Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Benning try righting the ship by making a change behind the bench? If so with who?

Yes - Gerard Gallant
16
50%
Yes - Mike Babcock
1
3%
Yes - Bruce Boudreau
1
3%
Yes - Adam Oates
1
3%
Yes - Randy Carlyle
0
No votes
No
13
41%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8788
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Meds »

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm Season is over, might as well ride it out now and let Green scorch the earth playing Sutter as 3rd line center and Virtanen in the top 6 and take the lottery pick. The only trades I'd consider are for picks but Pearson is the only marketable pending UFA they have and Virtanen might return something with salary retention of a million or so. Would be hilarious and the ultimate Benning move to deal a 2nd rounder to the Wings for Stecher though.

In the offseason they need to add a POHO and new GM and coaching staff less Clark. They can start the POHO search immediately. Then I'd be willing to listen on every single player they have.
If they add a legit POHO then the GM doesn't necessarily need to be replaced.

Agreed on the coaching staff. Although with the group of soft souls we have in the locker room they'd probably be pouting an pining for Travis all season.
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22248
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Vin Tanner »

Micky wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:20 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm Season is over, might as well ride it out now and let Green scorch the earth playing Sutter as 3rd line center and Virtanen in the top 6 and take the lottery pick. The only trades I'd consider are for picks but Pearson is the only marketable pending UFA they have and Virtanen might return something with salary retention of a million or so. Would be hilarious and the ultimate Benning move to deal a 2nd rounder to the Wings for Stecher though.

In the offseason they need to add a POHO and new GM and coaching staff less Clark. They can start the POHO search immediately. Then I'd be willing to listen on every single player they have.
Folks love to overreact. A POHO is a good idea but not like what Linden was. With hardly any revenue coming to the owners this year and we'll see about next, I cannot imagine millions of $$ are going to be spent on non player personell. I think that vote of confidence recently from Francesco was
his way of saying that in an around the backdoor kind of way. The financial situation is going to be at it's worst by the end of what looks to be, a non playoff campaign.
BUT: I don't think Green's wages are all that high and I certainly would not be adverse to punting him now and putting a quality coach with some experience in there for the rest of this year and see what shakes out. This team is not as bad as their record indicates. Generally this points to the coach, IMO.
Nobody has once suggested hiring a POHO like Linden was. EVERYONE knows he was a face or a figurehead.

Ol Crafty Gomer ahead of the curve.

‘I gotsta to see my name in every thread’

‘I broke that story’

:lol:
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 15878
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Micky »

^^^^^ :bounce:

Maybe it's unrealistic to expect a new head coach at this point in the year because in essence, that could mean all three suits behind the bench depending on the autonomy given to the new guy.
What about ditching Newell Brown and bringing in someone more suited to today's game to help Travis Green for the rest of this season.
I see Green conferring constantly with Brown during games.
"evolution"
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8788
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:40 am
Micky wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:20 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm Season is over, might as well ride it out now and let Green scorch the earth playing Sutter as 3rd line center and Virtanen in the top 6 and take the lottery pick. The only trades I'd consider are for picks but Pearson is the only marketable pending UFA they have and Virtanen might return something with salary retention of a million or so. Would be hilarious and the ultimate Benning move to deal a 2nd rounder to the Wings for Stecher though.

In the offseason they need to add a POHO and new GM and coaching staff less Clark. They can start the POHO search immediately. Then I'd be willing to listen on every single player they have.
Folks love to overreact. A POHO is a good idea but not like what Linden was. With hardly any revenue coming to the owners this year and we'll see about next, I cannot imagine millions of $$ are going to be spent on non player personell. I think that vote of confidence recently from Francesco was
his way of saying that in an around the backdoor kind of way. The financial situation is going to be at it's worst by the end of what looks to be, a non playoff campaign.
BUT: I don't think Green's wages are all that high and I certainly would not be adverse to punting him now and putting a quality coach with some experience in there for the rest of this year and see what shakes out. This team is not as bad as their record indicates. Generally this points to the coach, IMO.
Nobody has once suggested hiring a POHO like Linden was. EVERYONE knows he was a face or a figurehead.

Ol Crafty Gomer ahead of the curve.

‘I gotsta to see my name in every thread’

‘I broke that story’

:lol:
15071 posts in under 5 years. And not 10 of them worth the time it takes to read them. Incredible.
Curmudgeon
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:23 am

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Curmudgeon »

Meds wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:21 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm Season is over, might as well ride it out now and let Green scorch the earth playing Sutter as 3rd line center and Virtanen in the top 6 and take the lottery pick. The only trades I'd consider are for picks but Pearson is the only marketable pending UFA they have and Virtanen might return something with salary retention of a million or so. Would be hilarious and the ultimate Benning move to deal a 2nd rounder to the Wings for Stecher though.

