Which of the core should be signed long term this summer?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which player(s) would you sign to a long term contract this summer?

Poll runs till Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:44 am

Pettersson
No votes
Hughes
16%
Demko
11%
Pettersson and Hughes
16%
Pettersson and Demko
No votes
Hughes and Demko
5%
All - Pettersson, Hughes and Demko
47%
None - Neither Pettersson, Hughes nor Demko
5%

Total votes: 19

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Which of the core should be signed long term this summer?

Post by Meds »

theman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:36 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 am You lock all 3 down long term. They are the hub like Terrace is to Prince Rupert, Kitimat and Smithers. You need a hub of core players surrounded by your satellite players, plain and simple
Never thought I would see those city’s names on this message board, but you forgot Stewart.
Terrace is not a hub for Prince Rupert.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:33 pm
Meds wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:33 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:32 pm
Meds wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:08 pm Pettersson hasn’t shown us anything more than a guy who might produce at an 82 point pace. He hasn’t won anything besides a Calder. He’s not in the same category as those guys you mention, and the state of the organization isn’t where those ones were either.
Then by that token, you shouldn't have to worry about Petey's contract, bridging etc, and by all means an easy re-sign down the road.
Who's worried?
You and Hargraves seem concerned.
I wouldn't say concerned. I'd say we are just pointing out that we've all watched countless teams go down the road of having to give the massive payday to their best player but it comes when the guy is in his late 20's and you know full well that he's going to be worth 50% of that cap hit for the last 3 years of the contract. Ergo, short bridge, then long term. If Petey wants say $9M x 3 or $7M x 8 to play here well frankly I'm leaning towards the $9M now and hope to give him $?M x 8 in 3 years. Basically if what we're saying is that Petey is the core 1C that we go forward with and compete during the window to win, then I want him maximally productive during that time. Not closing the window early because he turns into a 50 point 2nd line guy for the last 3 years of his deal sucking down cap space like Loui.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Meds wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:33 pm I'd say we are just pointing out that we've all watched countless teams go down the road of having to give the massive payday to their best player...

but it comes when the guy is in his late 20's and you know full well that he's going to be worth 50% of that cap hit for the last 3 years of the contract.

Ergo, short bridge, then long term.

If Petey wants say $9M x 3 or $7M x 8 to play here well frankly I'm leaning towards the $9M now and hope to give him $?M x 8 in 3 years.

Basically if what we're saying is that Petey is the core 1C that we go forward with and compete during the window to win, then I want him maximally productive during that time.

Not closing the window early because he turns into a 50 point 2nd line guy for the last 3 years of his deal sucking down cap space like Loui.
I'd argue that Petey isn't even in the same ballpark as Loui, and that is a bad comparison, Loui has always been a two-way non-electric scorer, his bread and butter over the years has been around the net, powerplay type, not super flashy. While Petey is a franchise type of #1C, extremely creative, always finding new ways to score and has a howitzer of a shot, almost 100mp/h at the all-star game.

And a counter point with your age theory, is I present one Niklas Backstrom.
Backstrom
yr 1: 69pts, .84 ptspg
yr 2: 88pts, 1.07 ptspg
yr 3: 101pts, 1.23 ptspg

10yrs x $6.7M, re-signed 5yrs x $9.2M.

Elias Pettersson
yr 1: 66pts, .93 ptspg
yr 2: 66pts, .97 ptspg
yr 3: on pace for 42pts, .81 ptspg

Backstrom is now 33 yrs old and is still scoring over a point per game.

A 5 yr, then 8 year for Petey would bring him to 34 yrs of age when that contract would end, where even the slower Sedins were still scoring at a great clip, and Petey would then take a paycut by then if he decides to retire a Canuck and get his jersey retired in the rafters with Bure, Linden, Naslund, Smyl and the Sedins.

Daniel Sedin at 35yrs of age scored 76pts .93 ptspg that year.
Henrik at 35yrs of age scored 73pts, .89 ptspg.

And Petey strikes me as a type with his high IQ and skills to play with that longevity, as he learns to take hits as Henrik did, anticipating hits, bracing yourself, being strong on your skates yada yada.

With the flat cap, knowing it's not going up anytime soon, I mean it could take 4 years maybe before they up that cap, to me it seems logical for both parties to bridge at a decent AAV that satisfies both player and team at fair price and renegotiate that extension when the fans are back, everyone is vaccinated, the owners get all their money back, that they then can give Petey that max 8 year term.

But fuck it, if they can sign Petey at a decent AAV for 7-8 years then hell yeah getr done, however I foresee a 5yr bridge still aha.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

SKYO wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:35 pm Crosby is one of the five best players of all time and is a poor comparable. But Chicago and Pittsburgh had early success. It’s a different time. Short bridge 2 - 3 years then lock them up through their primes or get them to agree to eight year deals. Walking them straight to UFA could bite the team in the ass especially if they continue to stink. They won’t give a fuck how much money is on the table they will leave at first opportunity if they’ve missed playoffs six of eight years. Petey is going to miss 2 of his first three years. Keep your leverage if you are the GM. If the team stinks or they are good having one to two years of team control at the end of their next contract is a good thing. They are 24/25 and then you lock them in for their prime.
Both of those teams had dark years to tank to get those 1st/2nd overall picks.
So what. The players being brought up went to finals or won cups on their entry level deals and were pretty much constantly in the playoffs. They had experienced a ton of team success. The Canucks have been a pretty mediocre squad through Hughes and Perry’s entry level deals. This is still a pretty scabby team that needs some major parts. 2-3 year bridge makes the most sense. Follow that up with the max term contract. To me if the player insists on a 4 or 5 year deal that walks him right to free agency he has on eye on an escape route.
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Meds wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 am You lock all 3 down long term. They are the hub like Terrace is to Prince Rupert, Kitimat and Smithers. You need a hub of core players surrounded by your satellite players, plain and simple
Never thought I would see those city’s names on this message board, but you forgot Stewart.
Yes it is. It is the hub to all those surrounding towns. The centrifugal force
“Benning should fired for not drafting Jack Wise” - Doyle Hargraves
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:45 am
As someone who lived in the region for far too long, I agree with Chef, Terrace is the hub city for the NW. My only issue with his post is the omission of Kitwanga, Nass Valley and Stewart.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

theman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 am
As someone who lived in the region for far too long, I agree with Chef, Terrace is the hub city for the NW. My only issue with his post is the omission of Kitwanga, Nass Valley and Stewart.
The chef has barely left the lower mainland and most certainly has never been past clamlips
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Then why is Meds so out to lunch with this. Everybody knows that Terrace is the hub city ti this outlier towns
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 am
The chef has barely left the lower mainland and most certainly has never been past clamlips
I’m selling my shitty Vancouver Special in Lynn Valley for $2 million and I’m moving to Terrace to buy 4 houses, rent out 3 of them, live in one and retire
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

I thought you lived on the Cap Reserve
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:30 am I thought you lived on the Cap Reserve
I bet Doyle is jealous that my shitty old house in Lynn Valley is pushing $2 million while his in Tri Cities hasn’t reached $1 million yet
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Terrorist sucks. Why would you go there lol
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I left van in 2000 because i was outraged at the 300k asking price on houses in burnaby. I guess i should've probably sucked it up lol
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:33 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:30 am I thought you lived on the Cap Reserve
I bet Doyle is jealous that my shitty old house in Lynn Valley is pushing $2 million while his in Tri Cities hasn’t reached $1 million yet
My neighbor just sold his place for 1.35
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:39 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:33 am
My neighbor just sold his place for 1.35
Christ. What the living fuck is going on down there? Why havent you cashed out and retired Doyle?