Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 pm
theman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:48 pm Not sure what I think about this, don't know if he is the type of D man we need.
Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
The Canucks have had more talks with Tyson Barrie’s camp tonight. More to come tomorrow morning I think.
Ya, and it's the right hand side but;
Dhaliwal: I believe the Canucks are interested in Tyson Barrie.
9:20 PM · Oct 9, 2020
That's two; There are more. Smoke?

No. It’s not smoke. It’s click bait.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Micky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:42 pm Think the Canucks will probably talk to Tyson Barrie. Isn't this what many of us said July 2019 when he signed with TO?

Now Stecher will probably be re-signed to roughly the same as he was making. That's what a UFA can do. Decide his own destiny.
We'll see.

Quinn Hughes will miss Tanev. Sorry to see him go. Guess the Canucks didn't trust his longevity long term. Flames throwing plenty of money
around. Will come back to bite them. F**kers.
Irf Gaffar believes Barrie is asking for a ton of cash.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status ... 09056?s=20
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Satiar Shah seems to believe Mr Aquilini is directing Cool Hand Jim to do some belt tightening, like many other owners.

https://twitter.com/SatiarShah/status/1 ... 41280?s=20
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:48 pm Satiar Shah seems to believe Mr Aquilini is directing Cool Hand Jim to do some belt tightening, like many other owners.

https://twitter.com/SatiarShah/status/1 ... 41280?s=20
Wonder how the Stan Kroenke family in Colorado is doing with all their sports endeavors?

Sat Shah spewing the BS.
"evolution"
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

I dunno man, I'm not pleased to see both Markstrom and Tanev leave Vancouver and then... BECOME FUCKIN FLAMES!!! Jeeeezus! How the hell is that considered good management? I mean really (and all broom pushers would have to agree).

I like lots if what Benning does but he sure won't ever be accused of being a shrewd 'wheeler-dealer'. I don't understand the Toffoli move, he gives up a second round pick plus two more bodies, only to watch Toffoli walk away as a UFA. Wth, he was only with us since Feb.

There's more... but my ole lady is being quite insistent...gnite
cc oldtimer
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Im not unhappy that Markstrom walked. For all the obvious Demko related reasons plus I think Holtby is a fine addition at the right term. I am a little upset that Tanev is gone but I'm ok that we didn't give him his term and cap. It would have been 2 years too long given our cap situation and long term plans.

I don't want Barrie as a consolation prize at what he is asking and without dumping contracts Benning cant really go after anyone right now, not higher end caliber anyway.

When was the last time we lost two highly prized UFA like this? Can't remember I happening. Kind of stings but it is what it is. And even saying that, im not too upset. After all, we still have our first round pick next year so it may be ok :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:57 pm Im not unhappy that Markstrom walked. For all the obvious Demko related reasons plus I think Holtby is a fine addition at the right term. I am a little upset that Tanev is gone but I'm ok that we didn't give him his term and cap. It would have been 2 years too long given our cap situation and long term plans.

I don't want Barrie as a consolation prize at what he is asking and without dumping contracts Benning cant really go after anyone right now, not higher end caliber anyway.

When was the last time we lost two highly prized UFA like this? Can't remember I happening. Kind of stings but it is what it is. And even saying that, im not too upset. After all, we still have our first round pick next year so it may be ok :mrgreen:
Neither can I remember but I’m thinking this is a good thing. Addition by subtraction. I think most people at least understand the reasoning behind Markstrom but perhaps we all have rose colored glasses when it comes to Tanev. He’s got serious hard miles on him and perhaps the reason he managed nearly a whole season for the first time ?? Ever? Is because he played with Hughes who generally kept the puck in the offensive zone all game long.

I figure Tanev will be on LTIR for Calgary in short order and Markstrom will be average to good for his new team and His fat new contract long term contract.

Not knocking either guy, love em both, but it’s kinda like David Lee Roth quitting the band in both cases, their about to find out it was Eddie all along.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Like most of you i'm happy Jimbro didn't bend over on term for Marky & Tanev.
It sucks losing them, but Holtby is a fine plan B and there will be deals in the upcoming days.
Heard a Dan Murphy interview were he said it might be a good year for the Canucks to take a step back and wait for some contracts to expire and then
make their move to upgrade their deficiencies. The shit-talker interviewing him went on afterwards how he believed the fan-base wouldn't stand for it
and it would be a disaster. Well, it looks like there won't be any paying fans buying tickets anyways, so why not cool your jets for a year, save some
cash, let the prospects develop?
The Canucks over-achieved this year(even by doc's schedule!) and are ahead of the teams bad contracts expiration date. That coupled with the flat
cap and no gate revenue are why this is playing out like this.
Could still end up an improved team at the end of the day, and with the good young talent developing it should still be a pretty good team even if
Jimbro goes 0 for 3 on his UFA's.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dangler wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:39 am Like most of you i'm happy Jimbro didn't bend over on term for Marky & Tanev.
It sucks losing them, but Holtby is a fine plan B and there will be deals in the upcoming days.
Heard a Dan Murphy interview were he said it might be a good year for the Canucks to take a step back and wait for some contracts to expire and then
make their move to upgrade their deficiencies. The shit-talker interviewing him went on afterwards how he believed the fan-base wouldn't stand for it
and it would be a disaster. Well, it looks like there won't be any paying fans buying tickets anyways, so why not cool your jets for a year, save some
cash, let the prospects develop?
The Canucks over-achieved this year(even by doc's schedule!) and are ahead of the teams bad contracts expiration date. That coupled with the flat
cap and no gate revenue are why this is playing out like this.
Could still end up an improved team at the end of the day, and with the good young talent developing it should still be a pretty good team even if
Jimbro goes 0 for 3 on his UFA's.

I wouldn’t say over achieved this year. I’d say they discovered how good they were this year in the first ten games of the season but it took until the bubble to figure out how to play team defense.

There was a real growth spurt right across the line up and yeah I don’t expect the loss of 2 or 3 UFAs to be more than a hiccup while they wait till the next trade deadline whenever that will be.

All is fine as far as I’m concerned.

Color me not panicking
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Ugh, looks like Vancouver is panicking after yesterday. At least they are saying 'short term'
Discussions underway this morning between Tyson Barrie and the three primary teams with interest. Tight squeeze for the Oilers, but a good fit. Vancouver is eager to land Barrie and Colorado is in the mix as well. All short term.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

theman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:50 am Ugh, looks like Vancouver is panicking after yesterday. At least they are saying 'short term'
Discussions underway this morning between Tyson Barrie and the three primary teams with interest. Tight squeeze for the Oilers, but a good fit. Vancouver is eager to land Barrie and Colorado is in the mix as well. All short term.
Short term being the best part
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:14 am
theman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:50 am Ugh, looks like Vancouver is panicking after yesterday. At least they are saying 'short term'
Yeah. Unless we bring in a quality RFA by trade, the only guy I am giving term to would be AP.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

theman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:15 am
Yeah. Unless we bring in a quality RFA by trade, the only guy I am giving term to would be AP.
A motivated TB might be helluva plan B. He scores an assload of points.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:18 am
theman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:15 am
A motivated TB might be helluva plan B. He scores an assload of points.
Yeah.....and Chef scores as assload of blow and hookers. Hasn't helped him keep the STD's out.....
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Barrie at say 6 for 2 years plus a solid depth guy like Hamonic would work out...the chef is a giant travis hamonic fan