Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Tciso »

Micky wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:59 am Braden Holtby has decided to wear number 49. Maybe later he'll say why.

https://twitter.com/irfgaffar/status/13 ... 9122888706
Cuz Doug Glatt already took # 69.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:37 am
ESQ wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:29 am Another interesting tidbit from Vegas owner Foley:
"It's one reason why I was really in favour of keeping both goalies — I really felt like we're going to be playing four games in seven nights every week. There's going to be a back-to-back almost every week," he said. "...So I was always working to keep those two goalies in town."
Definitely glad Benning got Holtby under contract - if there's a back-to-back every week in a condensed schedule, we need a great 1-2 goalie tandem to stay afloat.
Marty Biron says the Holtby signing was likely the best of all the UFA contracts thrown out so far. While Calgary and Coilerton were consumed with one-upping each other over Marky, the canucks snuck in there and snatched the golden goose
And it’s the right amount of term as well.

Also, regarding the rumoured Canadian division (extra hockey hate) and condensed schedule, we will be happy to have let Tavel walk, and still retaining the ‘Almost Made It’s” in Utica for depth. No way we roll a condensed schedule without getting a hammering of injuries.

Depth will be key.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 pm
damonberryman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:28 pm
Micky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:07 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:19 am They could also pair up Schmidt with one of the prospects if the prospect looks ready in camp.
Schmidt with Rathbone would really push the pace.
I like this way of thinking! Really looking forward to camp! Betting Rathbone is gonna make it difficult for Green to ignore his talent.
At this point, it's probably Juolevi's to lose, we'll see. There will be injuries, (hope not), inevitably, so I think it wont be a long wait. Jack is
the real deal.
Why is he the 'real deal'?
This is just a very few highlights of what the Canucls have been seeing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nd5e5- ... e=emb_logo
It's a big step from college hockey but Brock did it and of course Quinn too.
Thanks Micky. His long passes are impressive
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 am
Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:58 pm (Taking oneself too seriously) is the one unforgivable sin here bro!
I always felt that the one unforgivable sin was being a leaves fan?
Okay, there are two unforgivable sins...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:58 pm (Taking oneself too seriously) is the one unforgivable sin here bro!
And then there are people who are simultaneously Canuck fans and Boston fans... if that’s not a sin it ought to be.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 pm
And then there are people who are simultaneously Canuck fans and Boston fans... if that’s not a sin it ought to be.
No they int!
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Three!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11903
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 pm
damonberryman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:28 pm
Micky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:07 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:19 am They could also pair up Schmidt with one of the prospects if the prospect looks ready in camp.
Schmidt with Rathbone would really push the pace.
I like this way of thinking! Really looking forward to camp! Betting Rathbone is gonna make it difficult for Green to ignore his talent.
At this point, it's probably Juolevi's to lose, we'll see. There will be injuries, (hope not), inevitably, so I think it wont be a long wait. Jack is
the real deal.
Why is he the 'real deal'?
This is just a very few highlights of what the Canucls have been seeing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nd5e5- ... e=emb_logo
It's a big step from college hockey but Brock did it and of course Quinn too.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Rathbone at training camp, it sure appears like him or Juolevi are going to have a spot to lose. Rathbone sheltered with a good veteran defensive partner could work out and rolling Hughes, Schmidt, and an effective Rathbone one shift after another on their own pairings changes everything for this team.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:46 am
Micky wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:59 am Braden Holtby has decided to wear number 49. Maybe later he'll say why.

https://twitter.com/irfgaffar/status/13 ... 9122888706
Cuz Doug Glatt already took # 69.
Just saw this.

