Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:28 pm Yes, OEL definitely takes a lot of pressure off of the young improving Hughes...
I for one would prefer to keep OEL and see what we have if he plays with a regular partner who isn't throwing him hand grenades when pressured.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think much of the angst about OEL is how will he look in the last couple seasons of the deal pulling down a 7.25 cap hit. That said there’s still a few good D men that are 33-35.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Lidstrom’s best years we’re in his 30’s.

OEL proved to be an upgrade over the departed Edler, and still has more upside as a Canuck. He would leave a gaping hole on the left side if dealt.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

BladesofSteel wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:45 pm Lidstrom’s best years we’re in his 30’s.
Hmmm... yeah, good point. Lidstrom won his first Norris when he was 31, pretty OEL's current age. Lidstrom went on to win 6 more after that. :?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BladesofSteel wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:45 pm Lidstrom’s best years we’re in his 30’s.

OEL proved to be an upgrade over the departed Edler, and still has more upside as a Canuck. He would leave a gaping hole on the left side if dealt.
Many defenseman hit their peak in their 30s. OEL isnt who should be walked...it's his 6 million dollar gangly, puck-lost-in-skates partner
If you need air...call it in
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I am open to dealing Myers, only if it improves the back-end.

Of note, I saw plenty of chemistry between he and OEL, and some of the best stretches of play in his last 3 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

BladesofSteel wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:57 pm I am open to dealing Myers, only if it improves the back-end.

Of note, I saw plenty of chemistry between he and OEL, and some of the best stretches of play in his last 3 years.
Sure but at 6/year? Surely we can get a steady eddy for OEl for half that
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:18 pm
BladesofSteel wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:57 pm I am open to dealing Myers, only if it improves the back-end.

Sure but at 6/year? Surely we can get a steady eddy for OEl for half that
..my take from what Blades means when he says chemistry is this....

OEL and Myers appear a positive, above average 3/4 level for a successful NHL team.

If you trade Myers for a player making, say 4 million instead and OEL's play dips 20% for whatever reason, are we still ahead?

Chemistry lost, overall value diminishment.

Some (Blob for instance) might day, "sure, but if OEL's play slips because Myers is gone then OEL is less than the sum of his parts".

Sure, okay, there's credibility in that statement.

But, if OEL plays another year with Myers and finds his game to an even greater degree perhaps he becomes more than the sum of his parts once again and we reap the benefits for 2 or 3 more years henceforth.

Plus a confident, positive, playing well OEL creates benefits to QH's game, including enhanced development at a more rapid pace than otherwise.

And all for 1 more year of Meyers who, as Strangelove keeps telling us, is eminently more movable the following season.

We are not winning the Cup next year and Myers here or not here for 1 more season won't change that.

Perhaps the year after, however, we begin to see a window for a shot or two at the grail.

By then your chaos giraffe is long gone....
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I have my doubts that OEL needs the CG and his guffawing at pucks to maintain his level of play.

Chemistry Schmemistry!

Any righty with skill who can handle a puck is going to make OEL look a fuckofalot better than Mr gangles...possibly even help him regain his offensive numbers
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...a little asshole is what I like to see beside OEL.

In spite of that, to each his own.

Who knows....you may be right.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

donlever wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:04 pm ...a little asshole is what I like to see beside OEL.

In spite of that, to each his own.

Who knows....you may be right.
This past season was the lowest scoring of OELs career. His 20+ goal seasons ere spent paired with Keith Yandle, a left shot who played the right side.
Yandle was an elite dman as well who can skate and knows how to move pucks.

This is the type of replacement I would look for to pair with OEL
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:24 pm This is the type of replacement I would look for to pair with OEL
You'd like to find Keith Yandle?

Or rather a youngish, developing Keith Yandle so affordability is not an issue as the player in question would be at the 3 million price tag you indicated as desirable?

Tough to find and/or acquire either no?

Look, I'm half talking out my ass here because, facts are, I might not even have seen OEL and Myers play together all year.

Having said that, in reading here (for the most part) and to some degree elsewhere, based on what I have gleaned I don't mind Hughes, Myers, OEL (with the latter penciled in together) as 3 of our top 4 for another year
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:23 pm ... I don't mind Hughes, Myers, OEL (with the latter penciled in together) as 3 of our top 4 for another year
Me too, find a solid partner for Hughes this summer and I'm a happy Strangelove.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:07 am I think much of the angst about OEL is how will he look in the last couple seasons of the deal pulling down a 7.25 cap hit. That said there’s still a few good D men that are 33-35.
Doyle you worry too much about 35 year old hockey players and their contracts.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:27 pm
donlever wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:23 pm ... I don't mind Hughes, Myers, OEL (with the latter penciled in together) as 3 of our top 4 for another year
Me too, find a solid partner for Hughes this summer and I'm a happy Strangelove.
Yeah me too, too much focus on the contracts for OEL and Myers, they are solid D-men. Ruthy needs to focus on moving out contracts held by Pearson, Poolman, Dickinson etc
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau