the Canucks Missing to be a Contender?

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Meds wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:23 am So because a RH shot center scored a goal on a slapshot that looked similar to another RH shot center who took a slapshot from a similar area on the ice and the both happened to score, that makes them comparable players?
Shorty made that comparison, so if u have a beef with it, u can take it up with him. I think his CoHo comparison to Gauds is better than your Masey Raymey one though. For what it's worth, I did like MayRay. Too bad, he was never the same after that Bruin crunched him into the boards. He was prob the one guy who could push the Bruin D back with his speed or beat them to the outside, losing him did hurt us and didn't get much press. Hammer was the big one ppl talk about the most. I like Gaud's hustle, but don't think he has those kind of jets.

Meds wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:53 am Raymond was a good 2-way player, he was probably 3rd best on the team in terms of defensive skills amongst wingers (Hansen and Burrows were better). So I'm not sure I see where you think Gaudette is better that way. Raymond had an underrated wristshot but often used a snap/slapshot.....it wasn't super quality, neither is Gaudette's.
I'd rate Higgy, Torres and even Michael Samuellson as all better defensive forwards over Masey Raymey. :P
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Missing a Niklas Lidstrom!
Offence, Defence, Leadership, PRESENCE, you know he can just take the team under his wings

The closest we ever had was Ohlund but then the eye accident..
Edler is like 2 tiers below

Hughes is fantastic but not the same style

or we can just find someone with a strong PRESENCE on both ends to complement Hughes.

Someone like Keith, Byfugly,
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:08 pm Missing a Niklas Lidstrom!
Offence, Defence, Leadership, PRESENCE, you know he can just take the team under his wings
I wonder if I can get Meds going again, Olaf will become a poor man's version of Nik Lidstrom! :lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:48 am
CrzyCanuck wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:08 pm Missing a Niklas Lidstrom!
I wonder if I can get Meds going again, Olaf will become a poor man's version of Nik Lidstrom! :lol:
Why would that get me going? WJC Juolevi had elements of Lidstrom's game, and even still, he's not flashy, neither was Lidstrom, he makes a really smart first pass, so could Lidstrom, he's not speedy, neither was Lidstrom, he doesn't have a cannon of a shot, like Lidstrom it's pretty average (though Lidstrom's was probably on net more.....

Sure. A poor man's version of Lidstrom? But there are plenty of those all over the league.....that's why they are poor man versions.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Meds wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:46 am Why would that get me going? WJC Juolevi had elements of Lidstrom's game, and even still, he's not flashy, neither was Lidstrom, he makes a really smart first pass, so could Lidstrom, he's not speedy, neither was Lidstrom...
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Lidstrom was a bit slight for his height (last listed @ 6'2, 190 lbs), kinda like Olaf. Lidstrom played at a different time too when size, muscle and physical play was highly coveted and he played through and excelled in those grueling Avalanche/Wings playoff series. Our next Lidstrom will do the same for us. :P
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

Speaking of a good third line centre where the Canucks are severely lacking, Adam Lowry is an unrestricted free agent after the season. He’s 28, a huge physical specimen and an elite defensive player and great penalty killer who can chip in 15 goals. Give him Sutter’s money if he gets to UFA. If it’s not enough give him a bit more. He’s a much better player than Sutter ever was and he would solidify the centre ice position. The kid is a consummate professional. I just hope he isn’t too attached to having his old man behind the bench.
Last edited by Vin Tanner on Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:00 am Speaking of a good third line centre where the Canucks are severely lacking, Adam Lowry is an unrestricted free agent after the season. He’s 28, a huge physical specimen and an elite defensive player and great penalty killer who can chip in 15 goals. Give him Sutter’s money if he gets to UFA. If it’s not enough give him a bit more. He’s a much better player Sutter ever was and he would solidify the centre ice position. The kid is a consummate professional. I just hope he isn’t too attached to having his old man behind the bench.
Fuck ya. Winterpig has maybe the best 3rd line in the division if not the NHL due in large to how solid big Adam is. I would absolutely be all in on poaching him
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Jets have really good depth forwards in American born players Appleton, Copp and Lowry. You can’t go wrong with Americans and Swedes
“Benning should fired for not drafting Jack Wise” - Doyle Hargraves
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:07 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:00 am Speaking of a good third line centre where the Canucks are severely lacking, Adam Lowry is an unrestricted free agent after the season. He’s 28, a huge physical specimen and an elite defensive player and great penalty killer who can chip in 15 goals. Give him Sutter’s money if he gets to UFA. If it’s not enough give him a bit more. He’s a much better player Sutter ever was and he would solidify the centre ice position. The kid is a consummate professional. I just hope he isn’t too attached to having his old man behind the bench.
Fuck ya. Winterpig has maybe the best 3rd line in the division if not the NHL due in large to how solid big Adam is. I would absolutely be all in on poaching him
Good player. Good idea for a replacement for Sutter. If he doesn't stay in Winnipeg it wont just be about the money but the term too. He'll want
six years I would think.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:00 am Speaking of a good third line centre where the Canucks are severely lacking, Adam Lowry is an unrestricted free agent after the season. He’s 28, a huge physical specimen and an elite defensive player and great penalty killer who can chip in 15 goals. Give him Sutter’s money if he gets to UFA. If it’s not enough give him a bit more. He’s a much better player than Sutter ever was and he would solidify the centre ice position. The kid is a consummate professional. I just hope he isn’t too attached to having his old man behind the bench.
The Jets have 11 guys hitting free agency at the end of this season. They will have roughly $22M in cap space to spend. 3 of those 11 roster spots are going to top-4 D positions. Unless you consider Dylan DeMelo a top-4. That’s gonna eat up at least $15M almost for sure.