In the offseason they need to add a POHO and new GM and coaching staff less Clark. They can start the POHO search immediately. Then I'd be willing to listen on every single player they have.
If they add a legit POHO then the GM doesn't necessarily need to be replaced.

Agreed on the coaching staff. Although with the group of soft souls we have in the locker room they'd probably be pouting an pining for Travis all season.
A legit POHO doesn't retain Benning but either way, he needs to go. I thought he might outrun his earlier mistakes, and tried to give him the benefit of the doubt given the ownership and Linden factors, but nope.

Softest team in the league on and off the ice apparently. The odd comment by Green and the players about everybody not being on the same page along with Bieksa's observation of them being a fun team to play against and Friedman, I believe, mentioning the Leaves figuring they could get by just playing one period against them as the Oilers showed the other night probably means the room needs an overhaul even after a coaching and GM change. We'll see but at least in the Sedin heyday they had guys like Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, and even Luongo to help right the ship and drag them back into the fight. Who's filling those roles in support of Horvat? F'ing snowflakes.
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 15878
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Micky »

Meds wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am
15071 posts in under 5 years. And not 10 of them worth the time it takes to read them. Incredible.
LOL, coming from the guy who makes half page elongated posts where he changes the topic or what's worse, his opinion three times each. :lol:
Not always Meds.
"evolution"
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22248
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Vin Tanner »

Meds wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am

15071 posts in under 5 years. And not 10 of them worth the time it takes to read them. Incredible.
:lol:

In the last game thread he’s posting clips that happened last season like they somehow have something to do with this season. He broke that story. :lol:
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8788
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Meds »

Micky wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:48 am
Meds wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am
15071 posts in under 5 years. And not 10 of them worth the time it takes to read them. Incredible.
LOL, coming from the guy who makes half page elongated posts where he changes the topic or what's worse, his opinion three times each. :lol:
Not always Meds.
At least they have a topic.
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14877
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Whadya mean...didnt you grasp the green car reference?

Fuck i thought it was about top gunt or something
If you need air...call it in
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:58 am ...Friedman, I believe, mentioning the Leaves figuring they could get by just playing one period against them...
That's what i thought I saw.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:32 pm Some may think the better effort from the Canucks in the first two periods represents an improvement, but I suspect the Leaves were doing a modern riff on the 80s Oilers tonight. If that's true, it's actually far, far worse.
Curmudgeon
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:23 am

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Curmudgeon »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:28 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:58 am ...Friedman, I believe, mentioning the Leaves figuring they could get by just playing one period against them...
That's what i thought I saw.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:32 pm Some may think the better effort from the Canucks in the first two periods represents an improvement, but I suspect the Leaves were doing a modern riff on the 80s Oilers tonight. If that's true, it's actually far, far worse.
And if that's the reputation they're gaining around the league there's way more to be done than just gassing the GM and coaching staff. I'm sure players on other teams take notice when one of the few guys who cares and will scrap for his teammates, and hasn't looked nearly as bad as many other players, gets scratched on a regular basis. Fun team to play against as Bieksa says.
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4745
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:48 am
Meds wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am
15071 posts in under 5 years. And not 10 of them worth the time it takes to read them. Incredible.
LOL, coming from the guy who makes half page elongated posts where he changes the topic or what's worse, his opinion three times each. :lol:
Not always Meds.
Gomer, even you should be smart enough to figure it out.

How many different posters have force fed you their throat yogurt and you still don’t get it?? Stick to you rainbow crayons and licking windows.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14877
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:40 am.

How many different posters have force fed you their throat yogurt and you still don’t get it??
Throat yogurt! Ha!

:lol:

Hes like binnington...running around begging for the beats from everyone
If you need air...call it in
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 15878
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Micky »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:40 am
Gomer, even you should be smart enough to figure it out.

How many different posters have force fed you their throat yogurt and you still don’t get it?? Stick to you rainbow crayons and licking windows.
That's it! Your message has been forwarded.
"evolution"
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4745
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:45 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:40 am
Gomer, even you should be smart enough to figure it out.

How many different posters have force fed you their throat yogurt and you still don’t get it?? Stick to you rainbow crayons and licking windows.
That's it! Your message has been forwarded.
LMAO!!!

forwarded to who?? your 'Funcle' who is still in the closet??

RAINBOW SKITTLES FOR EVERYONE!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Post Reply