Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:17 pm Trade Humperdink straight up for Joel Eriksson Ek, I like the player and the contract.
I love Ek but I don’t think Minny is doing that not even for the local hero. They tried that once with Parise and Suter. Did sweet fuck all. The local thing is very overrated
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Any playoff team looking for that last big piece and willing to give up two first rounders and a decent centre or defensive prospect for Miller, Boeser or Horvat should have their offer accepted. Trade all three and get six extra first rounders over the next couple years. Go forward with Petey, Hughes, Demko, Garland, Pod and Hog as your core. Miller is at his peak value right now and will be asking for too much on his next deal as he ages into his thirties. Boeser and Horvat are very good, but not great players. Move them if the offer is there. These trades will move the new core back in age a couple years, but it will create a full, proper rebuild instead of a half-ass one that obviously hasn’t worked with this season’s current core. Unlike last year, these next two drafts look strong and deep. With the way the season is going, it’s time to collect more picks.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:25 am Any playoff team looking for that last big piece and willing to give up two first rounders and a decent centre or defensive prospect for Miller, Boeser or Horvat should have their offer accepted. Trade all three and get six extra first rounders over the next couple years. Go forward with Petey, Hughes, Demko, Garland, Pod and Hog as your core. Miller is at his peak value right now and will be asking for too much on his next deal as he ages into his thirties. Boeser and Horvat are very good, but not great players. Move them if the offer is there. These trades will move the new core back in age a couple years, but it will create a full, proper rebuild instead of a half-ass one that obviously hasn’t worked with this season’s current core. Unlike last year, these next two drafts look strong and deep. With the way the season is going, it’s time to collect more picks.
Exactly - the Canucks GM has to look long term, assuming EP and QH are the real deal and Hog/Pod and to some extent Woo are there in the future you do not saddle the team with a JT Miller 5 - 7 year contract $7M - $8M per season. It will look great in the first 2 - 3 years then complete shit the final half of his contract and we will be saying too long and too much (all except Doc of course 8-) )
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Trading core pieces like Miller, Horvat and Boeser at the point the team is at now is a knee jerk response to a shitty season so far. Much rather see what a real pro level "NHL" coach could do with this squad. We haven't seen one yet.
We hope Podkolzin will be a fantastic player. Don't particularly want TG in charge of that process. The sulky moods, half hearted efforts, bad decisions all culminated together, point directly at the coaching. In other words; Why the f**k start blowing up the team before it has the chance to show what it can do with the right bench boss. Eight freakin years of cheapy AHL level, (at best), coaching. I can see why cantankerous moods set in on the team.
We actually have no clue how good this current team can be. Obvious Miller has what it takes to take it to the next level. I doubt at this point Benning has the autonomy to get "a real" coach in there.
"evolution"
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Change the coaching staff first, and then make it very clear that there is going to be a three game tryout to find out who's genuinely earning their salary as a player, before any player moves are made.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:25 am Any playoff team looking for that last big piece and willing to give up two first rounders and a decent centre or defensive prospect for Miller, Boeser or Horvat should have their offer accepted. Trade all three and get six extra first rounders over the next couple years. Go forward with Petey, Hughes, Demko, Garland, Pod and Hog as your core. Miller is at his peak value right now and will be asking for too much on his next deal as he ages into his thirties. Boeser and Horvat are very good, but not great players. Move them if the offer is there. These trades will move the new core back in age a couple years, but it will create a full, proper rebuild instead of a half-ass one that obviously hasn’t worked with this season’s current core. Unlike last year, these next two drafts look strong and deep. With the way the season is going, it’s time to collect more picks.
This! Yes, a gutsy plan and something I'd love to see. But first, hire a President of Hockey Op and a new GM, with a long term vision instead of "just get into the playoffs and anything can happen" mentality. That has gotten us nowhere.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Arbour wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:49 am Change the coaching staff first, and then make it very clear that there is going to be a three game tryout to find out who's genuinely earning their salary as a player, before any player moves are made.
It’s been mentioned by a few in the media that a Elmer does not have full autonomy to make a deal at this time involving a core player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

So you never want to win a faceoff ever again? aha

Miller and Horvat are the only ones that can win a faceoff around these parts, they'll re-sign Horvat long-term, seems like a no brainer, we've heard rumblings on them moving on from Boeser (looking at possibilities), he's the most likely to get dealt probably in the offseason.

Petey is better as a RW imho, and where he'll play on Team Sweden as well, it's where he's best.

With Petey, Garland and Podz on RW, they can afford to trade Boeser.

