Elias Pettersson is Vancouver's most overrated player

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Elias Pettersson is Vancouver's most overrated player

Post by Topper »

He is very good though.

The godlike elite superstar status heaped on him is nonsense.

He's closer to Naslund talent than Bure talent.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Elias Pettersson is Vancouver's most overrated player

Post by rats19 »

At this point I don’t find this too be wrong topper 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:09 am He is very good though.

Naslund if he could play any D. But yeah pinheads that call him generational etc are out to fucking lunch. I think he will top the twins, but Pavel he is not. Definitely a guy you could win with as your go to #1 forward though.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Durability might be the biggest obstacle for him. He's elite but not the force Bure was. Pavel took some of those break-away passes at speed when the two line offside rule was still around.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:18 am

Naslund if he could play any D. But yeah pinheads that call him generational etc are out to fucking lunch. I think he will top the twins, but Pavel he is not. Definitely a guy you could win with as your go to #1 forward though.
Hank with a shot is what I hope for.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 am

Yes... good comp. Give Hank a bit more speed and tenacity and they are clones.

Hughes and Petey are real nice building blocks. Franchise players even. But this generational nonsense is way too much pressure to heap onto these kids. If each guy is a top 5 or 10 player at his position for the better part of a decade, those are damn good players and guys you can win with.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:47 am
Topper wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 am

Yes... good comp. Give Hank a bit more speed and tenacity and they are clones.

Hughes and Petey are real nice building blocks. Franchise players even. But this generational nonsense is way too much pressure to heap onto these kids. If each guy is a top 5 or 10 player at his position for the better part of a decade, those are damn good players and guys you can win with.
If Petey could improve his speed (think it is at best above average right now) and become better at face offs then he could be a 'generational' talent. Right now he is a solid 1 C. To be near point per game at his age is nothing to sneeze at but he is not in the same category as a McDavid, Eichel (when not pouting) or MacKinnon.

Edit:

He also needs to build up his frame a bit to be able to better withstand the day to day grind of playing hockey at this level.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Generational = Bobby, Wayne, Mario, Sid, Ovi, Connor. That is all.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Generational? Nope. But he is well on his way to a HOF career similar to what we saw with the Sedins. I think their careers will be a good guideline for Petey.

The Sedins started out like Bambis on ice, and grew stronger each year. It appears that Petey has a similar work attitude, which will only help his progress. I'm not worried about his future, but he's not a Bure (and not many were).

Hughes could have a bigger impact on this team in the years to come - but it will be interesting and fun to watch.

I'll add Demko in there as well for the debate of top impact player moving forward. If continues along the same trajectory, he could be key to this team achieving anything.

So - who will get a major trophy first? Petey with the Hart? Quinn with a Norris? Demko with a Vezina?

And yes, 'generational' is vastly overused - Dude, your thoughts? ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Petey is nothing like the Russian Rocket Bure who was electric as they come, Blitzkrieg'in through defenses.

Elias Pettersson is more tactile with finesse, analyzing opportunities to score, creative and unique in his attack, he doesn't like being predictable, so he switches his attack prowess on a dime, adapting to situations with his agility and elite stick handling ability....all topped with his "102.4 mph shot, was the second hardest shot ever recorded by a forward at the NHL Skills Competition, behind only Stamkos at 103.9 mph"

Even the mighty Shea Weber was impressed by Petey's shot.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/she ... slap-shot/

Not to mention as a sophomore Petey scoring 18pts in 17 playoff games.

He's a special player regardless and the leagues top gunners and coaches all know this youngster Petey's got elite skills.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Speaking of Demko, Dhaliwal is reporting (taj - tweeted) that Demko's next contract looks to be a short term deal between 3.5 - 4.5 mil per season.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:11 pm Petey is nothing like the Russian Rocket Bure who was electric as they come, Blitzkrieg'in through defenses.

Elias Pettersson is more tactile with finesse, analyzing opportunities to score, creative and unique in his attack, he doesn't like being predictable, so he switches his attack prowess on a dime, adapting to situations with his agility and elite stick handling ability....all topped with his "102.4 mph shot, was the second hardest shot ever recorded by a forward at the NHL Skills Competition, behind only Stamkos at 103.9 mph"

He's a special player regardless and the leagues top gunners and coaches all know this youngster Petey's got elite skills.
So is that why he's out? They're calling it an injury but really Petey is sitting out because he hates the PP setup that is predictable? :P

Honestly, for a guy who "doesn't like being predictable" I haven't seen much from him that screams unpredictable yet.

He's talented, no question. I don't see him being better than a top-15 C in this league at this point. You can still win with that, given the right supporting cast. However, you can't win with a guy like Petey if you pay him 8 figures.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:11 pm Petey is nothing like the Russian Rocket Bure who was electric as they come, Blitzkrieg'in through defenses.

So is that why he's out? They're calling it an injury but really Petey is sitting out because he hates the PP setup that is predictable? :P

Honestly, for a guy who "doesn't like being predictable" I haven't seen much from him that screams unpredictable yet.

He's talented, no question. I don't see him being better than a top-15 C in this league at this point. You can still win with that, given the right supporting cast. However, you can't win with a guy like Petey if you pay him 8 figures.
In only his 2nd season in the NHL, Petey for centers in the playoffs, he ranked 6th in scoring with the Canucks only making it to the 2nd round, had we made it to finals his point totals would have been top tier. He scored when it counts, and he's averaging some elite pts per game in that time span during the regular season.

It's easy to criticize said player now that he's got an injury, which imo is pretty shady, but it seems pretty obvious he's a special talent and will only get better as reaches his prime years and gains more experience, sheesh the kid just turned 22 years old - 4 months ago.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:13 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 pm

In only his 2nd season in the NHL, Petey for centers in the playoffs, he ranked 6th in scoring with the Canucks only making it to the 2nd round, had we made it to finals his point totals would have been top tier. He scored when it counts, and he's averaging some elite pts per game in that time span during the regular season.

It's easy to criticize said player now that he's got an injury, which imo is pretty shady, but it seems pretty obvious he's a special talent and will only get better as reaches his prime years and gains more experience, sheesh the kid just turned 22 years old - 4 months ago.
Shady. LMAO. I'm not criticizing him based on his being injured. I've been skeptical all year while watching him fumble the puck, pass up on shots that weren't "just perfect", turnover pucks, etc.

And to say he scored when it counts his horseshit. He had 4 points in the 7 games against Vegas, and the Canucks were shutout 3 times. He was as absent as the rest of the team in that final game.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:31 pm Shady. LMAO. I'm not criticizing him based on his being injured. I've been skeptical all year while watching him fumble the puck, pass up on shots that weren't "just perfect", turnover pucks, etc.

And to say he scored when it counts his horseshit. He had 4 points in the 7 games against Vegas, and the Canucks were shutout 3 times. He was as absent as the rest of the team in that final game.
Mëds, your opinion on this must be taken with a 50-pound block of salt given your legendary antiSwede stance.

____
Try to focus on someday.