Chevy will likely have to choose between Andrew Copp (who’s having a breakout season in a contract year) and Adam Lowry up front. If I was him I’d keep Lowry. You have Scheifle and Dubois up front already. Lowry is the natural keeper there based on your argument for wanting him here.

I hope Chevy screws up and Elmer can make that happen.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Meds wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:56 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:00 am Speaking of a good third line centre where the Canucks are severely lacking, Adam Lowry is an unrestricted free agent after the season. He’s 28, a huge physical specimen and an elite defensive player and great penalty killer who can chip in 15 goals. Give him Sutter’s money if he gets to UFA. If it’s not enough give him a bit more. He’s a much better player than Sutter ever was and he would solidify the centre ice position. The kid is a consummate professional. I just hope he isn’t too attached to having his old man behind the bench.
The Jets have 11 guys hitting free agency at the end of this season. They will have roughly $22M in cap space to spend. 3 of those 11 roster spots are going to top-4 D positions. Unless you consider Dylan DeMelo a top-4. That’s gonna eat up at least $15M almost for sure.

Chevy will likely have to choose between Andrew Copp (who’s having a breakout season in a contract year) and Adam Lowry up front. If I was him I’d keep Lowry. You have Scheifle and Dubois up front already. Lowry is the natural keeper there based on your argument for wanting him here.

Good point. Lowry will be looking for bank but Benning will be consumed with his own issues. I cant see Van being a big player this off season other than getting their RFA's signed in time for training camp. JB likely will look within his prospect pool rather than go shopping with the eye-ties wad
Curmudgeon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Absolutely and it's not as though they have an imminent arrival from within so it comes down to dealing a decent asset or two for an established vet, take a chance on a retread like Sam Bennett, or make a move in free agency like this one. Lowry is exactly what they should be looking for. I do think one of Focht or Zlodeyev makes it at some point though.
Curmudgeon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

They need:

1) A 3rd line center like Lowry as they stand no chance rolling a Sutter type in that role no matter who's coaching, playing defense, or on the wing.

2) A new coaching staff with a better defensive system and PP setup. I don't think their personnel on defense is all that bad and it's more of a system and coaching issue and a PP with Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, and Horvat should be producing way more and more consistently than it has.

3) A hammer on defense like Cernak or a younger Gudas who's also adequate defensively and can play the PK. If you're rolling Hughes and Rathbone regularly on the left side, which they should be, you need to balance it out. I hope Hamonic is re-signed and maybe Tryamkin can help fill the void but they may need to make a bolder move.

4) A POHO and new hands-off ownership.

5) Retain Ian Clark.
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:35 am
Meds wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:56 am

Good point. Lowry will be looking for bank but Benning will be consumed with his own issues. I cant see Van being a big player this off season other than getting their RFA's signed in time for training camp. JB likely will look within his prospect pool rather than go shopping with the eye-ties wad
It’s hard to know whether they will be players in UFA. For all we know it won’t be Elmer making the call. I think it’s even money whether he’s back or not. Thing is there are no centres in the system. Sutter is gone, Gaudette has had chances and can’t cut it. Beagle is a useless bum who thankfully only has one more year. They NEED a third line centre. Fredo can buy out Eriksson, Holtby and Virtanen to free up some space. I doubt he does that for Elmer due to all his past blunders in UFA season. He may do it for an incoming GM.

And please don’t build in another excuse that Benning will be consumed with his own issues. He needs to be proactive instead of sitting around with his finger in his ass. “We wan out of time” isn’t going to cut it
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I can see a coaching change but not replacing the GM yet. His drafting will buy him at least 1 more year I reckon. If next year they continue to suck then all bets are off