2020 NHL OFFSEASON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020 NHL OFFSEASON

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Andreas Athanasiou's agent Darren Ferris was on local sports radio Friday and he says he's talked to the Canucks about his client but "right now I think they're focused on a defenseman."

https://twitter.com/TSN1040/status/1317 ... 55329?s=20

I'm guessing this is someone in the bargain bin.
el rey del mambo
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

It really depends on the price to get rid of Loui’s contract (if anyone will even take it) that determines if Hoffman is worthwhile. When the spot you are trying to fill is next to Petey and Miller you probably already have enough play drivers on that line that you can afford an unproven Anson Carter or Alex Burrows type. Assuming Green drops Boeser down to Bo’s line to create two scoring lines, I think it is more appealing to experiment with Virtanen, MacEwen, Lind or a bargain basement pick-up than spend important picks and prospects to move on from Loui’s contract. Petey, Miller and anyone is probably better than 90% of the lines in the NHL. If Hoffman comes on a cheap one-year deal to pad his stats that would be great, or if they can move one of the bad contracts cheaply (unlikely) to sign him, that would be great, too; but otherwise experiment with what is already on the team or can be gotten from the bargain basement bin of free agency. Podkolzin and his ELC is just around the corner.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 am It really depends on the price to get rid of Loui’s contract (if anyone will even take it) that determines if Hoffman is worthwhile. When the spot you are trying to fill is next to Petey and Miller you probably already have enough play drivers on that line that you can afford an unproven Anson Carter or Alex Burrows type. Assuming Green drops Boeser down to Bo’s line to create two scoring lines, I think it is more appealing to experiment with Virtanen, MacEwen, Lind or a bargain basement pick-up than spend important picks and prospects to move on from Loui’s contract. Petey, Miller and anyone is probably better than 90% of the lines in the NHL. If Hoffman comes on a cheap one-year deal to pad his stats that would be great, or if they can move one of the bad contracts cheaply (unlikely) to sign him, that would be great, too; but otherwise experiment with what is already on the team or can be gotten from the bargain basement bin of free agency. Podkolzin and his ELC is just around the corner.
Was thinking the same, I just believe the cost to move on from Loui would be too high. In addition, if the Canucks were going to pay that price to move his contract I would much rather them used the cap savings and bring in another quality D man.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:56 pm I'd like to leave the Hoff alone. He is rumored not to be budging from a $5.5 to 6.5 asking price, this for what scouts have described as a 'calorie free' goal scorer. I'm really hoping Jim can continue on with the good, prudent work he has done this off season and continue to bargain hunt.

Players must go! Bargains galore! :)
This

Totally agree, Meg
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Yeah not a big fan of adding Hoffman. He's an offense first guy and they don't need that type of player who's here for a year to pad his stats looking for his next big contract elsewhere. If they're adding another forward, I'd look at the speed demon Grabner. He's good on the PK and with Hughes and Schmidt springing him loose with their passing ability, he's likely to chip in offensively or at least open up space for others to capitalize on.

If they free up the cap as the Hoffman rumours suggest, they're better off using it on another RHD like Hamonic and Grabner for almost the combined cost of what Hoffman would look for. The Canucks are going to have one of the top power plays in the league and if they were to add those two or similar players, the PK could be up there too.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Micheal Ferland’s Canucks future is up in the air
Patrick Johnston / The Province;
Publishing date:Oct 20, 2020

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... in-the-air ..4 min. read.
Micheal Ferland does hope to play hockey again. You can understand why: It’s what he loves most to do and no one wants to see their career end on anything but their own terms.

But, quite simply, those in his camp are both hopeful and realistic, his agent Jason Davidson admits.

“His health is the priority,” Davidson said about what he and Ferland are thinking of when looking ahead to training camp for the 2020-21 National Hockey League season, whenever that begins.
While team and agent both say a discussion is pending on how the abrasive winger’s brain health will affect his future in hockey, looking at Benning’s roster moves so far this off-season suggest that the decision on Ferland’s roster status for 2020-21 may have already been made.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If Benning signs another defensemen this off-season it is likely for one year and less than 1.075m. I don’t think it’s a good idea. Now let’s say he gets Hamonic at that cheap price. His signing would be blocking the progress of the Canucks’ current prospects. This would be okay this season, but would really put pressure on the team next season. Green will often defer to experience. With that signing his top six would likely be:

Myers Hughes
Schmidt Edler
Hamonic Benn

With prospects getting limited time as injury replacements, or replacements for poor play.
At the end of the season the Canucks would lose control of UFAs Edler, Hamonic, and Benn.
Those players might want to walk or the Canucks might want to move on from them. There is no guarantee they would be resigned. The Canucks will be signing Hughes, Petey, and Demko. They won’t have cash to sign the best UFAs, and Seattle will be in the league diluting the cheap UFA talent further.
The season after next, the Canucks could suddenly be in a position where three of their prospects are the best options for their starting six, and one of those three is forced into a top four position with very little experience.
Right now the Canucks have one defensive position open in the top six, and Edler and Benn are still around.
I hope Benning is thinking it is best to use that slot for current defensive prospects to gain experience before Edler and Benn potentially leave. If he is, then we shouldn’t expect anymore UFA defensemen signings this off-season. I’m not sure if Green will like being forced to play an inexperienced prospect on defence this coming season, but Benning should feel it is the best thing for the club long term. It is something Green should get used to because the season after next could include a plethora of prospects joining the team. Signing UFAs to plug holes might not be an effective strategy for the next few years since the Canucks have so many good young players to resign.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Theyll add a veteran dman for sure, maybe 2. Injuries are inevitable and they wont throw these kiddies into the fire like that.
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I get what you are saying CP, I for one, would like a Harmonic type player signing at a reasonable rate. You need to count for injuries and with what has to be a very condensed schedule, I figure there could be a lot. personally, I would have Benn as the 6/7 rotating with a ELC (Joulevi/Rathbone) player.

