Pre-draft & pre-free-agent day speculation

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Pre-draft & pre-free-agent day speculation

Post by nuckster »

It's really slow here, and I'm wondering, will Benning find a way to trade away Eriksson's salary? Is Vertanin going to be a part of that? Will we acquire a 2nd? Does Benning decide to cave to Markstrom's demands? Will Demko become our new unproven #1? Will Stetcher still be here at the opening of the new season? Will Gaudet? Lots of room for speculation here. There's what each of us would like to see happen, and there's what will actually happen - circumstances permitting.

I appreciate Benning big time, but my impression is that one of his strengths is NOT being a savvy wheeler and dealer. Though I don't want to see it, I wouldn't be surprised to see nothing done re: Eriksson, and Stetcher still being our #5 or 6. Can Benning get something out of Markstrom if he decides to walk? Or Tanev? I had the impression that they both wanted to stay. Does that mean that Toffoli, could possibly be in a hard spot? Anyways, tis all speculation. What say some of you with enquiring and maybe under-entertained minds?
cc oldtimer
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: Pre-draft & pre-free-agent day speculation

Post by nuckster »

Yeah, canuck bloggerboard masturbation.
cc oldtimer
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

There's no trading Loui's contract: I'm afraid Brother Loui has what is known in the biz as an anchor contract. Loui Eriksson will retire a Vancouver Canuck.

I think either Tanev or Stecher leaves town; I'm really hoping Tanev is the one that sticks around.

I think Demko arrived at the ideal moment and we need to go in a Cam Talbot-like direction and bring in a quality, experienced premium backup to support Thatch.

Not sure about Jakey, he'd probably be best served taking his talents elsewhere but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on a budget friendly deal.

Gaudette has proven to me he isn't an NHL center but I think Benning needs more convincing. He'll be back.

There shall not be a second incoming. Benning doesn't do that sort of thing.
el rey del mambo
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I think there will be much less action than speculated. I expect a Toffoli signing and the other UFAs going to market.

The top six will stay the same as the playoffs to start next season. MacEwen and Hoglander will push the status quo to join the bottom six.

I think the RFAs will be qualified. Benning won't want to give up much to move out cap space, and the other teams won't have much money with tight budgets to take on bad contracts, so likely Loui stays until the season starts and then either reports to Utica if the AHL happens, goes on LTIR with some surprising skin allergy, or retires.

Myers Hughes
Stecher Edler

are my expected top four to start next season while prospects fight with Benn for the bottom two slots. I don't think a back-up goalie will be signed early in Free Agency. They'll add someone decent on a one year deal later when contracts get cheaper.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I would love the league to investigate all these early reports about teams willing or preparing to offer players huge deals should they become UFA. Not just Canuck players either. Someone is purposefully leaking this info. Whether it is teams on the side or agents who have early indications or players themselves. Where there is smoke there is fire. So I'm not saying all the rumours are true but we all remember what it was like before the free interview period. One minute after FA opens dozens of players signed these lucrative and sometimes complicated deals. Will we see that again? I mean if Tanev gets his 5 year deal from Pittsburg will that be investigated?
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:58 am I think there will be much less action than speculated. I expect a Toffoli signing and the other UFAs going to market.

The top six will stay the same as the playoffs to start next season. MacEwen and Hoglander will push the status quo to join the bottom six.

I think the RFAs will be qualified. Benning won't want to give up much to move out cap space, and the other teams won't have much money with tight budgets to take on bad contracts, so likely Loui stays until the season starts and then either reports to Utica if the AHL happens, goes on LTIR with some surprising skin allergy, or retires.

Myers Hughes
Stecher Edler

are my expected top four to start next season while prospects fight with Benn for the bottom two slots. I don't think a back-up goalie will be signed early in Free Agency. They'll add someone decent on a one year deal later when contracts get cheaper.
If you're right, then Benning will have a lot of cap space to play with and a backup goalie (low priority, could even be Domingue based on Ian Clark's recommendation) and a top-4D. If he moves out but one contract, he could even have enough to go after Pietro if he's only got $2 mil spent on goalies next year.

I'm not really advocating for a Big UFA Fish, I'd much rather see the cap space used to bargain hunt when RFAs get cut loose or late-in-season UFAs, like where Tampa struck gold this past offseason.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I think Benning absolutely should be making a play for Petro....even if it means goodbye to Tanev and Markstrom. The kids showed they are ready right now, time to surround them with elite pieces like AP.

The rebuild is over, the window is open and its time to go all in.
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:15 pm I think Benning absolutely should be making a play for Petro....even if it means goodbye to Tanev and Markstrom. The kids showed they are ready right now, time to surround them with elite pieces like AP.

The rebuild is over, the window is open and its time to go all in.
I guess I agree, but I'm more looking at it like, "If Tanev and Markstrom want to go to market to maximize their money, Benning should make a play for Pietrangelo". I would probably prefer to keep Tanev and Marky, but the contracts that will work for the Canucks will not be the contracts that reflect their market value. For sure both could get much more on the open market than Benning is able to offer.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:58 am
Myers Hughes
Stecher Edler

Myers as your #1 would be a step backwards. Perhaps it will be unavoidable, but the D was proven to be the place where the Canucks need to improve the most.
I would put him & Stetcher at approximately the same caliber, and ideally they would be your 2nd & 3rd pairing RH guys
The closer the FA frenzy gets the more i'm comfortable with Markstrom going to market. With his age, injuries and probable high cost, it might be better to move on from our MVP (if necessary) than sign a long-term contract. Goal is usually such a streaky position anyways.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

FWIW, I read somewhere Canucks have trades in place but are waiting on Markstrom.

They need Markstrom to say yay or nay on their final offer so they can start pulling triggers.

I don't think there will be any "major" deals.

I feel Jimmy will succeed in dumping Loui and perhaps another bad contract.

I feel certain now that Jake and Stech won't be back.

Again, all this for what it's worth (not much?). :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

And oh yeah...

I feel like they'll resign Tanev and Toffoli to similar deals of 4 x $5M.

Markstrom?

Who knows, if he wants more money than Canucks are offering (and/or an NMC) he'll walk.

If not, great we'll have him wrapped up in a team friendly contract.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dangler wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:49 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:58 am
Myers Hughes
Stecher Edler

Myers as your #1 would be a step backwards. Perhaps it will be unavoidable, but the D was proven to be the place where the Canucks need to improve the most.

The closer the FA frenzy gets the more i'm comfortable with Markstrom going to market. With his age, injuries and probable high cost, it might be better to move on from our MVP (if necessary) than sign a long-term contract. Goal is usually such a streaky position anyways.
I disagree on Myers, all Hughes needs is a decent defensive dman, thus having big Tyler Myers defensive power on D will help Hughes do what does best and help the forwards score.

Look at it like a Brian Leetch with Jeff Beukeboom or Erik Karlsson with Marc Methot, all these type of QB dmen need is a big stable horse to hold the fort down, it ain't complicated.

Canucks might try to offer a 1 year yet for Markstrom, or contemplate a trade with Seattle to not take marky/demko and re-sign marky 3-4 years, but the longer this goes on, I can see them move on to not waste assets to Seattle protecting both netminders, those vegas type deals haven't worked out well for the trading team.

In a perfect world we could sign Tanev to a 1 year deal, then renegotiate after the x-draft. But I bet he played hurt 30%-40% of the year to get his big UFA pay day. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Toronto or in Pittsburgh with his bro on a 5 year deal.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I speculate Canucks will sign Toffoli, Tanev but let Markstrom sign elsewhere. Quite likely not resign Virtanen.

I would rather not sign Toffoli and keep Virtanen.

Also suspect they will make room to fit Tyler Motte in.
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:37 pm FWIW, I read somewhere Canucks have trades in place but are waiting on Markstrom.

They need Markstrom to say yay or nay on their final offer so they can start pulling triggers.

I don't think there will be any "major" deals.

I feel Jimmy will succeed in dumping Loui and perhaps another bad contract.

I feel certain now that Jake and Stech won't be back.

Again, all this for what it's worth (not much?). :)
Where did you read that? They should put Markstrom on the clock if that's the case.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:03 pm

I disagree on Myers, all Hughes needs is a decent defensive dman, thus having big Tyler Myers defensive power on D will help Hughes do what does best and help the forwards score.

Look at it like a Brian Leetch with Jeff Beukeboom or Erik Karlsson with Marc Methot, all these type of QB dmen need is a big stable horse to hold the fort down, it ain't complicated.
Dude!!
Myers
GP G A Pim
68 6 15 49 19-20 reg season
10 0 0 24!! 19-20 playoffs 58 career in 49 playoff games

Stetcher
GP G A Pims
69 5 12 32 reg season
17 2 1 10 playoffs
The game has gotten too quick for that logic.
Hughes has a decent defensive dman in Tanev and Myers doesn't "hold the fort down".
Tanev has got to be top priority for the Canucks because they're not going to be able to get anyone better to replace him
Last edited by dangler on Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.