What are the Canucks Missing to be a Contender?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: What are the Canucks Missing to be a Contender?

Post by Tciso »

Nothing. We got Vesey :D :D

Seriously, we just need a few more years. Kids need to grow, and our prospects need to step up.

2022/23 could look like :

Boeser Petey JT
Pod Bo Hog
Gadovich Gaud Jake
Motte Lind Focht

Hughes Schmidt
Juolevi Meyers
Rathbone Tryamkin
Woo

Demko
DiPietro

That line-up has 18 drafted players, one UFA signing, and 3 players acquired by trades.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Tciso wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:11 am Nothing. We got Vesey :D :D

Seriously, we just need a few more years. Kids need to grow, and our prospects need to step up.

2022/23 could look like :

Boeser Petey JT
Pod Bo Hog
Gadovich Gaud Jake
Motte Lind Focht

Hughes Schmidt
Juolevi Meyers
Rathbone Tryamkin
Woo

Demko
DiPietro

That line-up has 18 drafted players, one UFA signing, and 3 players acquired by trades.
I mentioned this in another thread about a week ago, and I agree wholeheartedly. This is what Benning meant when he said ‘the plan’ about 2 years ago. Competing for a cup through draft and development. Does any other team have that kind of compilation of players?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

rikster wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:25 am
We in Vancouver are so concerned with the secondary players as if they will get the team closer to the Cup...

There will come a day when they become key members of a deep Cup run, but that day is a few years away and when that day comes those debates will be more relevant...

Take care..
I think I'm with Rikster, this team has the important pieces, now it's just a matter of catching lightning in a bottle.

St Louis and Tampa and the Caps took 10-15 years to do so.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I identify a core as the top four forwards, top two D and goalie. We have 6 of 7 but still lack a younger version of Alex Edler or Dan Hamhuis.

As for being contenders they need three pretty big pieces. A 2/3 defender that can eat a lot of tough, garbage minutes. Think a younger Hamhuis or Edler. They need a legit 3rd line centre with speed who can dish the puck, play hard minutes and kill penalties. And they need a legit play driving winger to play with Horvat
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:50 am Why are we even talking about Hodgson? I've never compared them, but maybe that might be a close one in terms of what's really there versus what some people think is there. Gaudette is the second coming of Mason Raymond.....just a bit slower and at center. If Gaudette is still even a NHL player when Vancouver wins the cup he will be a non-factor in said win.

"reminds you of Cody Hodgson in Boston" -Shorty

I just thought of Cody because of a recent televised game. MayRay? I dunno. Yeah, Raymond plays wing and is a lefty. Gauds is a righty and I think he has a better shot, more grit and better 2-way player. I always thought of MayRay as a speedy offensive winger and see Gauds as a 2-way centre. Gauds is looking like a versatile guy now who can also play wing.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:29 am
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:29 am
Mëds wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:50 am Why are we even talking about Hodgson? I've never compared them, but maybe that might be a close one in terms of what's really there versus what some people think is there. Gaudette is the second coming of Mason Raymond.....just a bit slower and at center. If Gaudette is still even a NHL player when Vancouver wins the cup he will be a non-factor in said win.

I just thought of Cody because of a recent televised game. MayRay? I dunno. Yeah, Raymond plays wing and is a lefty. Gauds is a righty and I think he has a better shot, more grit and better 2-way player. I always thought of MayRay as a speedy offensive winger and see Gauds as a 2-way centre. Gauds is looking like a versatile guy now who can also play wing.
Raymond was a good 2-way player, he was probably 3rd best on the team in terms of defensive skills amongst wingers (Hansen and Burrows were better). So I'm not sure I see where you think Gaudette is better that way. Raymond had an underrated wristshot but often used a snap/slapshot.....it wasn't super quality, neither is Gaudette's.

My comparison to Raymond is the size and frame, and lack of physical game. I suppose if you think Gaudette is a gritty player you must think that Sutter is a pummeling forechecker.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Micky wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 am
Man, that was a beaut! Gaud's goal totally looked the same as that one. I remember thinking at the time, our players at centre ice was starting to look deadly: 1) Hank 2) Kes 3) CoHo 4) Malhotra/Lapeierre. Unfortunately, CoHo was flipped for our old buddy the Kassassian. It was a good trade, but Kass wasn't ready to be a front line player and I'm sure he still had off ice issues back then, just we didn't know about it. Gilllis was also uncomfortable to play Manny after the eye injury. Add in the fact that Hank was getting older and Kes was slowing down due to some injuries and just like that, the potential killer down the middle vanished before my very eyes.

