Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:45 am It's kinda crazy how when the Canucks players get cheap shotted, injured etc, we all say nothing, but as soon as one of our players do something to injure some other player, we attack our own players with a vengeance lol. :?
No shit eh. Fuck the habs. They earned that KO by running around taking late shots at our smaller guys even after the game was way out of reach.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Some one has to sit down and have a serious conversation with Pettersson. This sulking and feeling sorry for himself has to stop right now.
That video clip of the rest of the team cheering and hopping over the bench because of a win and him sitting all dejected was pathetic.
Green says he'll get through the slump and he's not worried and that may be true but the pouting routine stinks and the coach should tell him that.
New he was an intense type player but did not see this coming. Guess hanging out with Gaudette in the offseason with the video games didn't help his disposition. Horvat says he'll be alright, no problem but I'm not sure. Didn't expect this.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:45 am It's kinda crazy how when the Canucks players get cheap shotted, injured etc, we all say nothing, but as soon as one of our players do something to injure some other player, we attack our own players with a vengeance lol. :?
What? When do we say nothing about cheapshots on our players? Pretty sure that was a going theme around here for ages. Particularly since Moore's hit on Naslund and then the decade of Sedin abuse that we got to watch.

In general we get mad at our team for being soft pussies and NOT retaliating.

But it's totally justified to call Myers a bit dumb for what he did yesterday. It was a 7-3 game with 3 minutes left. It's not the hit that most of us should care about, it's just the time of the hit. Making the decision to lay a big open ice hit in the late stages of a game where your team has been embarrassed is simply asking for a major penalty and possible suspension.

Had Myers thrown that hit at the beginning of the 3rd period, or after they had scored their 4th or even 5th goal.....then yeah. Good play. Spark the team. In Myers case he has to be extra careful on those because he's an ogre and his elbow is at the height of most opponent's chest, so he runs a greater risk of a head shot major.

For the record, last night was not a bad hit imho. It was ill-timed in the grand scope of the game. But the hit was good. Arm tucked. He tried to get lower to avoid the head. Not even totally sold on head being initial point of contact.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Pettersson should have gone back to Sweden in the off-season. To many distractions here for a small town kid who's fashion and style conscious and is up on social media, gaming, and branding. His issues right now mostly stem from off the ice IMO. It hasn't helped that they dumped and poorly handled the departure of his buddies Dahlen and Goldobin and excellent guys in the room like Markstorm, Tanev, and Stecher in just his first two years here. It was the right move not signing the Markstrom and Tanev deals but it was very poorly handled and resulted in hard feelings on the players part. That's a lot of emotional adversity for a kid let alone one adjusting to the North American cultural change. Then instead of starting the year with a guy he had great chemistry with in Toffoli, he was saddled with Virtanen who can't even make a pass let alone think the game offensively at an intermediate level since he couldn't really produce in the AHL either and who once again proved he has no business being in the top six.

Sometimes a star player goes cold and you can clearly see it's about getting a bounce here and there, they're gripping the stick and you can visually see the anguish and stress because the effort is there with limited results but he's actually looked extremely bad and uncharacteristically unemotional at times. They are dead in the water if he doesn't turn it around by this time next week. Every game is a four pointer, they've looked horrible in each loss without even squeaking in a loser point, and it's a short season so there's less runway for slumps by pivotal star players.

I really don't recall ever being as shocked and disappointed by a start to a season, they should be a way better team than this.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:42 am I really don't recall ever being as shocked and disappointed by a start to a season, they should be a way better team than this.
Not even close.

May I present Bill Laforge as exhibit A:
LaForge was 32 years old when hired to coach in the National Hockey League. LaForge was announced as the new head coach of the Vancouver Canucks for the 1984-85 NHL season, the day after the semifinal game of the 1984 Memorial Cup. Canucks general manager Harry Neale chose LaForge over Mike Keenan, believing that LaForge would motivate the often laid-back NHL team. LaForge's NHL coaching career began with a 2–5 loss to the Quebec Nordiques, then a 6–5 overtime win versus the Los Angeles Kings. Vancouver then went on a nine-game losing streak, including losses of 2–13 to the Philadelphia Flyers, 0–7 to the Edmonton Oilers, and 3–10 to the Los Angeles Kings. Frustration was evident in the loss to the Flyers which included seven fights and two brawls. LaForge lasted only twenty games into the 1984–85 Vancouver Canucks season, being fired by Neale after a 1–5 loss to the St. Louis Blues on November 20, with only four wins and two ties.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This team has to get more serious contributions from Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, Adam Gaudette and even Virtanen.
Like it or not, you have to play them more. The better players will play better if they're a wee bit more rested. Horvat and Boeser's ice times are
way too high. We're at game six. This wont keep.
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:42 am I really don't recall ever being as shocked and disappointed by a start to a season, they should be a way better team than this.
Not even close.

May I present Bill Laforge as exhibit A:
LaForge was 32 years old when hired to coach in the National Hockey League. LaForge was announced as the new head coach of the Vancouver Canucks for the 1984-85 NHL season, the day after the semifinal game of the 1984 Memorial Cup. Canucks general manager Harry Neale chose LaForge over Mike Keenan, believing that LaForge would motivate the often laid-back NHL team. LaForge's NHL coaching career began with a 2–5 loss to the Quebec Nordiques, then a 6–5 overtime win versus the Los Angeles Kings. Vancouver then went on a nine-game losing streak, including losses of 2–13 to the Philadelphia Flyers, 0–7 to the Edmonton Oilers, and 3–10 to the Los Angeles Kings. Frustration was evident in the loss to the Flyers which included seven fights and two brawls. LaForge lasted only twenty games into the 1984–85 Vancouver Canucks season, being fired by Neale after a 1–5 loss to the St. Louis Blues on November 20, with only four wins and two ties.
I didn't have anywhere near the expectations of that team as I did coming into this season. Wasn't even close actually and I'd say only 1994/95 rivals this season since they were coming off the Finals and still had Bure et al.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I sure hope Chatty hasn't hurt his shoulder again. He was hurt a lot in Utica a la Tanev and it was often his shoulders. A not very big guy getting physical and blocking shots with reckless abandon. It's a shame really...
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:52 pm I sure hope Chatty hasn't hurt his shoulder again. He was hurt a lot in Utica a la Tanev and it was often his shoulders. A not very big guy getting physical and blocking shots with reckless abandon. It's a shame really...
I know Megs. Fuck what terrible luck for the guy. Here was his golden chance just sitting there. He had looked fantastic to my red and slightly closed eyes.

Hey whats the verdict on the myers hit? Did he get away with it? I sure hope so it would make for an entertaining game tomorrow
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:09 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:52 pm I sure hope Chatty hasn't hurt his shoulder again. He was hurt a lot in Utica a la Tanev and it was often his shoulders. A not very big guy getting physical and blocking shots with reckless abandon. It's a shame really...
I know Megs. Fuck what terrible luck for the guy. Here was his golden chance just sitting there. He had looked fantastic to my red and slightly closed eyes.

Hey whats the verdict on the myers hit? Did he get away with it? I sure hope so it would make for an entertaining game tomorrow
Yeah I haven't heard anything either on Myers. I really hope he gets off.

Fireworks Saturday, the French were not impressed by this Tyler Myers fellow last night :)
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Patrick Johnston @risingaction
Rafferty was up on an emergency COVID recall so this suggests Jordie Benn has been cleared to play.
Transaction update: Brogan Rafferty has been reassigned to the taxi squad.
1:07 PM · Jan 22, 2021
Ben's not going to be in game shape for a while, though I guess there maybe no choice.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:11 pm

Fireworks Saturday, the French were not impressed by this Tyler Myers fellow last night :)
Good. Dirty twats spent 2 straight days sneering at the canucks after taking run after run after run at Hughes and Pettersson.

I hope it digresses into a fight fest. Those games are where teams bond after sticking up for each other and this team needs a watershed moment like that
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:30 pm

Good. Dirty twats spent 2 straight days sneering at the canucks after taking run after run after run at Hughes and Pettersson.

I hope it digresses into a fight fest. Those games are where teams bond after sticking up for each other and this team needs a watershed moment like that
If there's no suspension I don't think we have to worry about that Wiz.

There will be violence :twisted: :lol:
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:30 pm

FACTS
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Its no coincidence that old dooshbag Julien is behind the bench of another weasely group. They'll probably go alot farther this way but it doesnt change the fact that his teams famously run stars to gain an advantage