Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Benning try righting the ship by making a change behind the bench? If so with who?

Total votes: 0

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Early Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by SKYO »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:06 pm If Benning sticks around and makes a coaching change of his choice, I think it will be Claude Julien because of their success when they were both in Boston in 2011.
Yup, Green is entering his 5th NHL season as the Canucks coach, and only has 1 playoff to show for it.

Team is stagnant, not clicking, I think it's time for a change, hell Florida has it's 5th coach now since 2014, Canucks still on their 2nd.

A lot of prominent teams have changed it up coaching wise since 2014 on their 3rd or 4th nhl coach.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Who's available?

Not Torts anymore :wink:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:53 pm Who's available?

Coach Q to the res-Q!
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:58 am
This team just has so much potential.
I’m not sure about that. I haven’t seen a sixty minute effort at all in the first nine games. Small, timid, slow and not competing for pucks. Someone built this team and someone is coaching it. And they both have done a poor job until the standings say different. Elmer has got to receive …….some blame? I am no Green fan but the way the team has been built isn’t his doing.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

He's not?
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Pittsburg loses all their best players and keeps winning. Hire one of their assistant coaches, or an assistant from Tampa. Just find someone that knows a system that works in the NHL. Whatever the Canucks are doing ain’t.

I think this thread title is a bit dated. I’d say it’s a late coaching change at this point.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Sorry, rumours are Torts is in the running to replace Quenville in Florida. One of the top candidates.

Obviously I'm joking. Doubt if Frankie wants to go down that route again.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:04 pm

Coach Q to the res-Q!
:lol: :lol:
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:04 pm
I’m not sure about that. I haven’t seen a sixty minute effort at all in the first nine games. Small, timid, slow and not competing for pucks. Someone built this team and someone is coaching it. And they both have done a poor job until the standings say different. Elmer has got to receive …….some blame? I am no Green fan but the way the team has been built isn’t his doing.
Yeah JB isn't untouchable, just granted it's a pretty young team (the core nucleus anyways), I just don't enjoy Green's "systems" or Baumers for that matter as he's supposed to be the defense coach, plus they seem to have trouble adapting to each team, changing it up to match the other teams strengths and weaknesses, to which Scotty Bowman was a master at, he'd switch up his systems for each team to win it, and ultimately win series, Cups. Bowman was also the wizard at pushing buttons for each player to get the most out of em.
Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:08 pm Pittsburg loses all their best players and keeps winning. Hire one of their assistant coaches, or an assistant from Tampa. Just find someone that knows a system that works in the NHL. Whatever the Canucks are doing ain’t.

I think this thread title is a bit dated. I’d say it’s a late coaching change at this point.
Todd Reirden, he was a long time assistant coach for the Pens, let go, where he then became an assistant coach for the Caps under Trotz, he left and then became the Caps head coach for a coupla years having a superb regular season record but two 1st round exits he was let go and then he rejoined the Pens.

He's coached some superstars over the years in Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, he probably could guide Petey & em to some stellar seasons.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Well Mr Aquilini has gone with cheap coaches since the failed Tortorella experiment (which was his idea) so you would have to assume a pretty tight coaching budget when considering candidates. Trent Cull, Brad Shaw or Nolan Baumgartner seem like reasonable bets to land the job considering past experience as Mr Aquilini likes to hire from within.

Perhaps Jimmy could be leaned on to bring in a junior coach from the WHL?
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:03 pm Well Mr Aquilini has gone with cheap coaches since the failed Tortorella experiment (which was his idea) so you would have to assume a pretty tight coaching budget when considering candidates. Trent Cull, Brad Shaw or Nolan Baumgartner seem like reasonable bets to land the job considering past experience as Mr Aquilini likes to hire from within.

Perhaps Jimmy could be leaned on to bring in a junior coach from the WHL?
It's time he loosen the purse strings & bring in a Vet coach, 7 years of rookie coaches at the helm hasn't been good for this franchise.

Canucks best seasons have been with experienced coaches in Pat Quinn (years of head coaching experience before joining VAN) and Alain Vigneault (6 years coach in junior, 3.5 years assistant coach with the Sens & 3 years + a bit with the Habs as head coach before joining the Canucks)
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Since branching out into the hockey department Mr Aquilini has gained a lot of confidence, and experience since taking over the roles of Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning and Trevor Linden himself and saved some money in the process.

It would not come as a shock to me if he didn't decide he was ready to go behind the bench and take over the coaching reigns from Travis Green himself. With the support of Brad Shaw, Jason King and Nolan Baumgartner he may feel he's ready for that next hockey challenge now. Would not only save some real money, it would be a heck of a human interest story, This would draw attention to the team and the league from all over the place.
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:46 pm Since branching out into the hockey department Mr Aquilini has gained a lot of confidence, and experience since taking over the roles of Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning and Trevor Linden himself and saved some money in the process.

It would not come as a shock to me if he didn't decide he was ready to go behind the bench and take over the coaching reigns from Travis Green himself. With the support of Brad Shaw, Jason King and Nolan Baumgartner he may feel he's ready for that next hockey challenge now. Would not only save some real money, it would be a heck of a human interest story, This would draw attention to the team and the league from all over the place.
Own it, coach it? Might be a wee bit too much of a distraction. Team discipline would be fascinating. Bet he'd be a pacer. One that constantly walks from one end of the bench to the other, always remembering to look around behind him to see his adoring fans cheering him on when the team is playing at home. Of course on the road, he'd always sniff out the very best eateries for the team to be sure, and if there were none, he'd have one built for the next time. Might be something to this idea. :bounce: :drink:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Micky wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:54 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:46 pm Since branching out into the hockey department Mr Aquilini has gained a lot of confidence, and experience since taking over the roles of Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning and Trevor Linden himself and saved some money in the process.

Own it, coach it? Might be a wee bit too much of a distraction. Team discipline would be fascinating. Bet he'd be a pacer. One that constantly walks from one end of the bench to the other, always remembering to look around behind him to see his adoring fans cheering him on when the team is playing at home. Of course on the road, he'd always sniff out the very best eateries for the team to be sure, and if there were none, he'd have one built for the next time. Might be something to this idea. :bounce: :drink:
:lol: one of your better posts mickster.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

The players’ belief in and commitment to the new priorities instilled by coach Travis Green are being tested.
The above is a quote from Sportsnet. What NEW priorities are they talking about. Last season the team was constantly being outshot and out played and it is happening again this season. They went on to say the team was to reduce high scoring chance but I haven’t seen that as well.

I see the same thing for the past 2 years and nothing much has changed except the names on the back of the jerseys. Sure there has been a month here and there but overall it’s the same in game model that hasn’t worked.

It is time to change the name behind the bench. Waiting 5-10 more games will just make it harder for the new coach.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:04 pm
The choice of players has a lot to do with what Green wants

I have no doubt this is a good team under a good coach. The team looks lost, that’s coaching. Good coaches like Trotz knows how to get more from what he has, Green doesn’t.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau