Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2Fingers wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 am With next season being an odd one, I wonder how much of that goes into decisions. There is a chance, remote one I know, that they may not even have playoffs. With all the talk about second wave being worse how will that impact the league?

Not being a disease experts is the timeline for a second wave starting now and ends in 6 months or starting now at the bottom and peaks in months from now? This is why I prefer to wait this off season and not take on any bad contracts as we have no idea on the 2021
Covid ain’t going away, Thumbs. Not until their is a vaccine that works and is widely available. It’s here to stay, but to your point yes I believe some of that to be true.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:46 am
2Fingers wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 am With next season being an odd one, I wonder how much of that goes into decisions. There is a chance, remote one I know, that they may not even have playoffs. With all the talk about second wave being worse how will that impact the league?

Not being a disease experts is the timeline for a second wave starting now and ends in 6 months or starting now at the bottom and peaks in months from now? This is why I prefer to wait this off season and not take on any bad contracts as we have no idea on the 2021
Covid ain’t going away, Thumbs. Not until their is a vaccine that works and is widely available. It’s here to stay, but to your point yes I believe some of that to be true.
IMO., It is still the best idea to field the best, most competitive team we can. Anything short of that is irresponsible to the fans and the league.
What if everyone did that? Then even the TV and streaming revenues take a big shit.
Did people generally enjoy the bubble playoff? Ya. Even I got right the fuck into it and I didn't think I would.
Besides; that's not what you want the elite players on the team to go through........
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

UWSaint wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:11 am
ukcanuck wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:10 am
I wouldn’t say over achieved this year. I’d say they discovered how good they were this year in the first ten games of the season but it took until the bubble to figure out how to play team defense.
I know it’s all about the free agency stuff, but mark this. They figured out how to play team defense by collapsing. This reduced out of position fire drills but took its toll on possession and outlet options. The former is by design; the latter can be addressed but it isn’t so easy. Canucks will need to figure out the latter for this system to work as the rope a dope.
Yeah by the last three games against the knights you are right. They did collapse too much but I think that was because they still are not a complete team and it’s a learning curve but I think it’s reasonable to think that they took a huge step as a team and that Holtby and Demko will be less fire drill than Markstrom/ Demko saw.

Lol or at least that’s what I tell myself when I rock myself to sleep at night
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:37 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am Hoglander is struggling to start the season. No goals in 4 games but has apparently played well.

Probably best to pump the brakes on this kid taking a job next year barring some sort of rapid acceleration in his development. Likely 2 years away minimum
Did I say he was taking a job next year. It’s just nice knowing he’s property of your Vancouver Canucks? Anyhow Benning can’t stop gushing over him. Most everyone else except Brown Wizard see him as an excellent prospect. Take a gander at some of those top 50 nhl affiliated prospect lists out there BW, stop being a douche bag
Nothing like overreacting :lol:

Suggesting pumping the brakes on expectations because hes not NHL ready quite yet is hardly dooshbaggery
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

dangler wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:27 am
ESQ wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:21 am
I expect a rookie dman on the team this year, leaving space for a UFA RD and possibly Toffoli.
I'm wondering if Jake getting qualified signals that he could be given the opportunity to be Toffolis replacement.
With roughly $4mill in cap space left there might only be room for a RHD
I don't think it's $4 mil cap space, it's $8 mil, less the $1.7 mil in bonus overage, plus $2.4 mil if Baertschi and Loui are demoted, plus $3.5 mil if Ferland is LTIRed.

Where does $4 mil come from? I've seen it a few times here.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm wondering if Benning is confident on Tryamkin's return? That would make the loss of Troy easier to deal with (cap wise and personnel wise)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:39 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am Hoglander is struggling to start the season. No goals in 4 games but has apparently played well.

Probably best to pump the brakes on this kid taking a job next year barring some sort of rapid acceleration in his development. Likely 2 years away minimum
Did I say he was taking a job next year. It’s just nice knowing he’s property of your Vancouver Canucks? Anyhow Benning can’t stop gushing over him. Most everyone else except Brown Wizard see him as an excellent prospect. Take a gander at some of those top 50 nhl affiliated prospect lists out there BW, stop being a douche bag

Suggesting pumping the brakes on expectations because hes not NHL ready quite yet is hardly dooshbaggery
C’mon ole Wooly Socks of the North. You were being a Debbie Downer. I hear the people of the North suffer from LDD Light Deprivation Disorder. Apparently they make screens representative of the sun to sit in front of while reading and drinking your morning Folgers
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:52 am

C’mon ole Wooly Socks of the North. You were being a Debbie Downer. I hear the people of the North suffer from LDD Light Deprivation Disorder. Apparently they make screens representative of the sun to sit in front of while reading and drinking your morning Folgers
Have you ever been to Alberta? We get waaaaay more sun here than you do in Vancouver, even with the shorter days. Hell, quite often when it is -20 deg C here, there is not a cloud in the sky.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:52 am

Hey dont attack my folgers man. Water boiled over the woodstove in the morning then into the giant mug of joy is a smell and taste you cant buy in those fancy 8 dollar a cup cappuccino bars on commercial....you can just taste the carcinogens flowin
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:46 am I'm wondering if Benning is confident on Tryamkin's return? That would make the loss of Troy easier to deal with (cap wise and personnel wise)
His numbers in the KHL are not anything that jumps out and sais "That's the guy!".
1.7 for Stecher is a good deal. This is a ball drop, IMO. Maybe they try Rafferty but that's a major step up for him and I'm not sure if he's
a regular NHL guy.
TSN Radio Vancouver@DhaliwalSports
"Canucks called Stecher today, he could've been back in Vancouver but they were in on Tyson Barrie, Stecher's camp couldn't keep waiting, it was a timing issue not a money issue."11:40 AM · Oct 10, 2020
Guess there's only one phone. I don't buy ^^^^^^ this .
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:19 am
Micky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:29 am And even TB has to be somewhat reasonable, if there is such a thing right now, (F**king flames). A Pietrangelo get will be very big (8-9 per)
and 7 + years with a NTC or MTC.
7+ years eh.....

Where?
It's like I keep saying, there are ways.

For example Vegas is right up against the cap and yet they are hot +heavy after Pietrangelo.

This means they have other trades they can pull the trigger on any second.

They tell other GMs: "If we sign Pietro, we'll pull the trigger on these trades."

I'm sure Jimmy has a trade on the table to dump Loui/Rooster/Beagle if need be.

He'd rather not, but if Pietro was begging to come here he probably would.

People who say "We can't afford" this trade or that... aren't looking at the big picture.

There are always trades on the table we don't know about.

Jimmy would no doubt prefer to wait a year before dumping Loui/Rooster/Beagle because the sweetener will be less.

And a lot can happen in a year.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

7 plus Eh Doc?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:42 pm Now Stecher will probably be re-signed to roughly the same as he was making. That's what a UFA can do. Decide his own destiny.
We'll see.
Well if he can decide his own destiny, why doesn't he demand $10M-per? :mrgreen:

Micky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:44 am
Rick Dhaliwal @DhaliwalSports
Canucks are in mix for Stecher, there have been talks.
9:39 AM · Oct 10, 2020
No Doubt! We were not going to give him a 3.5 or higher deal but now we can sign him for around the same as he was making.
Think this was always the plan?
The plan was always to dump Stecher without looking too much like dinks in so doing.

Management decided a long time ago he wasn't worth near his qualifier.

I'll never understand the love you and Doyle shared for the runt...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:35 pm 7 plus Eh Doc?
Oh shit! :lol:

Missed that...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:37 pm
I'll never understand the love you and Doyle shared for the runt...
Name your six regular defense men for next year and, (make it easy on ya), your first 2 call-ups if needed.???

You are not entitled to say "I'll answer that when training camp ends.

I'll help you out and say (on your behalf)--not Benn, he's way fat and can't stay in shape.
"evolution"