Pre-draft & pre-free-agent day speculation

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Pre-draft & pre-free-agent day speculation

Post by Strangelove »

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:17 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:37 pm FWIW, I read somewhere Canucks have trades in place but are waiting on Markstrom.

They need Markstrom to say yay or nay on their final offer so they can start pulling triggers.

I don't think there will be any "major" deals.

I feel Jimmy will succeed in dumping Loui and perhaps another bad contract.

I feel certain now that Jake and Stech won't be back.

Again, all this for what it's worth (not much?). :)
Where did you read that? They should put Markstrom on the clock if that's the case.
A respected poster on another site said he heard it on Canucks radio this morning.

Sorry, but like I said, "for what it's worth... not much?" :mrgreen:

But it does make total sense logically right?

And then you can put it together with what Chris Johnston said the other day:

"I don't think there's a front office in the NHL that has more balls in the air than Vancouver."

(that sentiment has been repeated by other talking heads)

Aaaaand... well who the fuck knows. :lol:

Yeah, we've gotta bug Jimmy's office or something...

EDIT: Oh and the guy said the radio guys said Markstrom IS "on the clock".

"the guy said the radio guys said" :lol: :lol: :lol: Okay that sounds ridiculous!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

dangler wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:24 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:03 pm

I disagree on Myers, all Hughes needs is a decent defensive dman, thus having big Tyler Myers defensive power on D will help Hughes do what does best and help the forwards score.

Look at it like a Brian Leetch with Jeff Beukeboom or Erik Karlsson with Marc Methot, all these type of QB dmen need is a big stable horse to hold the fort down, it ain't complicated.
Dude!!
Myers
GP G A Pim
68 6 15 49 19-20 reg season
10 0 0 24!! 19-20 playoffs 58 career in 49 playoff games

Stetcher
GP G A Pims
69 5 12 32 reg season
17 2 1 10 playoffs
The game has gotten too quick for that logic.
Hughes has a decent defensive dman in Tanev and Myers doesn't "hold the fort down".
Tanev has got to be top priority for the Canucks because they're not going to be able to get anyone better to replace him
Tanev is already in decline. He is neither a priority nor a sign at all cost player. Anything over two years is likely a mistake, maybe one year. Time to find a younger solution that can grow with this core. Hughes and Petey are this team’s priority.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 pm

I disagree on Myers, all Hughes needs is a decent defensive dman, thus having big Tyler Myers defensive power on D will help Hughes do what does best and help the forwards score.

Look at it like a Brian Leetch with Jeff Beukeboom or Erik Karlsson with Marc Methot, all these type of QB dmen need is a big stable horse to hold the fort down, it ain't complicated.
Dude!!
Myers
GP G A Pim

Stetcher
GP G A Pims
69 5 12 32 reg season
17 2 1 10 playoffs
Hughes has a decent defensive dman in Tanev and Myers doesn't "hold the fort down".
Tanev has got to be top priority for the Canucks because they're not going to be able to get anyone better to replace him
Tanev is already in decline. He is neither a priority nor a sign at all cost player. Anything over two years is likely a mistake, maybe one year. Time to find a younger solution that can grow with this core. Hughes and Petey are this team’s priority.
I agree his in decline,but he is still a priority.There is no one from within and the available RH UFA's will cost just as much if not more with no guarantees of being any better.
1 or 2 years term would be great, but maybe wishful thinking.
Save your concern for Petey & Hughes,lets focus on free agency
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Dude!!
Myers
GP G A Pim

Stetcher
GP G A Pims
69 5 12 32 reg season
17 2 1 10 playoffs
Did you see how trash our defense was when Myers went down in the playoffs?

We missed his physical presence.

Blues got better & went on a roll when Myers was injured.

Same with Vegas, Tuch got stabilized when Myers was playing, but when he was out Tuch was way more effective.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol it was a weak D with and without Myers. The bottom six were hemmed in their own zone the entire series which swung momentum big time. Myers is a decent middle pairing D man. You make him sound like the second coming of Chris Pronger. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:17 pm Lol it was a weak D with and without Myers. The bottom six were hemmed in their own zone the entire series which swung momentum big time. Myers is a decent middle pairing D man. You make him sound like the second coming of Chris Pronger. :lol:
good ol' SL yeahhhhhhhh no.

Chris Pronger? by comparing Tyler Myers to Jeff Beukeboom & Marc Methot? defensive dmen to help their QB dmen Leetch and Karlsson.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:11 pm
Did you see how trash our defense was when Myers went down in the playoffs?

We missed his physical presence.

Blues got better & went on a roll when Myers was injured.

Same with Vegas, Tuch got stabilized when Myers was playing, but when he was out Tuch was way more effective.
I agree with what you say, and Myers is a important component, and luckily he's not going anywhere.
But he's not top pairing if the Canucks want to improve their D.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:17 pm Lol it was a weak D with and without Myers. The bottom six were hemmed in their own zone the entire series which swung momentum big time. Myers is a decent middle pairing D man. You make him sound like the second coming of Chris Pronger. :lol:
Definitely the teams weakness, but a pretty good D compared to recent years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 pm
good ol' SL yeahhhhhhhh no.

Chris Pronger? by comparing Tyler Myers to Jeff Beukeboom & Marc Methot? defensive dmen to help their QB dmen Leetch and Karlsson.
Skyo the difference is that those guys knew their roles and accepted them happily, they also stuck to their roles and let their partners wheel and deal and be the offensive QBs that made their teams better.

Myers still likes to skate it up and out. He doesn’t stay home like the kind of guy you’re describing to partner with QH. Tanev does that.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:31 pm
A respected poster on another site said he heard it on Canucks radio this morning.

Sorry, but like I said, "for what it's worth... not much?" :mrgreen:

But it does make total sense logically right?

And then you can put it together with what Chris Johnston said the other day:

"I don't think there's a front office in the NHL that has more balls in the air than Vancouver."

(that sentiment has been repeated by other talking heads)

Aaaaand... well who the fuck knows. :lol:

Yeah, we've gotta bug Jimmy's office or something...

EDIT: Oh and the guy said the radio guys said Markstrom IS "on the clock".

"the guy said the radio guys said" :lol: :lol: :lol: Okay that sounds ridiculous!
All good. Anxious to see the first domino fall, it sounds like there's a few things that could drop into place immediately after. At least we don't have to feel like they're just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic anymore.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:15 pm
Skyo the difference is that those guys knew their roles and accepted them happily, they also stuck to their roles and let their partners wheel and deal and be the offensive QBs that made their teams better.

Myers still likes to skate it up and out. He doesn’t stay home like the kind of guy you’re describing to partner with QH. Tanev does that.
True and in hindsight, EDLER - MYERS have formed a big strong defensive pairing over the season.
Alex Edler and Tyler Myers are one of the best defense pairings in the NHL.

The Canucks’ top pairing has been the team’s most pleasant surprise early in the season.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.24000404
Hughes has shown he can make his d-partner play above average, it's a gift to play with such talent, just ask Luke Schenn and now Chris Tanev, these defensive dmen shouldn't be such a chore to acquire and to not overpay for as well, all Hughes needs is a big defensive shutdown dman to pay with - but not at $5M-$5.5M per, you can tack on $4M - $4.5M to that and get a top tier Pietrangelo.

Maybe that's why they are trying to trade for a more scoring type defensive dman vs Tanev to play with Hughes.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1530289

This guy on Team 1040 is suggesting going after Demelo and hometown Surrey boy Brendan Dillon. I used to think that we already had Fatenberger and J.Benn, so there was no real point to get Dillon; however, Fatenberger is prob gone and if Dillon can ease the workload of Edler and play some 1st unit PK, he could be a great pickup. Dillon would be a great guy to have around, as Edler only has 1 year left on his contract. He looks like a Willie Mitchell type, but solidly built.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Brendan Dillon is a known canuck scorner. I think he even exercised his right to veto a trade to Vancouver a few years back
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:13 pm Brendan Dillon is a known canuck scorner. I think he even exercised his right to veto a trade to Vancouver a few years back
You’re thinking of Jason Demers. I’ve heard Dillon wants to come home. He’d be a solid addition if Tanev and Stecher aren’t retained. Demelo too.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:30 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:13 pm Brendan Dillon is a known canuck scorner. I think he even exercised his right to veto a trade to Vancouver a few years back
You’re thinking of Jason Demers. I’ve heard Dillon wants to come home. He’d be a solid addition if Tanev and Stecher aren’t retained. Demelo too.
Oh yaaaaaaa.

Fuck.

The other shark dman. Oh well...Dillon can still play and would be a huge fan favorite for his physical play. If he wants to come home, them to quote the Floyd deep track classic....bring the boys back home
If you need air...call it in