Canadian Division

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: Canadian Division

Post by BCExpat »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:11 pm
BCExpat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:58 pm I can't see goaltending as being a problem for the Canucks. If they remain healthy - they will be fine. If I were a Canucks fan, I'd be worried about a key injury or 2, as the depth seems kind of thin.
Losing any one of Pettersson, Hughes or Horvat would be critical. Any other losses could be overcome.
Agreed - like I mentioned - key injury.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

BCExpat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:13 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:11 pm
BCExpat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:58 pm I can't see goaltending as being a problem for the Canucks. If they remain healthy - they will be fine. If I were a Canucks fan, I'd be worried about a key injury or 2, as the depth seems kind of thin.
Losing any one of Pettersson, Hughes or Horvat would be critical. Any other losses could be overcome.
Agreed - like I mentioned - key injury.
That’s a fair point but you could say the same for almost any team. Look at how the Flames fell apart without Thachuk.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If Boeser can find his shot again the canucks will be sitting pretty. Without him picking corners they'll struggle
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

theman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:08 pm That’s a fair point but you could say the same for almost any team. Look at how the Flames fell apart without Thachuk.
You probably wouldn't say that about Johnny Hokey though ;)

Sorry, BCE. I had to... :mrgreen:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:36 pm
theman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:08 pm That’s a fair point but you could say the same for almost any team. Look at how the Flames fell apart without Thachuk.
You probably wouldn't say that about Johnny Hokey though ;)

Sorry, BCE. I had to... :mrgreen:
Sadly you are right :|
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rob Williams @RobTheHockeyGuy
TSN guys not loving the Canucks chances in the North Division. Only one person picked them to make the playoffs and only Ottawa finished worse overall.

7:39 PM · Jan 12, 2021
"evolution"
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Micky wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:15 am
TSN guys not loving the Canucks chances in the North Division. Only one person picked them to make the playoffs and only Ottawa finished worse overall.

My prediction:

The leaves, Flames and Canucks will make the playoffs. Oilers and Habs will fight it out for the 4th spot.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Dreger what a troll. O Dog is the only guy showing Vancouver some love.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Micky wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:15 am

The Canadiens added a slow-footed second line player, a terribly overpaid third line player coming off a serious shoulder injury, and a backup goalie to a group that would have easily missed the playoffs last year but for the playoff expansion that made them the last team in. Their defense is terribly suspect, Price is no longer a game-stealer. Their forward corps lacks a player I would consider an elite talent. There isn't a single forward I would swap on that team for Miller, Pettersson, Boeser, or Horvat (if we are only looking at next season). It is possible Suzuki becomes that, less likely KK evolves into that. Montreal has a glut of good-but-shy-of-elite forward talent that makes scoring the least of their concerns, but its not a team built to outscore opponents either.

True, Drouin missed a lot of last year -- but there will be players missing large chunks of this season too. It always happens. And there are good young players that could make an impact on D and at forward. There is a future; I think they have hit their nadir will get better in years to come. But this season? I am totally non-plussed by this roster overall. And the offseason moves? It looks like a spastic use of cap space: getting the wrong players for the wrong terms. You can't build around third line players. I expect it will be regretted. (Jake Allen might actually have been the best of the pick ups given backups will get more comparative work this year, but that's as much of a comment on Price's fall from elite status as anything else -- Allen is a way not to fall further.)

Bottom line: Montreal is the second most likely team in the North to miss the playoffs. They could make it -- Suzuki could be great, Price might find the fountain of youth, the defense might overperform, and they don't need all of that because every team in the division has holes and at least one or two teams is going to have a disproportionate injury or covid issue. But they need lots of things go right for them or wrong for the other teams.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:29 am Lol Dreger what a troll. O Dog is the only guy showing Vancouver some love.
Fine with me - let everyone else have low expectations. :)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

To all experts, the Canucks will win the divison. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Apart from picking Toronto to place first or second (WTF!), those predictions have incredibly little in common.

I don't think any of them really have a clue.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:14 am Apart from picking Toronto to place first or second (WTF!), those predictions have incredibly little in common.

They seem unanimous about Ottawa! ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:16 am
5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:14 am Apart from picking Toronto to place first or second (WTF!), those predictions have incredibly little in common.

I think theyll catch a few teams sleeping
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:16 am

Only Wiz ventures onto that limb :-o