Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:18 am
theman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:15 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:14 am
theman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:50 am Ugh, looks like Vancouver is panicking after yesterday. At least they are saying 'short term'
Discussions underway this morning between Tyson Barrie and the three primary teams with interest. Tight squeeze for the Oilers, but a good fit. Vancouver is eager to land Barrie and Colorado is in the mix as well. All short term.
Short term being the best part
Yeah. Unless we bring in a quality RFA by trade, the only guy I am giving term to would be AP.
A motivated TB might be helluva plan B. He scores an assload of points.
And even TB has to be somewhat reasonable, if there is such a thing right now, (F**king flames). A Pietrangelo get will be very big (8-9 per)
and 7 + years with a NTC or MTC.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Micky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:29 am
theman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:50 am Ugh, looks like Vancouver is panicking after yesterday. At least they are saying 'short term'
Discussions underway this morning between Tyson Barrie and the three primary teams with interest. Tight squeeze for the Oilers, but a good fit. Vancouver is eager to land Barrie and Colorado is in the mix as well. All short term.
Yeah. Unless we bring in a quality RFA by trade, the only guy I am giving term to would be AP.
And even TB has to be somewhat reasonable, if there is such a thing right now, (F**king flames). A Pietrangelo get will be very big (8-9 per)
Petro is worth every penny to a team like Van. If it takes that late 1st to clear the turd and add AP then so be it as far as I'm concerned
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I would give AP a NMC and maybe a modified NTC for the final 2 years. No problem. Him and Hughes would be a great partnership. Then sign a decent plug that can skate and fight for the #6.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The return of try-my-napkin will round out the bottom pairing

:mrgreen:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tryamkin will be a nice addition, BW. Really don’t get the negativity around Tryamkin. He’s got size, skating, can move the puck, is nasty and will be a monster for forwards to contend with. Him and Podkolzin coming over at the same time is huge for us not to mention the two of them have grit to their game. Throw in Hoglander I like the grit factor that’s coming through the system. Lockwood, Lind snd Woo also play with some jam if any of them can evolve
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ukcanuck wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:10 am
I wouldn’t say over achieved this year. I’d say they discovered how good they were this year in the first ten games of the season but it took until the bubble to figure out how to play team defense.
I know it’s all about the free agency stuff, but mark this. They figured out how to play team defense by collapsing. This reduced out of position fire drills but took its toll on possession and outlet options. The former is by design; the latter can be addressed but it isn’t so easy. Canucks will need to figure out the latter for this system to work as the rope a dope.
Hono_rary Canadian
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Micky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:29 am
7+ years eh.....

Where?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Losing Tanev hurts more than swapping Marky for Holtby. But I'm glad we don't need to cringe every time Tanev gets hit or blocks a shot to see how long he'll be out for - didn't he get hurt the last game of the regular season, and only recovered thanks to the covid shutdown? So that would have been another season of failing to top 70 games in a season.

This feels like losing Salo and Ohlund - I was sad to see them to, but they were both done like dinner.

Benning had the space for Tanev, but didn't have the long-term space for him in the roster, which is totally fair.

I expect a rookie dman on the team this year, leaving space for a UFA RD and possibly Toffoli.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:21 am Losing Tanev hurts more than swapping Marky for Holtby. But I'm glad we don't need to cringe every time Tanev gets hit or blocks a shot to see how long he'll be out for - didn't he get hurt the last game of the regular season, and only recovered thanks to the covid shutdown? So that would have been another season of failing to top 70 games in a season.

This feels like losing Salo and Ohlund - I was sad to see them to, but they were both done like dinner.

Benning had the space for Tanev, but didn't have the long-term space for him in the roster, which is totally fair.

I expect a rookie dman on the team this year, leaving space for a UFA RD and possibly Toffoli.
I think we can’t lose sight of the fact that team is about Petey and Gughes now. Benning can’t afford signing old men to big contracts anymore. Petey and Hughes will get up and around $10 million each I imagine
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

ESQ wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:21 am
I'm wondering if Jake getting qualified signals that he could be given the opportunity to be Toffolis replacement.
With roughly $4mill in cap space left there might only be room for a RHD
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dangler wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:27 am
ESQ wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:21 am
I'm wondering if Jake getting qualified signals that he could be given the opportunity to be Toffolis replacement.
I have no problem with that. We have 2 very good winger prospects coming in Hoglander and Podkolzin. No Hoglander and Podkolzin in the system I imagine we would’ve signed Toffoli

Sorry my quote function isn’t working properly
Is it this January or the next season for those 2 and tree
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hoglander is struggling to start the season. No goals in 4 games but has apparently played well.

Probably best to pump the brakes on this kid taking a job next year barring some sort of rapid acceleration in his development. Likely 2 years away minimum
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am Hoglander is struggling to start the season. No goals in 4 games but has apparently played well.

Probably best to pump the brakes on this kid taking a job next year barring some sort of rapid acceleration in his development. Likely 2 years away minimum
Did I say he was taking a job next year. It’s just nice knowing he’s property of your Vancouver Canucks? Anyhow Benning can’t stop gushing over him. Most everyone else except Brown Wizard see him as an excellent prospect. Take a gander at some of those top 50 nhl affiliated prospect lists out there BW, stop being a douche bag
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

With next season being an odd one, I wonder how much of that goes into decisions. There is a chance, remote one I know, that they may not even have playoffs. With all the talk about second wave being worse how will that impact the league?

Not being a disease experts is the timeline for a second wave starting now and ends in 6 months or starting now at the bottom and peaks in months from now? This is why I prefer to wait this off season and not take on any bad contracts as we have no idea on the 2021 season.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Dhaliwal @DhaliwalSports
Canucks are in mix for Stecher, there have been talks.
9:39 AM · Oct 10, 2020
No Doubt! We were not going to give him a 3.5 or higher deal but now we can sign him for around the same as he was making.
Think this was always the plan?
"evolution"