Which of the core should be signed long term this summer?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which player(s) would you sign to a long term contract this summer?

Poll runs till Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:44 am

Pettersson
No votes
Hughes
16%
Demko
11%
Pettersson and Hughes
16%
Pettersson and Demko
No votes
Hughes and Demko
5%
All - Pettersson, Hughes and Demko
47%
None - Neither Pettersson, Hughes nor Demko
5%

Total votes: 19

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Which of the core should be signed long term this summer?

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:42 am So what. The players being brought up went to finals or won cups on their entry level deals and were pretty much constantly in the playoffs. They had experienced a ton of team success. The Canucks have been a pretty mediocre squad through Hughes and Perry’s entry level deals.

This is still a pretty scabby team that needs some major parts.

2-3 year bridge makes the most sense. Follow that up with the max term contract. To me if the player insists on a 4 or 5 year deal that walks him right to free agency he has on eye on an escape route.
In 5 years, 2026, the young gun players playing right now will all be in prime mode, with the current prospects developed to at least some of them NHL able, and who knows who else JB will draft and to the pile of prospects over that span, so ultimately the Canucks will be a far much better team than they are currently and probably will be experiencing consistent success.

With that, Petey would not be looking to escape, but instead re-sign.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:09 am So whats a mortgage payment look like on a million+ home anyway? 5k a month?
Not sure. I’ve split mine up between mortgage and line of credit. But the banks are giving money away right now with little down at low rates. One of the reasons for the current real estate boom is some economic quantum finance investment guru held an impromptu at UBC recently explaining his math behind where and why to invest in certain areas real estate in Vancouver. Lynn Valley was one of them. It’s basically local buyers, middle age, mid to upper class double incomes with young families and financial help from their rich retired and dying parents that are fuelling the current boom. Detached home’s in the lower mainland will never go down due to the ever so dwindling stock combined with the demand to own a detached home in the lower mainland
“Benning should fired for not drafting Jack Wise” - Doyle Hargraves
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:04 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:03 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:51 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:36 am I left van in 2000 because i was outraged at the 300k asking price on houses in burnaby. I guess i should've probably sucked it up lol
Dumpy old Tear downs in Lynn valley are hitting the market between $1.8 and $2 million and selling $200,000 to $300,000 over the asking with multiple offers, it’s insane. Go fucking figure
This won’t last. As Covid gets eliminated more people will list and interest rates will rise as the economy opens up. Great time to sell. There will be a lot of bankrupt millennials in half a decade when they have to refinance their over-extended mortgages at normalized interest rates.
Settle down, Cherry. You’re being worse than Tony Gallagher
Holy fuck! I’ve been insulted and taken down a peg or two before, but that was just cruel. :wow:
We are all Jim Benning.
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:19 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:42 am So what. The players being brought up went to finals or won cups on their entry level deals and were pretty much constantly in the playoffs. They had experienced a ton of team success. The Canucks have been a pretty mediocre squad through Hughes and Perry’s entry level deals.

This is still a pretty scabby team that needs some major parts.

2-3 year bridge makes the most sense. Follow that up with the max term contract. To me if the player insists on a 4 or 5 year deal that walks him right to free agency he has on eye on an escape route.
In 5 years, 2026, the young gun players playing right now will all be in prime mode, with the current prospects developed to at least some of them NHL able, and who knows who else JB will draft and to the pile of prospects over that span, so ultimately the Canucks will be a far much better team than they are currently and probably will be experiencing consistent success.

We hope they will be a far better team. Leverage is key. The bridge + the eight year deal would lock both in for their entire primes. We just watched the twins suck shit their last two years and we watched Eriksson suck from 31 onwards. Don’t use Crosby as a comparable. Neither of these kids will equal Sid.
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:24 am Detached home’s in the lower mainland will never go down.
These could be some famous last words. There are different opinions. As a public service, I’ll leave this link to Garth Turner who is admittedly a housing bear if anyone is interested.

https://www.greaterfool.ca/

If all the money the government pumped into the economy to fight Covid causes inflation to rise dramatically, interest rates will follow to fight inflation. Housing prices and interest rates have a historical inverse relationship. If interest rates go high enough home prices will go down everywhere. Okay, I’ll stop being Tony Gallagher and get back to hockey.
We are all Jim Benning.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:39 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:19 am In 5 years, 2026, the young gun players playing right now will all be in prime mode, with the current prospects developed to at least some of them NHL able, and who knows who else JB will draft and to the pile of prospects over that span, so ultimately the Canucks will be a far much better team than they are currently and probably will be experiencing consistent success.

We hope they will be a far better team. Leverage is key. The bridge + the eight year deal would lock both in for their entire primes. We just watched the twins suck shit their last two years and we watched Eriksson suck from 31 onwards. Don’t use Crosby as a comparable. Neither of these kids will equal Sid.
Yeah but even at 35 the Sedins were scoring at a high end level, but after that their game went down, this 5yr/8yr deal will take Petey to 34.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:17 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:24 am Detached home’s in the lower mainland will never go down.
These could be some famous last words. There are different opinions. As a public service, I’ll leave this link to Garth Turner who is admittedly a housing bear if anyone is interested.

