Which of the core should be signed long term this summer?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which player(s) would you sign to a long term contract this summer?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:44 am

Pettersson
5%
Hughes
15%
Demko
10%
Pettersson and Hughes
15%
Pettersson and Demko
No votes
Hughes and Demko
5%
All - Pettersson, Hughes and Demko
45%
None - Neither Pettersson, Hughes nor Demko
5%

Total votes: 20

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Which of the core should be signed long term this summer?

Post by Cherry Picker »

Hard to say what is the smart move this summer when negotiating with Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko. If you can lock them up long term you might get a deal if they become stars. However, they could turn into Skinner, Turris or Duchene types and the team could end up regretting the commitment? If you were GM, who would you focus on locking up to a long term (six to eight years) contract this summer?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Which of the core should be signed long term this summer?

Post by theman »

Really hard to say, right now I would think bridge deals for all 3 would probably be best. What is Petey's injury anyway? I have a bit of a concern with him regarding being 'injury prone.' Hughes, on attack he is awesome but is still showing defensive warts to his game. Demko is starting to prove to be a solid goaltender but doesn't have much of a history to back it up, yet. I guess if I HAD to choose 1, I would go with Demko but it all depends on the actually numbers of a bridge deal vs long term deal.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hughes all day long. Elite dmen are like fucking hens teeth

Your proof is in the 50 years of futility that coincide with 50 years with no norris calibre defenseman
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

1st line centre - Pettersson
No. 1 D-man - Hughes
No 1 goalie - Demko

Of course you lock in all 3 long term. They are your 3 most important players playing the three most important positions on your team. Lock em in build and tweak around. In my opinion they are the only untouchables on the team with Pod, Hog, Brock and Bo being a slight tier down although with how Brock is playing he is close to being untouchable and I also believe that Pod is going to be a very solid NHL’er to the point of being untouchable. Something will have to give between Bo and JT as those two next contracts come up at the same time after two more seasons and both will be UFA’s. We won’t be able to sign both I wouldn’t think. Curious how that will play out
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Due to the flat cap era, expect some bridges.

Demko 3 yrs, then 8.
Petey 5 yrs, then 8.

But Hughes could get term right away, ala
E.Karlsson: 7yr, 8yr & Josi: 7yr, 8yr.
Hedman: 5yr, 8yr. Carlson: 6yr, 8yr.

Hughes 6yrs or 7yrs, then 8.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

If we want cap certainty and assuming they are at good amounts then all 3. If the asking price is too high then QH, EP and Demko in that order.

Demko I am the most leary about as goalies can be great 1 year and bust the following year. No 8 year deal for him unless it is at a freaking great deal.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pat Brisson Link..Or JP Barry Link ..Hockey Division of Creative Artists Agency ..

I think Brisson is representing both Hughes and more recently, Pettesson. Guess there's several ways to look at this. I see it as a good thing for
Benning.

Demko is represented by Jordan Neumann & George Bazos.

Canucks probably wont quite be able to sign all three long term. Be nice if they could. Might be just enough time to get a read on what others
around the league are getting (in these challenging times).
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:36 am Hughes all day long. Elite dmen are like fucking hens teeth

Your proof is in the 50 years of futility that coincide with 50 years with no norris calibre defenseman
Hughes needs to be bridged until we can see if his defensive game catches up to his offensive game.....unless he's inking an 8 year deal at $6M per, then who cares, it's a bargain for the team based on his offensive production.

But if long term is going to run $8M per season I think that's an unwise contract at this time.

He's not screaming stud, #1, all situations, defenseman to me yet.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 am Due to the flat cap era, expect some bridges.

Demko 3 yrs, then 8.
Petey 5 yrs, then 8.

Are you out of your tree again?

Demko is 25. Give him 3 and then 8???? So at 28 years old we give him the big paycheque to take him to 36 years old?

Petey should be a bridge deal. But not 5 years. He's 23 this year.That means we're paying him top dollars until he's in his mid 36. He's already proving to be less durable than one hopes for out of a 1C (though he's still pretty hardy considering his frame). Give him 2 or 3 and then 8. Takes him to 32.

Hughes? Same story. Bridge him until you know he's that #1 all situations guy.....or until you know he's not.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I think right now you go after Demko with the long-term deal. He's already signed a small "show me" bridge as a backup. Last summer he stepped in and proved he was the man. He was a bit shaky to start this season, however, every talking head and hockey fan with half a brain saw the Triple-A quality chances that the Canucks were sacrificing him to on a nightly basis. He's 3rd in the league in goals prevented above chances or whatever that stat is. The guy is definitely a starter, and likely elite quality.

At 25 years old if you can sign him to the long term 7 or 8 year deal now, it means we have him locked up until he's 32 or 33, and if he's still top tier at that point then extend him on a shorter term deal, which he will be more likely to sign because he's already been given the big contract rather than still be seeking it at 28. Remember how we didn't want to give Markstrom a 6 year deal at 30 years old? Yeah, same story for a guy who wants 8 years at 28 years old.

Pettersson and Hughes are 3 and 4 years younger than Demko, respectively. Lock up Demko first.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:26 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 am Due to the flat cap era, expect some bridges.

Demko 3 yrs, then 8.
Petey 5 yrs, then 8.

Are you out of your tree again?

Demko is 25. Give him 3 and then 8???? So at 28 years old we give him the big paycheque to take him to 36 years old?

Petey should be a bridge deal. But not 5 years. He's 23 this year.That means we're paying him top dollars until he's in his mid 36. He's already proving to be less durable than one hopes for out of a 1C (though he's still pretty hardy considering his frame). Give him 2 or 3 and then 8. Takes him to 32.

Hughes? Same story. Bridge him until you know he's that #1 all situations guy.....or until you know he's not.
For Demko doesn't have to be 8, but a term extension after 3.

Petey 5yrs and 8 is standard practise for franchise #1 centers.

If you can lock in Hughes with term right now at a reasonable AAV, ya gotta do it, dudes a beast scoring wise and the scary part is he's only going to get better.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes let’s walk Petey straight to UFA shall we? :lol:

It’s either a 2 or 3 year deal or it’s fucking 8

It ain’t rocket surgery
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:39 pm Yes let’s walk Petey straight to UFA shall we? :lol:

It’s either a 2 or 3 year deal or it’s fucking 8

It ain’t rocket surgery
Some people just can’t figure it out.

Despite the fact that we’ve mocked the shit out of Dubas for getting bent over by Matthew’s and giving him $11M on a bridge to UFA.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:39 pm It ain’t rocket surgery
No, no it isn’t.
It’s friggin brain science! That’s what it is!
:)
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You lock all 3 down long term. They are the hub like Terrace is to Prince Rupert, Kitimat and Smithers. You need a hub of core players surrounded by your satellite players, plain and simple
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau