Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Right shooting D Jan Rutta is one player of the Fantenburg ilk that might be a budget fit here, perhaps...
el rey del mambo
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd, I disagree. Don't waste assets on dumping any player. We have no idea how next season gets played. when its over we have so many players whose contracts expire and a shit load of cap. It will be enough to sign the wonder kids. Why waste assets now. We will also presumably lose someone to Vegas, more cap gone. To me next season is another season of development and transition. We are transitioning into Demko Time. Of course I want a great season and playoffs but save the picks. Its not like we have 5-6 years left on these contracts and nor is our window closing, hell it has barely opened.

If we have to eat it for now this is good. It prevents Benning from doing something stupid. Like signing someone to a 4-6 year deal that we will all hate.

We will be out from under this mess in two years max and that includes the Luongo recapture. Keep the picks. Keep the prospects. Unless Benning has identified a prospect that he feels will never get a sniff in Vancouver and someone wants him to take on a contract I say stay the course, be patient. No more piecemeal. When we have the terrify duo signed long term then we can see what we have left and gather a supporting staff around them. I for one am glad the off season has unfolded as it has.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The Canucks have about 20 million coming off the cap next year, but is that even enough to sign Petey, Hughes and Demko? Adding any contracts above the $1,075,000 cap relief mark of sending someone down to Utica that go into next season seems unlikely at this point. I don’t see the Canucks signing any contracts above 1m that go into next season, or buying anyone out this season. Either of those moves would cut into the 20 million available next year.

Without moving any bodies in trades, which seems very difficult to do right now, they might have a bit of cap space after Jake and Gaudette are signed if they know Ferland is going onto LTIR, but it will be less than a million added to the cap relief mark.

Once those things are settled maybe they can offer one more UFA a one year contact in the 1.5m to 2m mark? Besides that they can offer any number of $1,075,000 contracts or PTOs as long as ownership is willing to pay the freight for these extra contracts. I expect one or two of these less expensive players to be signed before the season starts. Maybe players like Abdelkader, Gabner, Perry, Brassard, Hutton, Fantenberg or some unsigned European player will be willing to join the club for a cheap one-year deal to try to improve their value for the following season.

If Petey and Hughes get long term deals and Demko is signed, most if not all of that 20 million will be gone next season, with a number of UFAs going out the door, like Pearson, Sutter and Benn. There won’t be much room to offer any large contracts next season either. We need to get used to the idea of the Canucks adding players from the bargain basement bin, and having ELC prospects on the big club. There are other possibilities, like Eriksson’s contract disappearing, or trades happening, but they seem less likely given the lack of cap space and money available league wide.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:53 am The Canucks have about 20 million coming off the cap next year, but is that even enough to sign Petey, Hughes and Demko? Adding any contracts above the $1,075,000 cap relief mark of sending someone down to Utica that go into next season seems unlikely at this point. I don’t see the Canucks signing any contracts above 1m that go into next season, or buying anyone out this season. Either of those moves would cut into the 20 million available next year.
That's only enough if Demko shits the bed and turns out to be nothing more than a back up goalie.....unlikely.

Pete and Hughes will both land $9M. If Demko plays to even 80% of what we saw in the final 3 games of the playoffs then he's making $5M easy on a bridge deal, which would be a stupid move by Elmer considering Thatcher will be 25 in December and if he's as good as we think then locking him up for max term takes him to 33. After 33 you generally don't want to be paying top dollar for a goaltender on anything more than a 2 year deal.....and if it's that short on term then you know as a GM that you'll be taking it up the arse on AAV.

I would say that Benning needs to leave himself $25M in available cap space for next year when he has to sign those guys, and frankly that's conservative with us hoping Petey and Quinn take a bit less to stick around for 8 years each.

As it stands right now the Canucks will have $26.5M in available space next year based on what is coming off the books. But that will be spread over 13 players - 9 forwards, 3 defensemen, and Holtby.

But Jim has to sign those 3 guys. So he will have under $2M to add 4F and 4D.

Ferland is a wild card though. He's factored there so it could be 1 less skater, but that would also add $3.5M in available space.

Even if there are Utica players ready to make the jump Jim will absolutely have to move out Loui and one of Roussel or Beagle to make a roster.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Mëds wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:32 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:53 am The Canucks have about 20 million coming off the cap next year, but is that even enough to sign Petey, Hughes and Demko? Adding any contracts above the $1,075,000 cap relief mark of sending someone down to Utica that go into next season seems unlikely at this point. I don’t see the Canucks signing any contracts above 1m that go into next season, or buying anyone out this season. Either of those moves would cut into the 20 million available next year.
That's only enough if Demko shits the bed and turns out to be nothing more than a back up goalie.....unlikely.

Pete and Hughes will both land $9M. If Demko plays to even 80% of what we saw in the final 3 games of the playoffs then he's making $5M easy on a bridge deal, which would be a stupid move by Elmer considering Thatcher will be 25 in December and if he's as good as we think then locking him up for max term takes him to 33. After 33 you generally don't want to be paying top dollar for a goaltender on anything more than a 2 year deal.....and if it's that short on term then you know as a GM that you'll be taking it up the arse on AAV.

I would say that Benning needs to leave himself $25M in available cap space for next year when he has to sign those guys, and frankly that's conservative with us hoping Petey and Quinn take a bit less to stick around for 8 years each.

As it stands right now the Canucks will have $26.5M in available space next year based on what is coming off the books. But that will be spread over 13 players - 9 forwards, 3 defensemen, and Holtby.

But Jim has to sign those 3 guys. So he will have under $2M to add 4F and 4D.

Ferland is a wild card though. He's factored there so it could be 1 less skater, but that would also add $3.5M in available space.

Even if there are Utica players ready to make the jump Jim will absolutely have to move out Loui and one of Roussel or Beagle to make a roster.
Some one on the current roster will also be gone in the Seattle Kracker expansion draft. Most think it's be Holtby but maybe Myers might go if the Canucks think Juolevi has advanced enough in his career to be protected and they believe Tryamkin and Woo are NHLers. If they can sign Groot.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Myers has a modified no trade clause, doesn't that mean Van must protect him?
If you need air...call it in
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:58 am Myers has a modified no trade clause, doesn't that mean Van must protect him?
I read somewhere that Benning made certain Myers din't have a NMC in his contract after this past season so he could be exposed if necessary. If I am wrong some one here will find out and point it out to me.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:58 am Myers has a modified no trade clause, doesn't that mean Van must protect him?
Thought only full NMC have to be protected
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

There's a very real option of short-term bridge on Hughes. These out-of-college signings can sign for less on their second deal, because they have no leverage other than sitting out.

I could see Hughes signing for 6ish for 2 years. That lets you sign his 8-year extension to take him to 32, after Loui, Luongo, Beagle, and Roussel are gone.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 am There's a very real option of short-term bridge on Hughes. These out-of-college signings can sign for less on their second deal, because they have no leverage other than sitting out.

I could see Hughes signing for 6ish for 2 years. That lets you sign his 8-year extension to take him to 32, after Loui, Luongo, Beagle, and Roussel are gone.
Very good point. He has no arbitration rights either I believe.

Edit: He can't receive an 'offer sheet' that's it. Not sure about arbitration.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

mr perfect wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 am
I read somewhere that Benning made certain Myers din't have a NMC in his contract after this past season so he could be exposed if necessary. If I am wrong some one here will find out and point it out to me.
Oh i am sure you know better than I lol. I cant keep up with all the legalities and related bullshit....what with the 4 bowls a day i burn through and all
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 am There's a very real option of short-term bridge on Hughes. These out-of-college signings can sign for less on their second deal, because they have no leverage other than sitting out.

That makes some sense. Just that 2 or 3 mil wiggle room could make a difference. Be interesting to see how Quinn does in his 2nd full season.
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:36 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 pm And then there are people who are simultaneously Canuck fans and Boston fans... if that’s not a sin it ought to be.
I am.
:mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

theman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:19 am
Thought only full NMC have to be protected
You are correct Mr Man.

Myers could theoretically be exposed.

(but he won't) :mrgreen:

No doubt there will be a long line of GMs offering assets to Seattle to take this contract or that.

I wonder if Jimmy will be one of them.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

theman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am

Very good point. He has no arbitration rights either I believe.

Edit: He can't receive an 'offer sheet' that's it. Not sure about arbitration.
Hughes will have no arbitration rights.

What ESQ is suggesting is entirely plausible.
____
Try to focus on someday.