Pre-draft & pre-free-agent day speculation

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Pre-draft & pre-free-agent day speculation

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:36 am
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:22 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:04 am
theman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:49 am Doug fuckin Jarvis man! Mr Information!
Doug Jarvis TSN Insider
@DougJarvis20
·
26m
Absolutely. Vancouver #Canucks want picks so I've just got a hunch on this. Sounds like Jake Virtanen could be on his way to Beantown. There were rumors a couple weeks back that they were very interested in him.
Jake to Bahston eh. Interesting
Is this guy a 'legit source'?

For what it is worth: I have heard from a reliable source that Boston wants JV. However, the Canucks are scared shitless to trade him to Boston, they fear a Neely 2.0 situation.
Lol dunno...it sure sounds real :D

I dont think we need worry about Virtanen becoming another Neely at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we just enjoyed his career year tbh.
Really? A career year?

Well, he did match Nico Hirschier's offensive totals, so its just as well, we can't afford to re-up Jake for $7 mil+! :lol:

Doyle, your thoughts?
Hischier is 21 and has averaged 53 points per 82 games over his career. Virtanen is 24 and has averaged 28 points per 82 games over his career. Virtanen’s career season matched Nico’s worst season, but Nico played 11 fewer games. Virtanen player on a high scoring team, Nico..... not so much.
Bit of a difference in ice time though;
-Nico on ice time; https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... hni01.html
-Jake on ice time: https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... aja01.html
Last edited by Mickey107 on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

For what it is worth: I have heard from a reliable source that Boston wants JV. However, the Canucks are scared shitless to trade him to Boston, they fear a Neely 2.0 situation.
I don't think the Canucks are afraid of Virtanen turning into Neely. When Neely was an 18/19 year old he was already scrapping with the big boys and that quality and desire helped shape his career and provide him the room to become the finisher he was and it's pretty clear it's not in Virtanen's DNA to be that kind of player. MacEwen has a better chance of turning into Neely 2.0 than Virtanen.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:59 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:36 am
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:22 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:04 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:49 am Doug fuckin Jarvis man! Mr Information!
Doug Jarvis TSN Insider
@DougJarvis20
·
26m
Absolutely. Vancouver #Canucks want picks so I've just got a hunch on this. Sounds like Jake Virtanen could be on his way to Beantown. There were rumors a couple weeks back that they were very interested in him.
Jake to Bahston eh. Interesting

Lol dunno...it sure sounds real :D

I dont think we need worry about Virtanen becoming another Neely at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we just enjoyed his career year tbh.
Really? A career year?

Well, he did match Nico Hirschier's offensive totals, so its just as well, we can't afford to re-up Jake for $7 mil+! :lol:

Doyle, your thoughts?
Hischier is 21 and has averaged 53 points per 82 games over his career. Virtanen is 24 and has averaged 28 points per 82 games over his career. Virtanen’s career season matched Nico’s worst season, but Nico played 11 fewer games. Virtanen player on a high scoring team, Nico..... not so much.
Bit of a difference in ice time though;
-Nico on ice time; https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... hni01.html
-Jake on ice time: https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... aja01.html
This just in: ‘better players get to play more minutes’. Hischier is outpacing Virtanen almost 2-1 in ppg. He doesn’t play twice as much. They are not comparable players at all.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Virtanen will do just fine. ..On another team. He's never going to grow up here. What a waste. Skills are there.
Skating, shooting, hitting, can even make good passes when he's thinking. If he could keep his mind in the game, he could have been a top six.
Change of scenery is what he needs. Too bad we can't cash in much. A second rounder?
Last edited by Mickey107 on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:20 am

This just in: ‘better players get to play more minutes’. Hischier is outpacing Virtanen almost 2-1 in ppg. He doesn’t play twice as much. They are not comparable players at all.
Only 38% more ice time, though PP ice time is about 3-1.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a single forward in the NHL who gets as much PP icetime as Hischier but fewer points. Maybe Doyle's other favourite, Tyler Bertuzzi?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:03 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:20 am

Only 38% more ice time, though PP ice time is about 3-1.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a single forward in the NHL who gets as much PP icetime as Hischier but fewer points. Maybe Doyle's other favourite, Tyler Bertuzzi?
Lol my favourites.... I thought Ryane Clowe and Tom
Sestito were my favourites.

I’m no no huge fan of Nico but he’s not a bad player for a 21 year old kid playing on a garbage fire of a hockey team.

You were the guy who said Frank Corrado was easily as good as Tyler Bertuzzi. Now that shit was fucking funny. :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle loved Ryan Clowe
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:30 pm Doyle loved Ryan Clowe
Right.... and Tom Sestito too :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Regarding Buffalo rumours of Eichel for Lafrenierre. Apparently Lafrenierre isn’t considered an “elite” Level player like Eichel. I tend to agree
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Russian goalie - Askarov could go higher than anticipated
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:49 pm Regarding Buffalo rumours of Eichel for Lafrenierre. Apparently Lafrenierre isn’t considered an “elite” Level player like Eichel. I tend to agree
Lafreniere is definitely an elite level player, but he isn’t a centre. He alone wouldn’t be enough for Eichel due to position alone. Centre >> winger all day when their skill levels are similar.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Drysdale at 4th? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:54 pm Drysdale at 4th? :mex:
1. Lafrenierre
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond
6. Perfetti
7. Rossi
8. Askarov
9. Sanderson
10. Quinn
11. Holtz
12. Lundell
13. Guhle
14. Schneider
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:13 am
Micky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:39 am
Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun
The Canucks, I'm told this morning, are hanging in there on the OEL trade front. But still not clear if it will lead to the finish line. No question I think the Coyotes would prefer OEL expand his list of teams instead.
7:40 AM · Oct 3, 2020
Let's not gut the team.
Absolutely no 20/21 Ist round pick.
It only means Jimmy has Billy Armstrong by the hips and hes not liking it at all. Obviously we've tabled our final offer and its up to OEL how deep he lets Jimmy dig around in Billys dumpster
If that’s the case, I hope he put a time limit on that final offer, like in the next hour. We need some “we couldn’t reach an agreement” news to relax. I would also like a Canuck friendly Toffoli signing to feel good, and a very short term Tanev signing to feel great. Then Benning can kick back until FA Frenzy and sign that old NY goalie. Maybe move Stecher out for a pick, but keep Jake around for shit and giggles. Can we start a save Shotgun Jake club?
Well since no one seemed to join my “save Shotgun Jake club”, I’d just like to congratulate Jake on getting his qualifying offer.
Yipeeeeee!

Next step is for Big Tuna to agree to a contract and then hang on without getting traded until training camp...baby steps, but I’m confident with all his club member support, all one of us, we’ll get there.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:24 pm Well since no one seemed to join my “save Shotgun Jake club”, I’d just like to congratulate Jake on getting his qualifying offer.
Yipeeeeee!

Next step is for Big Tuna to agree to a contract and then hang on without getting traded until training camp...baby steps, but I’m confident with all his club member support, all one of us, we’ll get there.
I've been against re-signing Toffoli all along. Worked out fine as a rental though.

I'd like to give Jake a full season in the top 6, either he explodes or fizzles.

But if he's included in an OEL trade I won't cry.
____
Try to focus on someday.