Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:11 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:45 am At this point Leivo will probably be a PTO at someone’s camp until he shows he is recovered and capable.
... or a Calgary Flame.
Too bad, I was hoping that there might be an outside chance to get Leivo back. I guess it's looking like we won't be able to move out Eriksson. I know this won't be popular here, but I was thinking of moving out Brockstar for a 1st rounder or a young D-man like Dobson + mid-round pick. Then use that money to sign Leivo and Hamonic. I guess we might still be able to do something similar, so maybe instead of Leivo, sign Athanasiou and Hamonic? :D
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:14 am Beagle is a grunt who busts his ass and drags everyone into the fight. Sure his term is 1 year too long (JB even noted this was required to lure him into the rebuild) but he has been a part of rebuilding a winning culture.

Money well spent
Personally, I like Beagle. Sure, he doesn't have much O in him, but I think he's the perfect 4th line centre: tons of experience, has size, good defensively, can play on the PK, blocks shots and is great in the dot. One thing Beags is NHL elite in, it's faceoffs. I still remember when we had the dinky centres play on the 4th line and they were pretty much opposite of everything that Beags brings. Smurf sized guys like Burmistrov, Samwise Gagner and Linden Vey. They were more skilled than Beags, but they were a major liability when they were out there against the other team's big lines. Now that was a shit show. At least with Beags, he's good enuff to battle for a saw off and at least keep it even. Sure, he may be a bit overpayed, but not by much and we're not paying him to score. It's all the other mentioned intangibles that he brings.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:58 pm I was thinking of moving out Brockstar for a 1st rounder or a young D-man like Dobson + mid-round pick.
Micky is gonna love this idea!

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:58 pm enuff
Good job Todd, you saved a keystroke there!

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:58 pm overpayed
Fuck! Oh well hey, you broke even big guy...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I’m not worried about adding reinforcements before the season starts. I think Benning was looking for a chance to call up some Utica defensemen last season, but for some inexplicable reason there were very few injuries on the back end. It’s time to see what their defensive prospects have at the NHL level. Another defensemen can be added a the trade deadline if none of the prospects do well and one is needed. The Canucks are getting a bad rap for losing Toffoli. The team was top ten offensively last season without him. There were very few games played with both Toffoli and Boeser. It would be nice to have Toffoli, but his loss should not mean the team is any worse than last season. And with the young guys getting a year older and having playoff experience, they are likely to be better. The defence will be more dynamic and less susceptible to getting hemmed in their own zone with Schmidt. His breakouts should also add to the team’s offence. The goalies could surprise if Demko carries on from his playoff performances or Holtby recovers with a better goalie coach. Either one is capable of being a top five goalie in the league. I don’t see any reason the Canucks shouldn’t be favoured to get one of the top three playoff spots in either the Canadian or the Pacific division.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:07 pm I’m not worried about adding reinforcements before the season starts. I think Benning was looking for a chance to call up some Utica defensemen last season, but for some inexplicable reason there were very few injuries on the back end. It’s time to see what their defensive prospects have at the NHL level. Another defensemen can be added a the trade deadline if none of the prospects do well and one is needed. The Canucks are getting a bad rap for losing Toffoli. The team was top ten offensively last season without him. There were very few games played with both Toffoli and Boeser. It would be nice to have Toffoli, but his loss should not mean the team is any worse than last season. And with the young guys getting a year older and having playoff experience, they are likely to be better. The defence will be more dynamic and less susceptible to getting hemmed in their own zone with Schmidt. His breakouts should also add to the team’s offence. The goalies could surprise if Demko carries on from his playoff performances or Holtby recovers with a better goalie coach. Either one is capable of being a top five goalie in the league. I don’t see any reason the Canucks shouldn’t be favoured to get one of the top three playoff spots in either the Canadian or the Pacific division.
Chris Tanev stats . -No question was a huge factor for Quinn Hughes' success, 5 on 5 for his first year. They helped each other to great years. Oh well, what was, was. They maybe would have matched up well for another year, maybe two, but that's all I see.

Nate Schmidt stats . - No reason to think this can't work as well if not better! No, Nate doesn't have the shot-block totals. Got more hits though. I can't help thinking Schmidt will have a career year in 20/21. paired with Hughes.