That being said, I am very bad for accounting for LHD / RHD so now sure which side these guys play.

Plus, I figure after this season Edler will re-sign (after the expansion draft) at a team friendly 1/2 year for around 3 mil per type of contract.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

theman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:30 am
Plus, I figure after this season Edler will re-sign (after the expansion draft) at a team friendly 1/2 year for around 3 mil per type of contract.
I like that thought, but IMO Edler is still playing like a very good Dman - I'd say he's worth at least 4.5-5 if its a 1-2 year deal.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

ESQ wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:32 am
I like that thought, but IMO Edler is still playing like a very good Dman - I'd say he's worth at least 4.5-5 if its a 1-2 year deal.
This is where a 'home town discount + flat cap' comes in, IMO. Would think it would be around 3.5 mil (why I said around) per year.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:18 am ’m not sure if Green will like being forced to play an inexperienced prospect on defence this coming season, but Benning should feel it is the best thing for the club long term. It is something Green should get used to because the season after next could include a plethora of prospects joining the team. Signing UFAs to plug holes might not be an effective strategy for the next few years since the Canucks have so many good young players to resign.
+1

We have had a great run the past 5 years in the draft. Now is the time to get some of them in the lineup, and determine who is going to be an NHL player, and who are the also-rans, especially on defense. The kids need to play, so I have absolutely no problem playing 2 rookies as our #5/6 de-men. Hell, we have a solid 6 kids on defense that we need to cycle through the big leagues.

As an aside, Greener should be expecting to have at leas 3 rookies a year in the lineup just due to turnover of players. Not everyone can be a veteran.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

ESQ wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:32 am
If Edler wants to finish his career as a Canuck, he will need to start taking Chara type contracts, basically near league minimum, or whatever the club has left after everyone else is signed. If he is still worth 4.5-5m, he won’t be getting it from the Canucks. They don’t have the cap space. He might as well start shopping for condos in Calgary right now while their market is depressed.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

theman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:30 am I get what you are saying CP, I for one, would like a Harmonic type player signing at a reasonable rate. You need to count for injuries and with what has to be a very condensed schedule, I figure there could be a lot. personally, I would have Benn as the 6/7 rotating with a ELC (Joulevi/Rathbone) player.

That being said, I am very bad for accounting for LHD / RHD so now sure which side these guys play.

While there may be more injuries, there will also be fewer games this season. If only one spot with limited minutes on the bottom six is being shared between Benn, Juolevi and Rathbone. Those prospects are not getting much of an opportunity, and likely no other prospect will be needed to fill in when there are injuries, as they will already be eight deep in a shortened season. If another UFA isn’t signed, Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield, Sautner, and maybe Woo could get a chance to fill in if there are injuries. This experience could be beneficial for the club the season after next when UFAs on defence may leave.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:18 am If Benning signs another defensemen this off-season it is likely for one year and less than 1.075m. I don’t think it’s a good idea. Now let’s say he gets Hamonic at that cheap price. His signing would be blocking the progress of the Canucks’ current prospects. This would be okay this season, but would really put pressure on the team next season. Green will often defer to experience. With that signing his top six would likely be:

Myers Hughes
Schmidt Edler
Hamonic Benn

With prospects getting limited time as injury replacements, or replacements for poor play.
At the end of the season the Canucks would lose control of UFAs Edler, Hamonic, and Benn.
Those players might want to walk or the Canucks might want to move on from them. There is no guarantee they would be resigned. The Canucks will be signing Hughes, Petey, and Demko. They won’t have cash to sign the best UFAs, and Seattle will be in the league diluting the cheap UFA talent further.
The season after next, the Canucks could suddenly be in a position where three of their prospects are the best options for their starting six, and one of those three is forced into a top four position with very little experience.
Right now the Canucks have one defensive position open in the top six, and Edler and Benn are still around.
I hope Benning is thinking it is best to use that slot for current defensive prospects to gain experience before Edler and Benn potentially leave. If he is, then we shouldn’t expect anymore UFA defensemen signings this off-season. I’m not sure if Green will like being forced to play an inexperienced prospect on defence this coming season, but Benning should feel it is the best thing for the club long term. It is something Green should get used to because the season after next could include a plethora of prospects joining the team. Signing UFAs to plug holes might not be an effective strategy for the next few years since the Canucks have so many good young players to resign.
-1. The team would be one injury away from Benn in the top 4 and two injuries away from one of the not so elite prospects playing in the top 4.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”