Goalies moving forward.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What goalie situation is more palatable to you?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Signing Markstrom if it means losing Demko to a trade or expansion draft within a year.
22%
Not signing Markstrom if it means keeping Demko as the starter moving forward with a cheaper UFA backup.
78%

Total votes: 23

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Re: Goalies moving forward.

Post by The Brown Wizard »

So who will be the starter next year? What is the latest?

If I could re-vote I'd change mine to Demko. Marky is a sacrificial asset unfortunately we can afford to lose. Laurent Broissot is a surrey boy i think....hes had decent games against us. Possible affordable back up option

Marky was awesome for the Canucks but if he wants to get the big cheques he will have to move himself out
Ah fuck this place cracks me up
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Markstrom's contract wound up expiring right at the moment Demko signaled his arrival as the long term starter.

Master planning by Benning who has to be regarded as some kind of genius at this point.
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:14 pm Benning has to be regarded as some kind of genius at this point.
Interesting. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:06 pm So who will be the starter next year? What is the latest?

If I could re-vote I'd change mine to Demko. Marky is a sacrificial asset unfortunately we can afford to lose. Laurent Broissot is a surrey boy i think....hes had decent games against us. Possible affordable back up option

Marky was awesome for the Canucks but if he wants to get the big cheques he will have to move himself out
There still is a chance the market wont bear his deserved contract and he signs a shorty here until the market recovers.
Lowered expectations
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

dangler wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:34 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:06 pm So who will be the starter next year? What is the latest?

There still is a chance the market wont bear his deserved contract and he signs a shorty here until the market recovers.
There’s actually no chance of this. If he gets to market he’s gone..... full stop
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Benning should make a final offer to Marky soon and if not accepted then trade his rights to someone who wants to negotiate with Marky back east. It may get a draft pick and it let’s all the other UFAs and RFAs know it is time to sign what’s offered or they’re choosing to move to another club. Time’s short and there is no more time to negotiate.
We are all Jim Benning.
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:16 pm
dangler wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:34 pm

There’s actually no chance of this. If he gets to market he’s gone..... full stop
Doyles magic crystal ball sees all
Lowered expectations
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Just common sense. There’s a lot of teams that would love Markstrom as their number 1 and could guarantee him a NMC. But hey ... you do you.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:50 pm Benning should make a final offer to Marky soon and if not accepted then trade his rights to someone who wants to negotiate with Marky back east. It may get a draft pick and it let’s all the other UFAs and RFAs know it is time to sign what’s offered or they’re choosing to move to another club. Time’s short and there is no more time to negotiate.
This is a real good tactic to get the players to turn on management.

Yes, time is short, but the players what to play. They know we can win here, and they have to decide what they want.

Does any fan really think that JB isn’t working the phones for trades, and talking to the agents and players to get some contracts signed?!? Just because is isn’t happing RIGHT NOW doesn’t mean the media and fan base needs to panic. Y’all need to have some edibles or some shit. Chill out for a couple weeks.

I for one like that he is taking his time, figuring out the market, and actually THINKING about the moves he is making for the future.. planning ahead. Too many media and arm chair GM’s have already made 15 knee jerk reaction moves that make the team worse.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 pm Just common sense. There’s a lot of teams that would love Markstrom as their number 1 and could guarantee him a NMC. But hey ... you do you.
Sure there's alot of teams that would love Markstrom, but guess what? There's a flat cap and a definite probability that there will be no gate revenues next season.
Changes EVERYTHING
Lowered expectations
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

It doesn’t change the fact that another team would absolutely give him a NMC. Why wouldn’t a freak like the Flames for instance give him one? They don’t have a goalie worth protecting. Ditto for Detroit or Chicago or Carolina for that matter.
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

Well i guess it would depend on how bad he wants to win , stay in Van. & the available cap space for said teams.
You could be right, but all i'm saying is there's a chance the Canucks would get the opportunity to match any offer.
I like the fact Jimbro isn't rushing into this & is waiting to see what the real actual market is.
It would be a shame to lose him, but the Canucks (and alot of other teams) are on a narrow road moving forward with upcoming contracts that will need to be signed next season as well.
Lowered expectations
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

dangler wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:04 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 pm Just common sense. There’s a lot of teams that would love Markstrom as their number 1 and could guarantee him a NMC. But hey ... you do you.
Sure there's alot of teams that would love Markstrom, but guess what? There's a flat cap and a definite probability that there will be no gate revenues next season.
Changes EVERYTHING
Bingo - you nailed it. In a normal "market" many teams would bid on Markstrom. But the NHL cannot operate profitably unless cross border travel and fans are allowed in the stands. I think there is a chance that many teams will put their chequebooks away at the start of free agency. If you were an owner would you give a free agent a huge signing bonus not knowing if you were going to make any revenue this year? Worst time in history to be a free agent or an RFA; it's a buyers market. There is a good chance that Marky will not get the offers he might have in the past.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Zedlee wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:19 am
dangler wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:04 am
Changes EVERYTHING
Bingo - you nailed it. In a normal "market" many teams would bid on Markstrom. But the NHL cannot operate profitably unless cross border travel and fans are allowed in the stands. I think there is a chance that many teams will put their chequebooks away at the start of free agency. If you were an owner would you give a free agent a huge signing bonus not knowing if you were going to make any revenue this year? Worst time in history to be a free agent or an RFA; it's a buyers market. There is a good chance that Marky will not get the offers he might have in the past.
Obviously Markstrom and other UFA will not get the money and term that they would have gotten in a normal off season. Or the amount of teams bidding on these players. But make no mistake if Jacob goes to market he will get a full NMC if he desires one. He’s a top 10 goalie in the league.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Yes, exactly. One reason why I think the Canucks have a good shot at bringing back Taffoli, Tanev and Markstrom. this a very weird situation for everyone and a horrible time to be a RFA, UFA. Doubt a lot of guys will get that payday they were hoping for and can see a lot of guys signing 1 year deals hoping that next off season will be better for them.