Gonna need healthy years from Edler and especially, Myers. That's a bit scary, historically.
We will need three qualified bottom paring defense-men with at least two of them able to step-up to top minutes when needed. Ya, I think we see some new faces on the back-end this year.

I think we'll be OK in net. Losing Markstrom is shitty but even if we'd had the $$$$, it was too much. Holtby will be great when Ian gets his game
back to the way it was. Piece of cake. No prob. 8-)

Our bottom six isn't top notch but there are some bright lights. Motte had a really good playoffs and maybe Gaudette figures the game out for keeps this upcoming season. Maybe a solution can be found to get the rest of this bunch playing at a better pace more conducive to better productivity!! Not holding my breath. The recent playoffs and the success the team had might help keep them focussed.

One thing I am not worried about is team leadership. Horvat and Miller got that room covered and Petey and Quinn just shine so bright ya gotta wear shades..
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BingoTough wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:32 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:39 pm Don’t you have a Frank Corrado card signing to attend ESQ? :lol:
Too funny. I was among those convinced he was a big loss (of potential) when he left... Mighta been wrong there :blush:

There too goes Cole Cassels, Kevin Connauton, Stumpy and probably many others.
Doyle's giving me the gears because while he was slobbering all over Ken Holland's draft record, I said Tyler Bertuzzi was equivalent to Frankie Corrado.

Frankie, as it turns out, is out of the league, while Tyler Bertuzzi is hands-down the worst top-line player in the league on the worst team in the league.

So my comparison may have been off, but the point - that Holland sucks at drafting, since Tyler Bertuzzi is in his top-5 picks in the last 20 drafts - still stands.

My other point - that Blob loved offensive-black-hole Gaunce - clearly went unacknowledged. :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:34 am
BingoTough wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:32 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:39 pm Don’t you have a Frank Corrado card signing to attend ESQ? :lol:
Too funny. I was among those convinced he was a big loss (of potential) when he left... Mighta been wrong there :blush:

There too goes Cole Cassels, Kevin Connauton, Stumpy and probably many others.
Doyle's giving me the gears because while he was slobbering all over Ken Holland's draft record, I said Tyler Bertuzzi was equivalent to Frankie Corrado.

Frankie, as it turns out, is out of the league, while Tyler Bertuzzi is hands-down the worst top-line player in the league on the worst team in the league.

So my comparison may have been off, but the point - that Holland sucks at drafting, since Tyler Bertuzzi is in his top-5 picks in the last 20 drafts - still stands.

My other point - that Blob loved offensive-black-hole Gaunce - clearly went unacknowledged. :lol:
Yeah no... Blob said that Gaunce should have been protected in order to expose Sutter and his bloated contract. I’m guessing English isn’t your first language?

And no nobody was throwing bouquets at Holland, just pointing out over a specific period of time, his drafti g was far superior to Vancouver’s during the same time period. I think the GP by Detroit’s players was like 3- 1 to Vancouver. So while Holland may not have been a drafting savant at that that time he blew the doors off of Vancouver. You got upset and said that Frank Corrado was at least as good as Bertuzzi who although not a top line player is at least a legit top 9 or probably top 6 forward. At least he’s good enough to be in the league unlike Corrado.

I get a kick out of the anger you and the Chef have towards Ken Holland. It’s hilarious, like he’d done something personal to you. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:19 am No reason to think this can't work as well if not better! No, Nate doesn't have the shot-block totals (of Tanev).
How could he get those kind of shot blocking totals? I like Tanev's game, and his lack of fear in shot blocking, but, he is also one of the worst at getting out of the zone, so he faces way too many shots. If Nate is as good as he seems to be, he will help end the Chinese fire drill that we saw way too many of last year, and there won't be as many shots to block.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Kenny Holland should have retired when Nik Lidstrom retired. He’s been tarnishing his career big time since. Hands down most overrated GM in existence
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:30 am Kenny Holland should have retired when Nik Lidstrom retired. He’s been tarnishing his career big time since. Hands down most overrated GM in existence
He really isn’t.

Three Stanley Cups say otherwise. Again, the hatred some on a Canucks board that was never a rival of the Red Wings, have for the guy is fucking hilarious, like he’s some sort of villain.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Good for Leivo finding work in Calgary, there wasn't room for him here anyway. He doesn't play center and on the wings Miller, Boeser, Pearson, Virtanen, and Motte weren't sitting for him, and MacEwen is ready and provides some toughness along with skill, so that leaves two lineup spots. Roussel isn't going anywhere at least for this year, Sutter can play center and kills penalties so he fills a role Leivo doesn't, Hawryluk appears to have lot to offer as a grittier Motte in a depth role and is an even better fit if he can transition back to center, and Hoglander is a blue chip prospect they'll need to make room for sooner than later.

I'm sure some will crap on Benning for this but it sounds like he might be more focused on finding another defenseman and spending most of whatever cap money remains there and that would be the right decision.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:14 pm Very strong rumors on Canucks closing in on a 4 year 5 to 5.25 for Toffoli. https://twitter.com/NHLRumorsDaily/stat ... 2677091329
Here's what the top mods at HF say about your source NHLRumorsDaily:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... 65/page-10
Please refrain from posting unreliable sources in this thread. Not sure what that means? Roger Dicklund, NHLrumorsdaily or Forever Blueshirts4 are not reliable.

What is a credible source? Brooks, McKenzie, Dreger, etc.

Take this as your one and only warning. Thank you.
The mods on the Trade board over there know their stuff.

Yeah so not sure that makes for "strong rumors(sic)" there Mick.
Yeah so how did those "very strong rumours" turn out there Micky? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm Yeah so how did those "very strong rumours" turn out there Micky? :drink:
Bored? I'll bet you there was mutual interest.

and why would I pay any attention to your super hero mod "chum" over yonder?
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:07 am Good for Leivo finding work in Calgary, there wasn't room for him here anyway. He doesn't play center and on the wings Miller, Boeser, Pearson, Virtanen, and Motte weren't sitting for him, and MacEwen is ready and provides some toughness along with skill, so that leaves two lineup spots. Roussel isn't going anywhere at least for this year, Sutter can play center and kills penalties so he fills a role Leivo doesn't, Hawryluk appears to have lot to offer as a grittier Motte in a depth role and is an even better fit if he can transition back to center, and Hoglander is a blue chip prospect they'll need to make room for sooner than later.

I'm sure some will crap on Benning for this but it sounds like he might be more focused on finding another defenseman and spending most of whatever cap money remains there and that would be the right decision.
Benning offered Levio a contract for less than a million. Levio didn't take it. There is no crap to give JB on this.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:14 pm Very strong rumors on Canucks closing in on a 4 year 5 to 5.25 for Toffoli. https://twitter.com/NHLRumorsDaily/stat ... 2677091329
Here's what the top mods at HF say about your source NHLRumorsDaily:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... 65/page-10
Please refrain from posting unreliable sources in this thread. Not sure what that means? Roger Dicklund, NHLrumorsdaily or Forever Blueshirts4 are not reliable.

What is a credible source? Brooks, McKenzie, Dreger, etc.

Take this as your one and only warning. Thank you.
The mods on the Trade board over there know their stuff.

Yeah so not sure that makes for "strong rumors(sic)" there Mick.
Yeah so how did those "very strong rumours" turn out there Micky? :drink:
.. careful Doc... you might start another EPIC battle without meaning too.. I mean, seriously, your just asking a simple question regarding credibility.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:29 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm Yeah so how did those "very strong rumours" turn out there Micky? :drink:
Bored? I'll bet you there was mutual interest.
"Mutual interest" is a far cry from "Canucks closing in on a 4 year 5 to 5.25 for Toffoli" :scowl:

Your crap site got it dead wrong because it's a crap site.

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:29 pm and why would I pay any attention to your super hero mod "chum" over yonder?

Well that particular post of mine was followed in quick succession by these two posts:
Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 pm I'm doing this because I'm a mod... what's your excuse?

NHLrumorsdaily is a crap site Mr Strong Rumours.
Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:51 pm Stop linking to crap sites...
Yeah, so hopefully you've been "paying attention" to YOUR "super hero mod" = Strangelove :sly:

... although your response today suggests otherwise.

And yes, I'm bored...
____
Try to focus on someday.