If all the money the government pumped into the economy to fight Covid causes inflation to rise dramatically, interest rates will follow to fight inflation. Housing prices and interest rates have a historical inverse relationship. If interest rates go high enough home prices will go down everywhere. Okay, I’ll stop being Tony Gallagher and get back to hockey.
Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, NV, WestVan the detached homes prices won't go down, but elsewhere they might hold steady for many years. People are flocking to Langley, Chilliwack for cheaper houses.
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:19 am In 5 years, 2026, the young gun players playing right now will all be in prime mode, with the current prospects developed to at least some of them NHL able, and who knows who else JB will draft and to the pile of prospects over that span, so ultimately the Canucks will be a far much better team than they are currently and probably will be experiencing consistent success.

Yeah but even at 35 the Sedins were scoring at a high end level, but after that their game went down, this 5yr/8yr deal will take Petey to 34.
I like leverage... the upper hand you might say. I’d rather management had it than the player.
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:39 am

Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, NV, WestVan the detached homes prices won't go down, but elsewhere they might hold steady for many years. People are flocking to Langley, Chilliwack for cheaper houses.
Yeah this isn’t just a Vancouver thing. House prices have risen across most of the country with these interest rates. The rates can’t be jacked up too quickly or millions of folks won’t be able to pay their mortgage in five years and they’ll have no equity in their homes. I can see a flattening but the prices will not crater.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:59 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 am

I like leverage... the upper hand you might say. I’d rather management had it than the player.
Have to agree with Doyle here. Keep control Sky; the Sedins are never a good comparison to others because of their twin sync thing that helped make them so good. I think they played two years too long. I wonder where we'd be right now if they had called it quits earlier.
"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:01 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:39 am

Yeah this isn’t just a Vancouver thing. House prices have risen across most of the country with these interest rates. The rates can’t be jacked up too quickly or millions of folks won’t be able to pay their mortgage in five years and they’ll have no equity in their homes. I can see a flattening but the prices will not crater.
It's insane out here in Langley/Abby too. In a friends' neighbourhood a newly renovated house just got sold for $1.5M. It'll be torn down and replaced with a McMansion.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:26 am
theman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:45 am
Meds wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm
theman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:36 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 am You lock all 3 down long term. They are the hub like Terrace is to Prince Rupert, Kitimat and Smithers. You need a hub of core players surrounded by your satellite players, plain and simple
Never thought I would see those city’s names on this message board, but you forgot Stewart.
Terrace is not a hub for Prince Rupert.
Yes it is. It is the hub to all those surrounding towns. The centrifugal force
As someone who lived in the region for far too long, I agree with Chef, Terrace is the hub city for the NW. My only issue with his post is the omission of Kitwanga, Nass Valley and Stewart.
Then why is Meds so out to lunch with this. Everybody knows that Terrace is the hub city ti this outlier towns
Meds lives in Terrace (for the last 13 years), he’s not out to lunch. The only thing Terrace might be a hub for us healthcare as Mills Memorial is the Trauma and Upcare Hospital for the NW. Although orthopaedic surgery goes to Kitimat or Rupert.

Rupert is a port city and has its own airport. People from Rupert don’t come here much at all.

Terrace is a hub for Kitimat, Nas Valley, and everything up high 37N.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Meds wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:09 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:26 am
theman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:45 am
Meds wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm
theman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:36 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 am You lock all 3 down long term. They are the hub like Terrace is to Prince Rupert, Kitimat and Smithers. You need a hub of core players surrounded by your satellite players, plain and simple
Never thought I would see those city’s names on this message board, but you forgot Stewart.
Terrace is not a hub for Prince Rupert.
Yes it is. It is the hub to all those surrounding towns. The centrifugal force
As someone who lived in the region for far too long, I agree with Chef, Terrace is the hub city for the NW. My only issue with his post is the omission of Kitwanga, Nass Valley and Stewart.
Then why is Meds so out to lunch with this. Everybody knows that Terrace is the hub city ti this outlier towns
Meds lives in Terrace (for the last 13 years), he’s not out to lunch. The only thing Terrace might be a hub for us healthcare as Mills Memorial is the Trauma and Upcare Hospital for the NW. Although orthopaedic surgery goes to Kitimat or Rupert.

Rupert is a port city and has its own airport. People from Rupert don’t come here much at all.

Terrace is a hub for Kitimat, Nas Valley, and everything up high 37N.
You have lived there for 13 years? No wonder you are a grumpy fucker. I fled from there in 2002 and have never looked back.

By the way people from Terrace only go to Rupert when they want to dine at a restaurant overlooking the ocean.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

However you slice it a lot of money is changing hands so folks can live on what high officials continually reiterate is unceded Squamish, Musqeaum and Tsleil Waututh land.
el rey del mambo
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:39 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:33 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:30 am I thought you lived on the Cap Reserve
I bet Doyle is jealous that my shitty old house in Lynn Valley is pushing $2 million while his in Tri Cities hasn’t reached $1 million yet
My neighbor just sold his place for 1.35
You in the Heights Blob? Thats what a house down the street from me went for this week - at least that was asking price. Are we neighbours?