Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Curmudgeon »

Good to see Motte signed too.

Just a hunch but I don't think the OEL thing is dead.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Bummed about not getting OEL. He would've been a good addition.

Like Curmy says though, until they add a dman the door wont be closed. Just closed for public viewing and debate
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Toons gets to pump TJ Brodie for the next 4 years...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If I did my math right, including the 1.7m rookie bonuses, I think the Canucks have no more than 4.5 million to fill one more roster spot. They probably offered less than that to Tanev, to give a cushion because they may have to pay more than I estimated for RFAs Gaudette and Virtanen. The Canucks probably offered about 4.0 million to Tanev.

Beyond that they could sign one more cheap forward for less than 1.25 million and then send Loui down to Utica to get the money for the cap. Maybe they can find a good forward that can’t get a contract with something to prove for that.

This all assumes Ferland is on LTIR.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Nice work from Benning today imho. Holtby is the the ideal running mate for Demko and he comes at a reasonable cap hit and with a very comfortable two year term. While the market freaked out Benning made the right decision and let the Flames saddle themselves with an Erikssonesque $6x6 mega deal for Markstrom, who like his Swedish compatriot Brother Loui, apparently has a big family to feed ;)

It's why they call him Cool Hand Jim.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Nice to see Motte back at a modest number as well.

He stirs the bloody drink :drink:
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Return of The Tanman?
Iain MacIntyre
@imacSportsnet
·
53m
Braden Holtby made a difficult day for the Canucks a lot better. GM Benning thinks Chris Tanev may still return.

Holtby: "Two things we were looking for: a great place to live and a great chance to win, and (Vancouver) crossed off both boxes.”

https://twitter.com/imacSportsnet/statu ... 07041?s=20
A reasonably priced goalie to tandem with Demko is done.

If Benning can return Tanev and find a rw to replace Toffoli at a decent price in this cap strapped situation he will have cemented his status a genius of the hockey management realm.

Even getting two of those three things done would be damned impressive.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Raging Fury wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:23 pm Now that Marky is a Lame, it would truly be bizzaro world if Brodie became a Canuck.
I would have liked to seen TJ Brodie sign here. He’s well worth a four year deal at 20 million. He can play both sides and imho is as good as Chris Tanev but a lot more durable.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:53 pm Nice to see Motte back at a modest number as well.

He stirs the bloody drink :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:27 pm
Raging Fury wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:23 pm Now that Marky is a Lame, it would truly be bizzaro world if Brodie became a Canuck.
I would have liked to seen TJ Brodie sign here. He’s well worth a four year deal at 20 million. He can play both sides and imho is as good as Chris Tanev but a lot more durable.
I don't know Doyle, Brodie would have been a good replacement for Tanev but Tan pairs perfectly with Hughes and I never mess with perfection when I don't need to.

Besides, Tanev is becoming more durable in maturity. Just look at last year. He's like a late bloomer, grew eight inches in university; peaked physically in his thirties :D
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I dunno, he fell out of favour in Cowtown the last two seasons.

His offence is sliding and he still serves up some pretty nice pizzas.

He'll be 34 when the contract is up and if it goes south he's probably hard to move in that last year because the structure is:

$2.5M, $5M, $5M, $7.5M (no signing bonus).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm
I don't know Doyle, Brodie would have been a good replacement for Tanev but Tan pairs perfectly with Hughes and I never mess with perfection when I don't need to.

Besides, Tanev is becoming more durable in maturity. Just look at last year. He's like a late bloomer, grew eight inches in university; peaked physically in his thirties :D
Agreed, I'd rather have Tanev.
____
Try to focus on someday.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
54s
Hearing Chris Tanev closing in on a move to CAL
Dhaliwal reporting it too.

LOL, going from bad to worse for our 'UFAs' this week. I guess we will get Taffoli though? Lol

If true, I kind of hope Van goes after AP now.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm

I love Tanev. He comes back and he’s instantly the teams 2nd or 3rd best D man and instantly the best RH D man. He’s just made of glass.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Tanev to Calgary 4 x 4.5 per

Friedman and Dhaliwal reporting as done.