Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Benning try righting the ship by making a change behind the bench? If so with who?

Total votes: 0

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Zedlee wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:32 am Yes. Same with Benning (he should have been gone a long time ago).

How Acquilini can stick with Benning this long is just beyond me. "Jim has a plan" supposedly. What a friggin mess...
A handful of bounces their way over these 9 games and theyre rocking a 6-3 record and nobody is criticizing anything though.

They are close Z
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:37 am
Zedlee wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:32 am Yes. Same with Benning (he should have been gone a long time ago).

How Acquilini can stick with Benning this long is just beyond me. "Jim has a plan" supposedly. What a friggin mess...
A handful of bounces their way over these 9 games and theyre rocking a 6-3 record and nobody is criticizing anything though.

They are close Z
We don’t want to be a team that needs bounces to win. The Habs did that all the way to the finals last year…..now the bounces are gone and look where they are.

Oh yeah and they had great goaltending too.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

They are close Z
And a handful of bounces the other way and they are 0 - 9. They are close Lizzy.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

They are close Z
Maybe. The forwards have had terrible luck...I would expect that has to change eventually.
But they are pretty bad 5 on 5 and are giving up too many shots.
It's just so tiring being a Canucks fan...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Zedlee wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:45 am

They are close Z
Maybe. The forwards have had terrible luck...I would expect that has to change eventually.
But they are pretty bad 5 on 5 and are giving up too many shots.
It's just so tiring being a Canucks fan...
I think the road trip was more or less a successful showing. Not perfect but they got some tough wins in with the one stinker in Buffalo.

The 3 home games have all been close with the Minny game being their worst showing of the 3. You can maybe give them a Mulligan due to first game back but it was a poor showing.

The Philly and Edmonton games they played sound hockey and had terrible luck. Poor starts continue to plague but they aren't getting run out of dodge by any stretch.

We all expect more, we all need more but they have taken strides. I listened to the post game show out of Edmonton and the consensus is they snuck out Van with an undeserved win. every interview I heard had them complimentary towards Vans game and how they are a damn good team. It was more than just bullshit too. The boys did a helluva job on maybe the best team in the league and are unfortunate they couldn't get one earlier.

No the nux aren't the best team yet but they're digging deep here and pushing play. I'm not ready to give up on them
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I want what he’s smoking………....or do I? It might be crystal in a tiny ballon. :shock:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:46 am I want what he’s smoking………....or do I? It might be crystal in a tiny ballon. :shock:
Stick to the heritage strains Doyle. All the fiddling only fucks shit up...just like Travis Green
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:35 pm These teams since 2013/14 are onto their 3rd head coach+, Benning should be able to get another coach.
It isn't the team, it is how many coaches is a GM allowed to chose?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

I'm prepared to give Benning a bit of Mulligan. He inherited a mess with no trade contracts, and unfortunately contracts for the Sedins that ran well past their best before dates, with no draft picks ready to step in save for Horvat. Linden was stuck on past glory and insisted that the Sedins were owed another shot at the cup and was definitely pulling in a different direction than Benning. As I recall one day Benning would say one thing e.g. we are exploring the possibility of moving some of our veteran players and the next Linden would announce the team was not going to ask any players with NTC's to waive, which was pretty much all the veteran players. Said changes did not occur with any regularity until after Linden's departure. Add to that Kesler's public announcement that he would only waive his NTC for Anaheim and what you have is 3 to 4 lost years.

Where I do have problems is the apparent disconnect between Benning and Green. Benning has stated that the goal is to get bigger and faster, and while the Canucks have certainly gotten faster, they are still not particularly physical, and that doesn't fit with playoff hockey. I don't understand Green stating that it takes a lot for a forward to stand in front of the net, and yet he cuts two young players who were willing to do just that in MacEwan and Gadjovich. Somehow I can't see them losing a player like Chiasson on waivers, who is present at camp by virtue of a PTO which is in itself a fairly good indication that he probably won't get claimed if waived, and even if he is at least one or both of the former remain. While I understand not interfering with a coaches lineup decisions surely some discussion is necessary when those decisions seem to contradict what management has stated as their perceived direction for the team ie bigger and faster.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I watched part of a Kraken game and asked myself why we are not any better at this point. Give her ten more games and if the clusterfuck continues, make the change.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Arbour wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:47 pm I'm prepared to give Benning a bit of Mulligan. He inherited a mess with no trade contracts, and unfortunately contracts for the Sedins that ran well past their best before dates, with no draft picks ready to step in save for Horvat. Linden was stuck on past glory and insisted that the Sedins were owed another shot at the cup and was definitely pulling in a different direction than Benning. As I recall one day Benning would say one thing e.g. we are exploring the possibility of moving some of our veteran players and the next Linden would announce the team was not going to ask any players with NTC's to waive, which was pretty much all the veteran players. Said changes did not occur with any regularity until after Linden's departure. Add to that Kesler's public announcement that he would only waive his NTC for Anaheim and what you have is 3 to 4 lost years.

Where I do have problems is the apparent disconnect between Benning and Green. Benning has stated that the goal is to get bigger and faster, and while the Canucks have certainly gotten faster, they are still not particularly physical, and that doesn't fit with playoff hockey. I don't understand Green stating that it takes a lot for a forward to stand in front of the net, and yet he cuts two young players who were willing to do just that in MacEwan and Gadjovich. Somehow I can't see them losing a player like Chiasson on waivers, who is present at camp by virtue of a PTO which is in itself a fairly good indication that he probably won't get claimed if waived, and even if he is at least one or both of the former remain. While I understand not interfering with a coaches lineup decisions surely some discussion is necessary when those decisions seem to contradict what management has stated as their perceived direction for the team ie bigger and faster.
For the most part I agree with this, but I'm a bit confused by the bold text. Benning is the one who built the roster, it's not Green who has gone and scooped up this many small players.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

The point I was trying to make Mëds, albeit somewhat unclearly, is that there were two young players in the system that seemed to fit the stated objectives, yet both were cut. I do suspect that the issue in Gadjovich's case was skating, however from the reports he had worked on that and was continuing to improve and apparently was a competent net front present in Utica. MacEwan, while not possessing blazing speed, could hold hold his own on a fourth line, and in both cases they have the potential to improve, and more importantly were quite prepared to stick up for smaller teammates. Their presence allows for smaller faster forwards in other positions, balance for want of a better word.

Is Chiasson a bad player? No, but at this stage of his career what you see is what you get. I may be reading too much into it but with Chiasson I think Green deferrred to a veteran player, most likely because he offered short term stability, and was less likely to make the mistakes the other two would, reflecting the implicit pressure to win now, rather than gamble with unknown potential which may or may not realize itself in MacEwan and Gadjovich. A sure base hit rather than a double or triple or more importantly a potential strike out.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

We won! The ship has been righted!

Let's sign Green to an extension and Benning too!

Not. ;) ;)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Arbour wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:01 am The point I was trying to make Mëds, albeit somewhat unclearly, is that there were two young players in the system that seemed to fit the stated objectives, yet both were cut. I do suspect that the issue in Gadjovich's case was skating, however from the reports he had worked on that and was continuing to improve and apparently was a competent net front present in Utica. MacEwan, while not possessing blazing speed, could hold hold his own on a fourth line, and in both cases they have the potential to improve, and more importantly were quite prepared to stick up for smaller teammates. Their presence allows for smaller faster forwards in other positions, balance for want of a better word.

Is Chiasson a bad player? No, but at this stage of his career what you see is what you get. I may be reading too much into it but with Chiasson I think Green deferrred to a veteran player, most likely because he offered short term stability, and was less likely to make the mistakes the other two would, reflecting the implicit pressure to win now, rather than gamble with unknown potential which may or may not realize itself in MacEwan and Gadjovich. A sure base hit rather than a double or triple or more importantly a potential strike out.
Ahhh. :thumbs:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Greener. How’ya liking your Chiasser? Is he all Schallsy and Beags?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau