Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:59 am It's just the cap hit that seems high. Why are so many saying his skating is sub par? He may not have an explosive first stride but can certainly keep up on rushes. His role on the team isn't an easy one. Doesn't play with Horvat on the PP and this year, in particular, there's been plenty.
If there's something he could improve on it could be his physical play. Takes his share of dumb penalties as many on the team do but I'm talking more hitting along the boards to free-up pucks. Getting more involved in scrums, etc.
Because his skating IS subpar. He’s a below average skater.

Yes, him getting more involved in scrums should propel the team up the standings. :roll:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:20 am
Micky wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:59 am It's just the cap hit that seems high. Why are so many saying his skating is sub par? He may not have an explosive first stride but can certainly keep up on rushes. His role on the team isn't an easy one. Doesn't play with Horvat on the PP and this year, in particular, there's been plenty.
If there's something he could improve on it could be his physical play. Takes his share of dumb penalties as many on the team do but I'm talking more hitting along the boards to free-up pucks. Getting more involved in scrums, etc.

Yes, him getting more involved in scrums should propel the team up the standings. :roll:
Well, he could add ‘pin opposing players to the boards while on the PK’ to his defensive skill set. That should help, eh?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Your posts are no longer an acceptable interpretation of the current condition of the situation as you are fully invested in the dismantling of the current managerial leadership currently pulling the strings. I, on the other hand, am absolutely non bias in any way. :|
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:05 pm I didn’t mention Tyler Myers

And on no decent team is Tanner PeRson a #6 forward.

Nice try though Skippy :lol:
Sorry, I forgot you like to stick your head in the sand and pretend Myers isn't a #2 defenceman on this team, because you've got a boner for Schmidt.

Hm, I wonder what it is about Schmidt you like so much...perhaps his hairstyling ability to cover up his quarter? Image

Schmidt is signed through age 34, maybe by then he'll be able to kill penalties. Because with the team's 2nd-highest cap hit, you'd expect a bit more than a guy playing #5 minutes most nights.
Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 am
Our problem is the bloated contracts to Rousel, Sutter and Louise. Once those 3 are gone (and Beagle and Ferklund are perma LTIR), we are fine.. especially when Luongo, Beartschi and Spooner fall off.
I think we're fine after this season. There's $3.3 mil in "Non-roster" cap coming off this year with Baertschi and Spooner. Next year there's $9 million with Loui and Luongo.

Next year, there's $4.375 coming off with Sutter, who is a 50% roster player. The year following is $6 mil for Roussel and Beagle coming off the books.

Plus, sad to say, but Petey's play has knocked $4-5 mil off our worst-case cap hit fears of $11+.

But guys, can we please just wrap our head around the concept that if you want improved forward depth, you need to pay more for forwards? You can't have one top-line and 9 Leivos on the ice. When those contracts go, you either have to pay up to replace them with better players, or replace them with worse waiver-wire players.

If the plan is to have Miller, Petey and Horvat line up 1-2-3 at centre, that makes replacing Sutter simple. You then have a $5.5 mil #3C, but that's fine when it's Horvat. I don't recall who first suggested that, but with a rookie top-6 winger coming up this year and next, this has a lot of appeal.

Having 2 top-6 fowards on ELCs sure is nice.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:42 am

Well, he could add ‘pin opposing players to the boards while on the PK’ to his defensive skill set. That should help, eh?
Well sure... he could then use the pinning tactics in the scrums.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:51 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:05 pm I didn’t mention Tyler Myers

And on no decent team is Tanner PeRson a #6 forward.

Nice try though Skippy :lol:
Sorry, I forgot you like to stick your head in the sand and pretend Myers isn't a #2 defenceman on this team, because you've got a boner for Schmidt.

Hm, I wonder what it is about Schmidt you like so much...perhaps his hairstyling ability to cover up his quarter? Image

Schmidt is signed through age 34, maybe by then he'll be able to kill penalties. Because with the team's 2nd-highest cap hit, you'd expect a bit more than a guy playing #5 minutes most nights.
Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 am
Our problem is the bloated contracts to Rousel, Sutter and Louise. Once those 3 are gone (and Beagle and Ferklund are perma LTIR), we are fine.. especially when Luongo, Beartschi and Spooner fall off.
I think we're fine after this season. There's $3.3 mil in "Non-roster" cap coming off this year with Baertschi and Spooner. Next year there's $9 million with Loui and Luongo.

Next year, there's $4.375 coming off with Sutter, who is a 50% roster player. The year following is $6 mil for Roussel and Beagle coming off the books.

Plus, sad to say, but Petey's play has knocked $4-5 mil off our worst-case cap hit fears of $11+.

But guys, can we please just wrap our head around the concept that if you want improved forward depth, you need to pay more for forwards? You can't have one top-line and 9 Leivos on the ice. When those contracts go, you either have to pay up to replace them with better players, or replace them with worse waiver-wire players.

If the plan is to have Miller, Petey and Horvat line up 1-2-3 at centre, that makes replacing Sutter simple. You then have a $5.5 mil #3C, but that's fine when it's Horvat. I don't recall who first suggested that, but with a rookie top-6 winger coming up this year and next, this has a lot of appeal.

Having 2 top-6 fowards on ELCs sure is nice.
Myers is not the #2 D man here. Schmidt is. The end.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

What is Beagle's injury? Some people have said that he is done for the season and perhaps career. If he is, then that makes this signing a bit more understandable as it helps maintain some 'veteran leadership' in the team. Not saying I like this signing now, I don't, I think it is to much money but the term is okay.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:52 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:42 am

Well sure... he could then use the pinning tactics in the scrums.
......You two should
......Image
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:33 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:24 pm Had to check but Tampa’s number 6 scoring forward in 2019-2020 was Andrej palat at 41 points. He’s making 3.2m seems like a pretty decent comparable. Only difference is I don’t know if palat is playing shutdown role like tanner and bo.
Pearson was on a 27 point pace this year. He’s turning 29. He’s getting worse and slower , not better and faster. Horvat has carried this lump for two years. It isn’t a good contract... but sure compared to the shitty deals of Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson ,Beagle, Roussel, Holtby etc ad nauseum it’s just peachy.
This year everybody sucked not named demko or boeser. Not to mention Pearson’s shooting percentage was abnormally low. I wouldn’t call this season an age related decline.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 am
Let's recap - Myers is #2 for points, #2 for icetime, #2 for SHTOI, gets 17 seconds less PPTOI than Schmidt, #2 for OT TOI.

Schmidt is #3 for points, #4 (and dropping) for icetime, #3 (by 4 sec above Hamonic) for SHTOI, #2 for PPTOI, has played one shift in OT all season. Meanwhile, Hamonic is eating up Schmidt's minutes as the season goes on.

I've never heard of a team not sending out their #2 dman in overtime, must be keeping him fresh for the shootout? :lol: :lol:
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Lancer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:51 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:07 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 pm
rats19 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:42 pm Pearson will be 3rd line left wing once Pod gets comfortable in the NHL. Right about where he belongs
And 2 or 2 1/2 mill would be right
Agreed. There must be value to that young core with Pearson that we aren't privilege to

He must be...foundational
If Jimmy signed him for that it would be a GREAT contract.

But yeah this is a meh contract.
Jimmy was extolling the virtues of Pearson just the other day Doc. Said he likes the effect Pearson has on the young players on the team. That he is, you know, a good role model who demonstrates every day what it takes to be a good pro. Does all the little things well that go unnoticed. He's just a guy you win with ;)
A team can only have so many of those players. That said, look at the Sabres and how many years have the Oilers wasted because they had no one in the room to show the kids how to be a good pro?

Maybe a year more than I would have liked, but he’s a good influence in the room and is still productive.
I agree with this, the final year will have a lot of flexibility contract wise though,but if he’s playing third line minutes at that point 3.25 is still in line with third liners across the league. A real top notch poster was talking about running duos, now that pearson is locked up we can run a petey and boeser line, tanner and bo line, Miller and hoglander line. Throw podkolzin on one of those, grab a bargain bin guy like vesey (who is pretty good at 5v5 scoring and has chemistry with Miller), promote lind or give gaudette another shot or see if motte can play up the lineup. Re sign sutter for 1.5m to play fourth line center with macewen and a kid.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 am
Let's recap - Myers is #2 for points, #2 for icetime, #2 for SHTOI, gets 17 seconds less PPTOI than Schmidt, #2 for OT TOI.

Schmidt is #3 for points, #4 (and dropping) for icetime, #3 (by 4 sec above Hamonic) for SHTOI, #2 for PPTOI, has played one shift in OT all season. Meanwhile, Hamonic is eating up Schmidt's minutes as the season goes on.

I've never heard of a team not sending out their #2 dman in overtime, must be keeping him fresh for the shootout? :lol: :lol:
He does not get lot of PK time and doesn’t get a lot of PP time. He is however on the shutdown pair with Edler and along with Edler starts in his own zone a lot and they face by far the toughest competition. Myers usually plays a regular shift with Benn or Juolevi and faces weaker players. He pads his ice time on special teams. You put both Schmidt and Myers on the trading block and Schmidt returns a lot more and the Canucks wouldn’t need to retain any salary, whereas with Myers they would have to eat a decent chunk of $$ to move him.

Schmidt should be the second D man out in OT. That’s a coaching fail by Baumer imho. He’s the second best skater on the team.

Schmidt has been a bit underwhelming in his first year here but he doesn’t make the egregious errors Myers does and hasn’t really been utilized in offensive situations like he was in Vegas. I still take him 11 times out of 10 over Myers. And leading up to the shutdown, he had 6 points in 10 games I believe.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

theman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 am What is Beagle's injury? Some people have said that he is done for the season and perhaps career. If he is, then that makes this signing a bit more understandable as it helps maintain some 'veteran leadership' in the team. Not saying I like this signing now, I don't, I think it is to much money but the term is okay.
Since no one seems to have seen this post, I'll ask again.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:54 am You put both Schmidt and Myers on the trading block and Schmidt returns a lot more and the Canucks wouldn’t need to retain any salary, whereas with Myers they would have to eat a decent chunk of $$ to move him.
Well, we know Schmidt's value around the league - a 3rd round pick.

You think Myers returns less than that?

Or do you think Schmidt's play this year has improved his trade value from last off-season when he was traded?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

theman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:00 am
theman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 am What is Beagle's injury? Some people have said that he is done for the season and perhaps career. If he is, then that makes this signing a bit more understandable as it helps maintain some 'veteran leadership' in the team. Not saying I like this signing now, I don't, I think it is to much money but the term is okay.
Since no one seems to have seen this post, I'll ask again.
Nobody knows what Beagle is suffering from, but sounds like he could be gone for a lengthy amount of time, probably find out this offseason what his plans are regarding his NHL career.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.