Mint.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:02 pm I'm really looking forward to seeing Rathbone at training camp, it sure appears like him or Juolevi are going to have a spot to lose. Rathbone sheltered with a good veteran defensive partner could work out and rolling Hughes, Schmidt, and an effective Rathbone one shift after another on their own pairings changes everything for this team.
Well, I hope it’s all there for Rathbone, just because he has one of the coolest names on the team, but I fear that he is a little hyped because of his offence. Be advised, this is just my fear, I haven’t seen enough of his play to Really decide. I am worried about his defensive game, and we all know how a lack of a defensive game In a defenceman works out at the NHL level. We should temper expectations. We will start in the bottom pairing and be exposed when he gets caught out against the other teams best forwards.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 pm And then there are people who are simultaneously Canuck fans and Boston fans... if that’s not a sin it ought to be.
I am.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:18 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:02 pm I'm really looking forward to seeing Rathbone at training camp, it sure appears like him or Juolevi are going to have a spot to lose. Rathbone sheltered with a good veteran defensive partner could work out and rolling Hughes, Schmidt, and an effective Rathbone one shift after another on their own pairings changes everything for this team.
Well, I hope it’s all there for Rathbone, just because he has one of the coolest names on the team, but I fear that he is a little hyped because of his offence. Be advised, this is just my fear, I haven’t seen enough of his play to Really decide. I am worried about his defensive game, and we all know how a lack of a defensive game In a defenceman works out at the NHL level. We should temper expectations. We will start in the bottom pairing and be exposed when he gets caught out against the other teams best forwards.
Absolutely, I agree with you and I think it comes down to whoever he ultimately gets partnered with. Juolevi is a safer bet to start here but I'd be surprised if Rathbone doesn't at least get a few games at some point. Adding Hughes last season, Schmidt and potentially Rathbone or even Juolevi this season is a pretty solid influx of talent and it's going to be a lot fun watching things unfold from here and I can't wait.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 pm Absolutely, I agree with you and I think it comes down to whoever he ultimately gets partnered with. Juolevi is a safer bet to start here but I'd be surprised if Rathbone doesn't at least get a few games at some point. Adding Hughes last season, Schmidt and potentially Rathbone or even Juolevi this season is a pretty solid influx of talent and it's going to be a lot fun watching things unfold from here and I can't wait.
Yup. I agree with that!

I do hope that coaching finds a way to cycle 20-25 games to rookies (not at the same time!) just to see what we have in the Chatfield, Sautner, etc on defence. I can’t watch enough of the Utica games, and it’s tough to judge against the competition they play when I do watch.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1539251

Sounds like Nucks are looking @ some bargain players of the Fatenberger ilk.

1) Jace Hawryluk (C) - sounds like an energy player
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... pid=160186

2) Slater Koekkoek (D) - depth D-man
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... pid=130585

I'm starting to think we might as well just give up a high pick to get rid of Eriksson. His presence and contract are always hovering around the background, just pay the price, get him out of here and be done with it. His $6M cap hit for 2 years is holding us back from making moves (ie: signing Jake, signing depth guys like Leivo, Fatenberg and these 2 other guys).

We lost a good forward (Toffoli) and some depth guys up front (Boucher, Goldobin and who knows with Ferly + Leivo), we're tight against the cap, so that our hands are tied from making moves. I'm starting to think we might as well just keep Baercheese this year. He doesn't play the heavy game that Greener likes and he'll be playing a bit scared, but he has decent skills. I don't think we'll have the depth like last season, so we might as well just play him here as we're paying him anyways. Maybe we'll be lucky and he'll put up some points if we plays with Petey or BoHo, then we can trade his ass for something @ TDD. Pump and dump!

I really liked the Holtby move and he should be a great 1-2 punch with Demko. We simply cannot give Marky 6 years. Holtby's contract is smartly structured, so that if Seattle takes him they pony up for the fat expensive year. It really seems like an Aqualini constructed contract. :P

I was a bit mixed on Nate Schmidt, as I haven't seen him enuff to really gauge him. Just initially the 5 years left on his contract really scared me. We haven't had a good history of players with fat contracts playing well into their mid-30s, but I listened to his interview and he seems to be a bit of a happy go lucky guy like Smiley Hutton, but is a bit of a character/personality like Bieksa. He seems to love to battle, takes on the challenge to play hard minutes and "eat some pucks", so he's growing on me a bit. I'll give him a chance and watch him closely when we play again to really decide. Ppl compare him to Ehrhoff, so hopefully he plays like that for most of his contract and not be another Baltard. :D
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd... Schmidt is a top pairing dee who can play either side on a team-friendly contract and he'll be just 33 when it runs out.

You are worried about the loss of Boucher and Goldobin bro? Really?? :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.