Canucks Training Camp 2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Training Camp 2021

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 am
BCExpat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:17 pm
Topper wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:57 pm
BCExpat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:48 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pm
BingoTough wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:06 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 am Eriksson right off the bat to waivers! wow - frees up a million when he's in Utica and a roster spot....or is it just to the taxi squad?
Given recent events, there's a chance Calgary might pick him up.
Shit they might grab all 6
Not a chance the flames pick Eriksson or anyone else at this point.
unfortunate, he and Lucic could be 2/3rds of wonderful 4th line
Lucic has played well for the Flames, even though he is vastly overpaid. I guess that's what happens when you have to get rid of Neal, who is absolutely useless.
How’s Milan’s skating these days. Is the sheet of ice he skates starting to pull away from him yet?
Milan is still a factor whistle to whistle...from when a whistle stops play until the whistle starts the next one
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Lol Benn is not 10 on the depth chart. He’s 7 at worst depending on how Juolevi and Hamonic perform.

As an asside the taxi squad is going to be busy one would think in this compressed schedule. I’d imagine they will keep one goalie, 2D ,a centre and a couple other wingers. Sadly I can see Eriksson getting one of the wing spots. Travis seems to love the guy.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I've read of a move to try and loan players to Canadian based AHL squads but I imagine all Canadian squads with US based farms are doing likewise.

Oh for the days of Freddie Beach.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

The only asset that I am concerned with is Rathbone. I think the kid has legit NHL potential written all over him. In fact, i would think hes already on par with OJ right now and only getting better.

Languishing on the taxi squad once the AHL kicks off makes little sense though unless there are enough injuries to grant him some playing time with the big club. He needs to play big minutes.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:12 am
Cornuck wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:02 am How is that going to work for goalies then? Will there still be an emergency goalie on hand? Will a 3rd goalie be 'on call'? Will we be seeing more local university goalies pressed into action?
They can keep as many goalies on top of the taxi squad as they want. Right now they have DiPietro and Keilly. Unless they can make a waiver claim or trade for a journeyman, I guess their plan is to use these young prospects for depth?
The rules for this year are ( It is mandatory to keep no less than three goalies on hand between the regulars and the taxi squad ).
"evolution"
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Topper wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:49 am I've read of a move to try and loan players to Canadian based AHL squads but I imagine all Canadian squads with US based farms are doing likewise.

Oh for the days of Freddie Beach.
I thought I read somewhere Vancouver is considering doing this with Di Pietro. Then keep Kielly as the third goalie

Edit- I meant Keilly as the taxi squad guy and Dipietro to a Canadian AHL team.
Last edited by Doyle Hargraves on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:53 am The only asset that I am concerned with is Rathbone. I think the kid has legit NHL potential written all over him. In fact, i would think hes already on par with OJ right now and only getting better.

Languishing on the taxi squad once the AHL kicks off makes little sense though unless there are enough injuries to grant him some playing time with the big club. He needs to play big minutes.
I hope to hell he does stay with the Canucks. There will be injuries and he will get NHL time. Possibly even on a decision by Green because someone else is not playing well or he thinks a change would help, depending on the particular part / parts of the schedule.
IMO; He'll learn more and develop better if he stays here.
It's probable, even likey, Hamonic, is only here for this year. Jack Rathbone can learn from a guy like that too. He can learn from them all.
He's Had a long stretch off and he's already looking good. To be honest, I think Utica is ...................and not the best plan.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I wouldn't be surprised if there is more hockey played by the taxi squad than Utica.

Has there been any word on play by Cali based teams?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:42 pm
Micky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:22 am
BladesofSteel wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 am These 6 appear to be the taxi squad
Based on what? Even if some of those guys are on the taxi squad, they are lacking a goalie.
Michael DiPietro will be the 3rd Goalie. It said in the beginning teams are required to carry three.
So Mikey's not going to play this year?

That right there is genius goaltender development on the part of Jimbo. Pure genius.
Not sure I follow your logic, Meg. Mikey should get in a handful of games this season as the 3rd stringer, assuming he stays up the whole time. Plus, he will likely dress for a fair number of games when they are truly resting either Holtby or Demko. With the compresses schedule, I can see Green resting either guy if they have even a minor twinge. Throw in an extra 2 weeks of practice that he will get with the big boys (since Utica's camp is at least 2 weeks away), and the mentoring of our NHL goalie coach, and I think that this can be a good opportunity to work on Mikeys game. Given what the 2021 season is looking like, I don't think there is really a clear good/bad choice for Mikey. He should get more playing time in Utica, but he will get better coaching and practices in Vancouver, an his playing time will also be of a higher quality.

I could easily see a combination of the 2. If the vaccine rolls out quickly, we might have quarantine times either reduced, or eliminated, and maybe Mikey goes to Utica at the end of February or March.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

All the Canucks that were on waivers have cleared.

I know, I am shocked no one took Loui too.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Goalies may even benefit more from elite coaching like the canucks currently have in Ian Clark than playing full time in the minors under substandard coaching. It seems all the recent goaltending greats give their coaches more than their fair share of credit than I wouldve thought worthy.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Eriksson, Baertschi, Brisebois, Graovac, Sautner and Bailey have cleared waivers.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 am Lol Benn is not 10 on the depth chart. He’s 7 at worst depending on how Juolevi and Hamonic perform.
Benn is gone as a UFA at the end of the year. If Rathbone is available he definitely plays ahead of Benn on the left side. It’s a toss up between Benn, Chatfield and Rafferty on the right side. But considering Green prefers to play right-handed players on the right side, and he’ll want to assess those two this season to see if they replace upcoming UFAs, I imagine they’d both get games ahead of Benn. Benn is a number seven depth guy who probably only sees games if injuries pile up, but the prospects stand a good chance of playing ahead of him.
We are all Jim Benning.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

So I've seen a couple guys covering camp mention Boeser's been the best player and has even picked up a step in his skating. The 6-40-9 line is shaping up to be one of the best in the NHL and if Hoglander can make it happen with Horvat as the season starts, that provides a lot of cover for the first line in addition to now having Schmidt as an attacking option on defense to go with Hughes.

NHL.com has them at #11 in their Power Rankings and if they can tighten up defensively in the bottom six forward group, I think they can move up from that. Weren't some "fans" still calling for a tank a couple years ago and perhaps even last off season? Like the same ones who thought Pettersson should marinate in the AHL to start. lol.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:39 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 am Lol Benn is not 10 on the depth chart. He’s 7 at worst depending on how Juolevi and Hamonic perform.
Benn is gone as a UFA at the end of the year. If Rathbone is available he definitely plays ahead of Benn on the left side. It’s a toss up between Benn, Chatfield and Rafferty on the right side. But considering Green prefers to play right-handed players on the right side, and he’ll want to assess those two this season to see if they replace upcoming UFAs, I imagine they’d both get games ahead of Benn. Benn is a number seven depth guy who probably only sees games if injuries pile up, but the prospects stand a good chance of playing ahead of him.
I don't know about that. Benn will be #7 because he plays both sides and kill penalties. He's a better player than he showed last year.