Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by SKYO »

Wow amazing Holtby took less term to play here! I'm sure he had longer term offers elsewhere, Holtby and Marky were the top netminders available today.

2 years is perfect for the both parties, as the cap escrow will/should go up by then, and Holtby is still young enough and probably have superb #'s on this rising team as Petey/Hughes develop further & he can sign a mega UFA deal after that while Demko starts to take over. Or Holts goes to Seattle for a year.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun
Let me clear on Holtby: it's a 4-team NO list. So four teams he won't go to without waiving. So pretty flexible list for Van
His real money is split. Big in year two.. https://www.capfriendly.com/players/braden-holtby
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:52 am
Raging Fury wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:37 am Next, hole on defense. However I think it's better if we wait for this need. Bargains can be had for those who wait during UFA signing frenzy. We need cap efficiency more than anything else long term.
Not a lot of money left. Maybe Benning really wants to give his prospects, Chatfield and Rafferty, time on the right side.
Right now the depth there is:

Myers
Rafferty
Chatfield
Benn

I would think that adding a right side D, if not Tanev, would be their priority, but maybe Benning sees this as the year the rookie D that have been cooking in Utica get their shot. Another option if the left side D does well, Rathbone and Juolevi, is to try Hughes on the right side? There are not many right side D on the market, so maybe that’s how they’ll go?

Hughes Edler
Myers Rathbone
Rafferty Juolevi
Chatfield Benn
I think there's actually quite a few top-4 D that can replace Tanev's 18-19 minutes. Now that Calgary has spent its cap room, they have to let Hamonic and Brodie walk. There's a few guys who will go for more than what we paid Tanev last year, but quite a few who could be $4 mil or less.

Pietrangelo, Barrie, Vatanen, Tanev will all go for over $5 mil, but Schultz, Brodie, Ceci, Hamonic, maybe Shattenkirk will go for less.

If you're taking a super-cheap, high-reward type I'd offer Bogosian a one-year deal, I think he could be had for cheap, and he played well enough for 17:40/game in the Playoffs.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Micky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:05 am
Let me clear on Holtby: it's a 4-team NO list. So four teams he won't go to without waiving. So pretty flexible list for Van
His real money is split. Big in year two.. https://www.capfriendly.com/players/braden-holtby
Another way 2020 is weird, back-loaded instead of front-loaded contracts. Holtby’s 2.9m first year and 5.7m second year must be all about escrow and fear of claw backs without any fans in the stands creating revenue. The revenue situation should be better the year after next... we hope.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

nuckster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:27 am
Topper wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 am
theman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 am
Raging Fury wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:30 am
nuckster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 am What a waste of fuckin time that was! Gawd (re:OEL).
It may have indirectly hurt us because it backed up the talks with our pending UFAs.

Oh well what's done is done, no use whining about it. Lots of work to be done going forward.
Agree, very curious to see how Vancouver does over the next few days.
from the folks who can't chew gum and walk at the same time
Really Topper!? Thats your contribution to the hockey world today? Was there anything that was said here that lent itself to warrant your incredibly gifted one-liner?

Yeah, my tolerance level is basically shot for the week. Can feel a cab-sav hang-over coming on for tomorrow... combined with a puff or two ofcourse.
Chill out nuckster.

Topper hasn’t contributed anything of value to this site since Mason Raymond was a Canuck.

Don’t even give his one liners the time of day, the only person who thinks they are even amusing is him.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Just listening to Holtby,..RADIO.. he has already reached out to Demko. Wants to talk to him and get off on the right track..
Randip Janda@RandipJanda
Braden Holtby says working with Canucks goaltending coach Ian Clark was a major selling point for him
11:39 AM · Oct 9, 2020
Last year wasn't his best but Ian is pretty good at helping work out bugs that over time, can creep into a guy's game or even help with the reality
of aging and compensating for it.
"evolution"
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Reports the Canucks have discovered that a RHD named Tanev is available as an UFA, trying to sign him now.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

theman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:45 am Reports the Canucks have discovered that a RHD named Tanev is available as an UFA, trying to sign him now.
I think it could be just what they need. getterdun
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Hope the 5x5 out of Pittsburgh were just rumours. With Tanev term is everything. They should really walk if the demand is more than two years. I wouldn’t mind even 5m if they have cap space, but Benning needs to keep the term low. Injuries and declining play are real issues. Anything like 5x5 is a mistake.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:58 am Hope the 5x5 out of Pittsburgh were just rumours. With Tanev term is everything. They should really walk if the demand is more than two years. I wouldn’t mind even 5m if they have cap space, but Benning needs to keep the term low. Injuries and declining play are real issues. Anything like 5x5 is a mistake.

I actually wouldn't go above what he made last year, perhaps give him term though
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:58 am Hope the 5x5 out of Pittsburgh were just rumours. With Tanev term is everything. They should really walk if the demand is more than two years. I wouldn’t mind even 5m if they have cap space, but Benning needs to keep the term low. Injuries and declining play are real issues. Anything like 5x5 is a mistake.
I agree re. term, I'd be okay with an NMC on a short-term deal, since I think he's worth an expansion draft protection slot.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:53 am Wow amazing Holtby took less term to play here! I'm sure he had longer term offers elsewhere, Holtby and Marky were the top netminders available today.
You’re sure of it are you? He’s been declining for three years but yes I’m sure he had more lucrative offers coming out the ying yang. :lol:

For the record this is a decent signing in Hargraves‘ eyes.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Both the team and Holtby got what they wanted with this contract, in my opinion.

We want a short term goalie to play in tandem with Demigod that can satisfy the expansion draft requirements. Yes our goaltending took a hit with Marky departing, but Holtby is probably the best UFA goalie after Marky. I feel we will be ok in goal.

Holtby is looking for a reasonable contract to bet on himself and to ride out the flat cap environment.

So far this has been a decent UFA day, no stupid money/term commitments. That's all I can hope for.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:31 am
Another way 2020 is weird, back-loaded instead of front-loaded contracts. Holtby’s 2.9m first year and 5.7m second year must be all about escrow and fear of claw backs without any fans in the stands creating revenue. The revenue situation should be better the year after next... we hope.
It’s expansion protection. They are hoping Seattle doesn’t want to pay real dollars.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:13 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:31 am
It’s expansion protection. They are hoping Seattle doesn’t want to pay real dollars.
Don't we want Holtby to be selected? Seattle will get someone, might as well be him.