Goalies moving forward.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What goalie situation is more palatable to you?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Signing Markstrom if it means losing Demko to a trade or expansion draft within a year.
22%
Not signing Markstrom if it means keeping Demko as the starter moving forward with a cheaper UFA backup.
78%

Total votes: 23

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Goalies moving forward.

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they sign Markstrom, he will be asking for expansion draft protection, and Demko will either be traded or exposed in the expansion draft. If Demko is traded some assets will be coming back, but we could also be looking back at the next Tuukka Rask deal gone bad in a few years. If Markstrom isn’t signed, it frees up cap space to sign other UFAs. There are other possibilities such as making a deal with Seattle to leave the goalies alone, but these deals have there own unknown costs. As well, at some point Demko may demand the starter’s role.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Goalies moving forward.

Post by Richardstroker69 »

I think we can play hardball with marky and get him in under 6 million as long as he has some trade protection and Seattle protection and 5yrs term. I’d much rather trade demko for some decent assets (package for a top 4 rhd). I think Dominguez could be backup for marky (remember Ian Clarke really likes him), or we could grab a different backup. I think it’ll all come down to who Ian Clarke says to go with though.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I already hate seattle for putting us in this predicament.

Marky has shown us he can play for a full season at a high level, and although it's extremely likely Demko can as well, it's still an 'unknown'. We have glaring holes that still need to be filled, so we can't really afford to keep two #1s on the roster. If Benning can get a great return (young top 4 Dman) on Demigod, he needs to pull the trigger.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Markstrom wants to stay in Vancouver.
Can't they sign him to a 1 year deal ( 1x 6M ) avoiding the expansion draft problem?
Protect Demko and resign Marky after the expansion draft.
Similar to the Edler contract situation last year, no?
I wouldn't be handing Demko the reigns after 3 great games
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Bye bye Markstrom.
el rey del mambo
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:47 pm Markstrom wants to stay in Vancouver.
Can't they sign him to a 1 year deal ( 1x 6M ) avoiding the expansion draft problem?
His agent will never let that happen, he’s had injuries and you don’t risk that.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

If there was already a GM of a rebuilding team lusting after Demko

... well he's horny as hell for him after that postseason display baby!

And it's a rebuilding team, so they have the cap-room to take on a bad contract or two.

And cap-room is what we need.

When you consider Loui is only owed $4M in real bucks total for 2 years (after escrow)

... I think we can get a 2nd rounder back on a Demko+Loui package.

But what if Jimmy already knows Loui will mutually terminate?

In that case, Beags/Rooster + Baer + Demko for ??

(for a 7th?) :)

Sign Domingue for 2 years at $1M-per.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:57 pm
dangler wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:47 pm Markstrom wants to stay in Vancouver.
His agent will never let that happen, he’s had injuries and you don’t risk that.
That's right, this is Markstrom's big chance to cash in.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Khudobin and Talbot are UFA. Either of them might make a nice short term tandem with Demko here.

Markstrom is going to want to cash in, it's his last chance so it's going to be tough to fit him in imo.
el rey del mambo
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The Canucks haven’t really given the reigns to any of the goalies they have drafted and developed. The closest were probably Cory Schneider and Glen Hanlon, but they were always second fiddle to Luongo and King Richard until the Canucks traded them away where they became clear number ones on other teams. It sure would be nice to see Demko become a number one with the team that drafted him and play most of his career for the Canucks. It’d be a first.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

One year $6M dollar deal for Markstrom, if he wants term, then adios muchachos amigos.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Before the playoffs I was all for signing Markstrom to a 4-5 year deal for 5-6 million per, or thereabouts. I was all for trading Demko as high as you could and as Doc suggested using it also as leverage to unload a contract or two. Can we trade Luongo's cap recapture?

But now I don't know. In a perfect world Markstrom takes a one year deal so we don't have a problem with expansion. But I don't think he is one of the players contemplating such a deal. I know Tanev and Tofolli are but not Markstrom.

So now, I dunno. The way Demko played I don't want to let him go. The age difference is the big factor here for me, nothing else. Im not sold that Dipietro will be a great NHL goalie, maybe a decent back up.

I suppose if Benning could get a low first or high second plus a prospect plus dump a contract but I'm not as sold on Markstrom over the next 4-5 years as I am on Demko for the next 6-8 years.
The only HW the Canucks need
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:47 pm Before the playoffs I was all for signing Markstrom to a 4-5 year deal for 5-6 million per, or thereabouts. I was all for trading Demko as high as you could and as Doc suggested using it also as leverage to unload a contract or two. Can we trade Luongo's cap recapture?

But now I don't know. In a perfect world Markstrom takes a one year deal so we don't have a problem with expansion. But I don't think he is one of the players contemplating such a deal. I know Tanev and Tofolli are but not Markstrom.

So now, I dunno. The way Demko played I don't want to let him go. The age difference is the big factor here for me, nothing else. Im not sold that Dipietro will be a great NHL goalie, maybe a decent back up.

I suppose if Benning could get a low first or high second plus a prospect plus dump a contract but I'm not as sold on Markstrom over the next 4-5 years as I am on Demko for the next 6-8 years.
All valid points, the one thing that gives me faith is Ian Clarke is gonna be heavily involved in this decision.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Not sure I get all the comparisons to this being like Toronto trading away Rask.....

Rask has never won a Cup as the starter.

I have a few friends who are diehard Bruins fans and they think Rask is an average starter behind very good defensive team.

What Demko showed us over the past 3 games is far more impressive than anything I've seen Rask do.

I think you go with Demko because of his age.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:47 pm Before the playoffs I was all for signing Markstrom to a 4-5 year deal for 5-6 million per, or thereabouts. I was all for trading Demko as high as you could and as Doc suggested using it also as leverage to unload a contract or two. Can we trade Luongo's cap recapture?

I'm very surprised to hear that Toffoli is contemplating a 1 year deal here after such a short time with the team. I'm gonna let my bias assume that he sees great potential in our core and wants to be a part of it rather than that he just doesn't want to move and then move again. :P