Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:39 pm Who wants to win...........stays.
Who can argue with this?

“Franks and Beans”

“Franks and Beans”
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Shanaplan, Doyle! Talk to me? Your thoughts? Should they fire Lawrence Gilman? :lol:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:33 pm FIRE them all!
Bring back Benning!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

SKYO wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:39 pm Who wants to win...........stays.
Well sure, but there are guys that want to win but suck balls. Christ I want to win but doubt it would help the cause much putting me on the ice!

Really it’s “who can help us win ……. stays”

If moving someone is better strategy for the long term success of the team it really matters little if they want to win it matters more what we need to do to win!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Team paying $6m for Myers, almost $7.5M for Boeser....
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:00 am Team paying $6m for Myers, almost $7.5M for Boeser....
What are you on about?

Myers was signed by the previous GM and he may or may not be here in the next year or two.

Boeser is out of contract and it was 5.85 million per year. Get some sleep dude, you aren’t making much sense.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Who cares whom was signed, moving Myers and Boeser will help the cap space.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:57 am Who cares whom was signed, moving Myers and Boeser will help the cap space.
Dependant on what comes back.

Boeser at 5 I keep, Myers I purge
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:57 am Who cares whom was signed, moving Myers and Boeser will help the cap space.
And the they have to sign someone who has the potential to score 25-30 goals and play 2nd pairing D. They don’t come cheap.

The reason you keep JT is that he is the missing piece for a long SC run. Canucks IMP have several small but important missing pieces.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:27 pm So Miller won’t age?

Ok gotcha.
Not saying that. If I recall correctly we had a discussion about price and term before around $8.5 mil. for 5 yrs. which is more than generous, and allows for development through the draft of replacement players. Every team in the playoffs has most of their, for want of a better word, elite older players under contract until their mid thirties, complete with NMC/NTC's.

Colorado is about to have to spend to keep MacKinnon as of the end of next season and no doubt will try to lock him up long term. Tampa already has numerous players which fall into the a fore mentioned category. It's a side effect of the cap and UFA status.

The delicate balancing act comes when measuring relative value of the player to the team v. opportunity cost of a trade. As I said before there are other players who should go long before Miller, unless his demands make the latter a better alternative.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:31 am

I'd even keep Boeser at $6M.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:42 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:31 am

I'd even keep Boeser at $6M.
Possibly if it was 5 years or longer but he isn't providing enough return on the ice to demand any more than that. He skates like me ffs
If you need air...call it in
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

ESQ wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:12 pm
Arbour wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:08 pm [emain.

I think at this time to much is being read into Rutherford's concerns about cap room. If that is an issue there are other players who should be moved before Miller. No doubt the Louis Eriksson situation still leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth in respect to giving large contracts to aging players, but Miller is a totally different type of player and wasn't signed because the PHO thought "it wasn't fair to these guys" meaning the Sedins to enter into a rebuild, and in so many words said they deserved another shot at the cup which is why the floater was acquired.
Of course Miller is one of the best value contracts in the NHL, he's a top-10 player making top-100 salary. The point isn't to move him to clear $5+ mil in cap space, it's to clear the 9+ million he'll cost in 2 years and acquire blue chip assets that will be cost-controlled for years on ELCs and/or as RFAs.
The alternative is to keep him around until player development within the organization can fill his shoes and structure the team with that in mind. In two yrs Miller will be what, 32, and given his play will likely still be contributing. As Allvin has pointed out he is a player you build around.

In every UFA situation the balance becomes measure potential worth in terms of contractual term and price. In Miller's case I would speculate any negotiation is going to be the higher the dollar amount the shorter the term and vice versa.

It's hard to assess Miller's trade value without being privy to those discussions, the one year remaining on his contract, as you point out is a bargain and makes him an attractive trade acquisition, particularly this off season where his value is probably as high as it ever will be. Unfortunately a rebuilding team usually doesn't have the assets necessary to complete a Miller trade and an established playoff team is not going to gut it's roster to pay what Miller is worth. Arguably a prudent GM would most likely sweeten the pot with futures ie draft picks which wouldn't realize their value for another three to four years, something Canuck management could hopefully do in any event via the draft etc. and still keep Miller, assuming both come to an agreement. The upside is the team remains competitive under Boudreau while still being able develop its own players internally.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’d be careful giving up on Boeser now, could come back to haunt us. I think he’s going through some stuff regarding his Dad. Could easily see him go back to that torrid scoring pace he was on when he came in the league
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Arbour wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:58 am

The alternative is to keep him around until player development within the organization can fill his shoes and structure the team with that in mind. In two yrs Miller will be what, 32, and given his play will likely still be contributing. As Allvin has pointed out he is a player you build around.

In every UFA situation the balance becomes measure potential worth in terms of contractual term and price. In Miller's case I would speculate any negotiation is going to be the higher the dollar amount the shorter the term and vice versa.

It's hard to assess Miller's trade value without being privy to those discussions, the one year remaining on his contract, as you point out is a bargain and makes him an attractive trade acquisition, particularly this off season where his value is probably as high as it ever will be. Unfortunately a rebuilding team usually doesn't have the assets necessary to complete a Miller trade and an established playoff team is not going to gut it's roster to pay what Miller is worth. Arguably a prudent GM would most likely sweeten the pot with futures ie draft picks which wouldn't realize their value for another three to four years, something Canuck management could hopefully do in any event via the draft etc. and still keep Miller, assuming both come to an agreement. The upside is the team remains competitive under Boudreau while still being able develop its own players internally.
Except you haven't calculated what it would cost to move him in 3+ years?

Thats the kicker, what would they have to add to move him once he is no longer worth his cap hit? Probably a 1st regardless of how his salary is structured. Not many teams are taking on other players garbage anymore unless it is worth it.