Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Benning try righting the ship by making a change behind the bench? If so with who?

Yes - Gerard Gallant
41%
Yes - Mike Babcock
5%
Yes - Bruce Boudreau
14%
Yes - Adam Oates
5%
Yes - Randy Carlyle
No votes
No
36%

Total votes: 44

Meds
MVP
MVP

Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Meds »

Bored at work. Figured I'd poll it up. :P

I'm on the fence but starting lean towards replacing Green with someone a bit more old school who will insist a bit more on system buy-in.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Yay. GG for the turnaround please.

Wasting the last year of EP and QH entry level contracts is a huge fail
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I’m going to say nay if these are the best choices to replace Green.
But Green is in charge of the lineup, and the buck stops with him.
No way Hamonic earned a spot over Chatfield or Juolevi, yet he was gifted a spot and it cost games.
Green keeps deferring to veterans too much.
Is Roussel so much better than MacEwen or Bailey that they don’t deserve a chance in his spot on some nights.
Sutter or Beagle should be playing, not both. But Green won’t sit a veteran no matter how redundant.
None of those replacement coaching choices are very inspiring.
Wait for the off-season to hopefully get someone better.
Ultimately the team won’t be competitive until Petey removes has head from his ass and Hughes stops falling down.
If those two play like they did in the playoffs, the team will be much further ahead.
Not sure any of those possible new coaches fixes that.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LOL Hamonic ALONE has cost the team games. And how did he play above those noted thoroughbreds Olaf and Jalen? Jesus Christ man. We need a machete to cut through that hyperbole. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:07 am Yay. GG for the turnaround please.

Wasting the last year of EP and QH entry level contracts is a huge fail

Almost 20 million in dead cap space is doing a lot to waste the last year of entry level deals. I give Ferland a pass due to injuries but the five guys pulling down those numbers are borderline NHL players.

But sure Greener isn’t doing a bang up job. But he might do better if his boss could manage the cap.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hambone was finally moving properly and looking like himself then boom. Injured. What is it anyway? Hamstring? Groin? From playing too much too quick. I question his off season preparation

Green or bumgarter need to be accountable for throwing him out there for 20+ a night while looking like that. He needed to play half of those minutes to get up to speed. Not only that his failings helped their golden boy look worse because of it and possible had a hand in his decayed confidence

This coaching staff continues to make weird personnel decisions that cost the team
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:32 am I’m going to say nay if these are the best choices to replace Green.

Wait for the off-season to hopefully get someone better.
Honestly I don't think you'll find better in the offseason in terms of coaches if that's what you mean. This team doesn't need another promotion behind the bench, they need an experienced hand. We've had a pair of first time NHL head coaches now back-to-back. Now we're getting a team that has the talent to do something (finally) but too many of these pieces need guidance that clearly Green can't give. He's too close to some of these Vets. You need a guy who no longer has that tie to his previous career as a player and will do what needs to be done.
But Green is in charge of the lineup, and the buck stops with him.
No way Hamonic earned a spot over Chatfield or Juolevi, yet he was gifted a spot and it cost games.
Green keeps deferring to veterans too much.
I agree that he keeps deferring to vets, however nothing that Chatfield or Rafferty have shown earned them a spot over Hamonic, therefore you go with the proven vet until they are upstaged. And, nothing that Hamonic did cost us games on its own.....he was certainly never worse than what we saw last night.
Is Roussel so much better than MacEwen or Bailey that they don’t deserve a chance in his spot on some nights.
Sutter or Beagle should be playing, not both. But Green won’t sit a veteran no matter how redundant.
None of those replacement coaching choices are very inspiring.
Who gets in at center over Sutter or Beagle? We're pretty thin at that spot. Gaudette isn't ready for PK duty.

But regardless, you've just questioned Green's competency at making lineup decisions with vets, and you follow it up with.....
Ultimately the team won’t be competitive until Petey removes has head from his ass and Hughes stops falling down.
If those two play like they did in the playoffs, the team will be much further ahead.
Not sure any of those possible new coaches fixes that.
So now the two young stars aren't playing well, but they aren't being benched either. Moreover you are crediting those players (both of whom have arrived in the last couple years) with the team being competitive. It's only in the last couple of seasons that the team has started to look improved.

Green isn't making the team better. So why not try things with someone who might. It's a 56 game season (50 now). I'd happily turn the reigns over to the coach who took an expansion team and made them a division winner and Stanley Cup finalist in the first year. Give him 50 games. If there's obvious effect you bring him back. If not, then try that "someone better" you're talking about.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

See if Ken Hitchcock could whip em into shape. I doubt he’s interested but it might be worth a phone call. I voted no. Give Green a half dozen more games. Sure glad he wasn’t extended though.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:43 am
This coaching staff continues to make weird personnel decisions that cost the team
Scouting the teams they're playing is not a strong point either. Not enough emphasis on it. It needs to be top notch for this kind of multi-game, same team thing that is happening this year.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 am See if Ken Hitchcock could whip em into shape. I doubt he’s interested but it might be worth a phone call. I voted no. Give Green a half dozen more games. Sure glad he wasn’t extended though.
Now we’re talking. Hitch would be great short term, but I think he’s done. :thumbs:

What they really need is a Tortorella. :mrgreen:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Holy crap. First, everyone wants to play various rookies and hates on green for not playing them. Then, after injuries hit and we play them all, then we have to fire him?

Y’all need to take a big hit off the bong and relax. We win 4 of 5 and everything is right in the world. Lose 4 of 5 and the sky is falling.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Just because I’m trashing Green doesn’t mean I want him fired.
I voted “no.”
I’m just pointing out some reason he might get fired.
But ultimately I’m only happy if he wins.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:17 am Just because I’m trashing Green doesn’t mean I want him fired.
I voted “no.”
I’m just pointing out some reason he might get fired.
But ultimately I’m only happy if he wins.
On this I think everyone can agree.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:03 am Holy crap. First, everyone wants to play various rookies and hates on green for not playing them. Then, after injuries hit and we play them all, then we have to fire him?

Y’all need to take a big hit off the bong and relax. We win 4 of 5 and everything is right in the world. Lose 4 of 5 and the sky is falling.
What about when we lose 5 of 6?

Like I said, I'm on the fence. I would really like to see what Gallant could do after his stint in Vegas.

I think if we lose 3 of the next 4 games it's time to upset the apple cart.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

take your lithium folks
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.