Our top needs at this point is a bonafide #3C, ideally a right hand shot Anthony Cirelli type.

And a solid top 4 RD to bump down Poolman to the 3rd pairing.

Long term keep Petey, Garland, Miller, Horvat, Hogz, Podz up front.

As DL said, unless a team throws a shitload of assets for Miller, I'd try to re-sign him long term and as Blob said - see what his fuckin' demands are contract wise moving forward. I'm guessing JT Miller would sign 6 years at $7M AAV, in line with comp's in Evander Kane, Gabe Landeskog, M. Tkachuk, Max Pac and Anders Lee.

Horvat similar but likely gets a 7 year deal.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:10 am It’s been mentioned by a few in the media that a Elmer does not have full autonomy to make a deal at this time involving a core player.
True or not, it might be better that way.

We need to change up the coaches, then re-examine what we have - THEN move a piece or two if needed.

If it were one top player not performing, then you could blame it on the individual. When you only have a few of them not doing jack shit, and your special teams are crap, and you give up the first goal in (almost) every game, lots of late goals - then maybe... just maybe... you have a coaching problem.

Miller has trade value, but has stepped up his game - with some new voices behind the bench, the 'lotto line' (I hate that name) could become dangerous again.

But.... GangGreen will continue on for a few more weeks, and then we won't care, and then we won't be worried if the team has a fire sale... We can lose all that was built, and all future 2nd rounders.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:45 am
We need to change up the coaches, then re-examine what we have - THEN move a piece or two if needed.
I think we need to change management and coaches, but clearly they are waiting for some magical sign.

Maybe the Olympic break? Maybe end of season? Maybe the next pandemic? :hmmm:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:24 pm
Cornuck wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:22 pm Can we try a coaching change before trading off our top assets?
We've given up on that fantasy and moved on to others...
:lol:

Sad truth!

Really want change somewhere.
The saddest part about this post is that it is representative of many switched on fans. Those of us smart enough to not shit our pants and literally want to blow it up every time they slump are now so fed up with this mess that we are willing to embrace change just for the sake of change.

Even Doc has quit trying to focus on 3 years from now. LOL!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:44 am
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:24 pm
Cornuck wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:22 pm Can we try a coaching change before trading off our top assets?
We've given up on that fantasy and moved on to others...
:lol:

Sad truth!

Really want change somewhere.
The saddest part about this post is that it is representative of many switched on fans. Those of us smart enough to not shit our pants and literally want to blow it up every time they slump are now so fed up with this mess that we are willing to embrace change just for the sake of change.

Even Doc has quit trying to focus on 3 years from now. LOL!
For sure, most understand that you have to give management some time to make changes and then more time to see the fruition of those changes.

We're way past patient at this point.

I'm typically the first to defend many moves simply because we don't know the conditions management has to work with. Player demands, owner demands, cap space issues, intel, etc. But 8 years and this season dealing with this! Buh bye!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It would no doubt be very difficult at this point in the season, though I don't think impossible, to make an attempt to make a trade to get a reliable defense man to play with Quinn Hughes. Travis Hamonic is not that guy. Too many problems. Doubt that's going to change.
To me; This is one move that could change the whole dynamics of the club and this current season. Not easy with no cap space but there are a couple of options. Maybe Boeser, though I'm not sure on what's really going on with him. Pretty sure he's on the "fire Green wagon", hard to come down on him for that!! Possibly a Pearson + a minor leaguer might bring the right piece.

Are Jim's hands tied right now? Dunno.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

You simply cannot go forward with Petey at the expense of both Bo and Miller.

There's just not alot of enthusiasm from Perimetersson.....even when he scores a goal or sets one up it's pretty subdued. There's not much coming out of his game that says he wants to be here, and there is plenty that can be read into saying he would rather be somewhere else.

I can't see Benning trading either of Petey or Brock. He picked them and he won't move them. He also went out and got Miller, so I'd say Bo would be the piece Elmer is most likely to move since he's the last remnant of the Gillis era on the roster.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:10 am
Arbour wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:49 am Change the coaching staff first, and then make it very clear that there is going to be a three game tryout to find out who's genuinely earning their salary as a player, before any player moves are made.
It’s been mentioned by a few in the media that a Elmer does not have full autonomy to make a deal at this time involving a core player.
There is that and if true, probably means this year is a total write off unless something miraculous happens. I'm wondering if the longer this drags on its more of an indication of a total house cleaning from top to bottom as far as management and coaching is concerned.