I don't think this will happen this time around as our top centremen are still very young and they're only going to get better. :D
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

A top pairing defenseman & a few more capable fill-ins for when the inevitable injuries occur.
Either another center, or if Miller centers a line a top 6 winger.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:17 am I identify a core as the top four forwards, top two D and goalie. We have 6 of 7 but still lack a younger version of Alex Edler or Dan Hamhuis.

As for being contenders they need three pretty big pieces. A 2/3 defender that can eat a lot of tough, garbage minutes. Think a younger Hamhuis or Edler. They need a legit 3rd line centre with speed who can dish the puck, play hard minutes and kill penalties. And they need a legit play driving winger to play with Horvat
I'm with you on the missing dman. Willie Mitchell minus the playoff giveaways :scowl:
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:00 am
Micky wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 am
Man, that was a beaut! Gaud's goal totally looked the same as that one. I remember thinking at the time, our players at centre ice was starting to look deadly: 1) Hank 2) Kes 3) CoHo 4) Malhotra/Lapeierre. Unfortunately, CoHo was flipped for our old buddy the Kassassian. It was a good trade, but Kass wasn't ready to be a front line player and I'm sure he still had off ice issues back then, just we didn't know about it. Gilllis was also uncomfortable to play Manny after the eye injury. Add in the fact that Hank was getting older and Kes was slowing down due to some injuries and just like that, the potential killer down the middle vanished before my very eyes.

I don't think this will happen this time around as our top centremen are still very young and they're only going to get better. :D
So because a RH shot center scored a goal on a slapshot that looked similar to another RH shot center who took a slapshot from a similar area on the ice and the both happened to score, that makes them comparable players?

Shit. Every time I see a LH shooting center wire a slapper while coming down on the rush I'm gonna think I'm watching the next Wayne Gretzky.

Seriously, does your mom know you're using her computer to post on a hockey forum instead of doing your homework?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:17 am I identify a core as the top four forwards, top two D and goalie. We have 6 of 7 but still lack a younger version of Alex Edler or Dan Hamhuis.

Pretty legit.

I get a kick out of the people who think we are only 1 or 2 pieces away from being on the same level as a team like Tampa.

HEEEEYYYY!!! Speaking of Tampa.....Stamkos is RH shooting centerman who scores on slapshots. Gaudette totally reminds me of Stamkos! :roll:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:19 pm
This guy from the DailyHive thinks we're missing:

a) Matchup Centre man

b) Shut down D-man
Trades are far and few between this season, a lot of teams got screwed by the flat cap and are conscientious about it.

But we'll see some moves done for sure, but it probably won't be like other crazy trade deadline days.

If anything I think we let a lot of the UFA's go this offseason, re-sign our RFA's, see who Seattle takes, and go after:

a) Wennberg (two-way center who can penalty kill and can actually pass/get assists)
b) Savard (shot-blocker machine, hitter, righty, basically a smidgen more talented Tanev)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:28 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:19 pm
This guy from the DailyHive thinks we're missing:

a) Matchup Centre man

b) Shut down D-man
Trades are far and few between this season, a lot of teams got screwed by the flat cap and are conscientious about it.

But we'll see some moves done for sure, but it probably won't be like other crazy trade deadline days.

If anything I think we let a lot of the UFA's go this offseason, re-sign our RFA's, see who Seattle takes, and go after:

a) Wennberg (two-way center who can penalty kill and can actually pass/get assists)
b) Savard (shot-blocker machine, hitter, righty, basically a smidgen more talented Tanev)
No tall d man blaster?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:16 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:28 am If anything I think we let a lot of the UFA's go this offseason, re-sign our RFA's, see who Seattle takes, and go after:

No tall d man blaster?
Nah, I've switched gears to the tall black knight ala Seth Jones 2022 UFA...akin to the Ducks getting Scott Neidermayer, or the Bruins getting Chara as UFA's, ultimately helping them win a Cup.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.