2022 Draft Class

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: 2022 Draft Class

Post by Carl Yagro »

This seems to be the general attitude from the past few generations.

Parents and other adults constantly damning them with false praise about how exceptional they are. I'm sure people our age grew up with more criticisms and beatdowns than praise... or at least equal amounts of each.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:05 pm This seems to be the general attitude from the past few generations.

Parents and other adults constantly damning them with false praise about how exceptional they are. I'm sure people our age grew up with more criticisms and beatdowns than praise... or at least equal amounts of each.
Sounds like someone needs a hug.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:28 pm Sounds like someone needs a hug.
Why? Did you get hugged into exceptional status?
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:54 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:28 pm Sounds like someone needs a hug.
I didn't know I had exceptional status, appreciate the compliment Hank!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

You're most welcome, you exceptional human! :wink:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah, I dont know, kid answered a question imo.

Dude sits across from me in an interview he'd better come across as confident and be ready to tell me he's the man for the job.

If that's what he thinks so be it.

Quotes can get snipped and sound worse than they actually were.

Yes, he said it.

But...

The rest of his comments sound fine to me.

Montreal would be an unbelievable place to go to if I'm lucky enough to be selected," Wright said. "I'm definitely super happy with how the results turned out."

He added: "I think it would just be extra special. First of all, a dream come true just being drafted, and then to (possibly) be drafted first overall by a franchise in that city as well, in such an unbelievable city, with that sort of fan base and the history around that organization. It would be pretty incredible and a lifelong dream come true."
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:56 pm
You lived through partying in the 99 in the 90s...that's exceptional in my books
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So the player the Canucks will end up drafting with their first pick we may see him end up making the team, being an impact player what? 3-4 years from now? How old will I be then? Blob? Trade the fucking pick ffs. Time is of the essence here.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Fun fact of the day.

Two goaltenders have been drafted 15th overall.

Each played in the NHL -- for 1 game. One for two minutes the other for seven. They combined to stop all shots they face.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/dra ... osition=15
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:17 am So the player the Canucks will end up drafting with their first pick we may see him end up making the team, being an impact player what? 3-4 years from now? How old will I be then? Blob? Trade the fucking pick ffs. Time is of the essence here.
They haven’t had a first round pick since 2019, not to mention all the seconds and thirds that have been coughed up in the last few years. And you wonder why the prospect puddle is so awful.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

UWSaint wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:49 am Fun fact of the day.

Each played in the NHL -- for 1 game. One for two minutes the other for seven. They combined to stop all shots they face.

Interesting link - Canucks have never drafted at 15th ??
(3 goalies btw)
JT Miller - a 15th pick - along with Bossy, Sakic and handful of other greats.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:01 am
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:56 pm
You lived through partying in the 99 in the 90s...that's exceptional in my books
:lol: :lol:
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cornuck wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:29 am

(3 goalies btw)
The link does a great job of showing that players drafted halfway through the first round can be great, can be serviceable, or can have little to no impact. Some of those players have impact fairly quickly, some take a long time to develop but develop into something steady. Pull up any draft number in the mid-first round and you get a similar pattern, though there are some anomalies. (E.g., 16th overall and 13th overall looks similar to 15th overall, but 14th overall seems to perform better, which is almost certainly randomness at play). People probably aren't all that surprised that there are a handful of great players--picking the right guy at 15 can be hugely impactful--and many are solid top 4/top 6 contributors, but they might be surprised at the frequency of whiffs (which only increases when you get into the last third of the first round and becomes the median outcome by the mid second round).

You can sort this site by attribute. I selected to sort by year for a few mid 1st rounds and a quick inspection had me thinking that the volatility has been decreasing over time -- more mid first rounders are serviceable players or better in the past, say 20-25 years (excluding the most recent 3 drafts which are certainly too early to tell) have a better yield than the first 25 years of the draft. This would seem to make sense from the perspective that scouting is better on nearly every level -- more scouts, bigger budgets, more ways to see players, more information being gathered, more analytical tools being deployed.
Hono_rary Canadian
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Cornuck wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:29 am

(3 goalies btw)
Great players can be found at #15 - in a super deep draft. This is not one of those drafts. If the pick ends up as a serviceable middle-six or 3rd-pairing defender, that’s about as much as one can reasonably ask.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Agreed Lancer, it’s not a deep draft at all. I guess ya gotta hope we land a Hoglander or something with that pick
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau