2020 NHL OFFSEASON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2020 NHL OFFSEASON

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Andreas Athanasiou's agent Darren Ferris was on local sports radio Friday and he says he's talked to the Canucks about his client but "right now I think they're focused on a defenseman."

https://twitter.com/TSN1040/status/1317 ... 55329?s=20

I'm guessing this is someone in the bargain bin.
el rey del mambo
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

It really depends on the price to get rid of Loui’s contract (if anyone will even take it) that determines if Hoffman is worthwhile. When the spot you are trying to fill is next to Petey and Miller you probably already have enough play drivers on that line that you can afford an unproven Anson Carter or Alex Burrows type. Assuming Green drops Boeser down to Bo’s line to create two scoring lines, I think it is more appealing to experiment with Virtanen, MacEwen, Lind or a bargain basement pick-up than spend important picks and prospects to move on from Loui’s contract. Petey, Miller and anyone is probably better than 90% of the lines in the NHL. If Hoffman comes on a cheap one-year deal to pad his stats that would be great, or if they can move one of the bad contracts cheaply (unlikely) to sign him, that would be great, too; but otherwise experiment with what is already on the team or can be gotten from the bargain basement bin of free agency. Podkolzin and his ELC is just around the corner.
We are all Jim Benning.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 am It really depends on the price to get rid of Loui’s contract (if anyone will even take it) that determines if Hoffman is worthwhile. When the spot you are trying to fill is next to Petey and Miller you probably already have enough play drivers on that line that you can afford an unproven Anson Carter or Alex Burrows type. Assuming Green drops Boeser down to Bo’s line to create two scoring lines, I think it is more appealing to experiment with Virtanen, MacEwen, Lind or a bargain basement pick-up than spend important picks and prospects to move on from Loui’s contract. Petey, Miller and anyone is probably better than 90% of the lines in the NHL. If Hoffman comes on a cheap one-year deal to pad his stats that would be great, or if they can move one of the bad contracts cheaply (unlikely) to sign him, that would be great, too; but otherwise experiment with what is already on the team or can be gotten from the bargain basement bin of free agency. Podkolzin and his ELC is just around the corner.
Was thinking the same, I just believe the cost to move on from Loui would be too high. In addition, if the Canucks were going to pay that price to move his contract I would much rather them used the cap savings and bring in another quality D man.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:56 pm I'd like to leave the Hoff alone. He is rumored not to be budging from a $5.5 to 6.5 asking price, this for what scouts have described as a 'calorie free' goal scorer. I'm really hoping Jim can continue on with the good, prudent work he has done this off season and continue to bargain hunt.

Players must go! Bargains galore! :)
This

Totally agree, Meg
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Yeah not a big fan of adding Hoffman. He's an offense first guy and they don't need that type of player who's here for a year to pad his stats looking for his next big contract elsewhere. If they're adding another forward, I'd look at the speed demon Grabner. He's good on the PK and with Hughes and Schmidt springing him loose with their passing ability, he's likely to chip in offensively or at least open up space for others to capitalize on.

If they free up the cap as the Hoffman rumours suggest, they're better off using it on another RHD like Hamonic and Grabner for almost the combined cost of what Hoffman would look for. The Canucks are going to have one of the top power plays in the league and if they were to add those two or similar players, the PK could be up there too.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Micheal Ferland’s Canucks future is up in the air
Patrick Johnston / The Province;
Publishing date:Oct 20, 2020

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... in-the-air ..4 min. read.
Micheal Ferland does hope to play hockey again. You can understand why: It’s what he loves most to do and no one wants to see their career end on anything but their own terms.

But, quite simply, those in his camp are both hopeful and realistic, his agent Jason Davidson admits.

“His health is the priority,” Davidson said about what he and Ferland are thinking of when looking ahead to training camp for the 2020-21 National Hockey League season, whenever that begins.
While team and agent both say a discussion is pending on how the abrasive winger’s brain health will affect his future in hockey, looking at Benning’s roster moves so far this off-season suggest that the decision on Ferland’s roster status for 2020-21 may have already been made.
"evolution"