Goalies moving forward.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What goalie situation is more palatable to you?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Signing Markstrom if it means losing Demko to a trade or expansion draft within a year.
22%
Not signing Markstrom if it means keeping Demko as the starter moving forward with a cheaper UFA backup.
78%

Total votes: 23

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Goalies moving forward.

Post by ESQ »

Per wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 am Not sure if this is crazy.

With Lundquist being bought out, he is basically already being paid for the 20/21 season and could be willing to sign for pennies on the dollar.

This is a guy who has been one of the best goalies in the world for the past fifteen years.

If we go the route of trading Markström, wouldn't this be a good mentor/backup for the Demigod?

It's not like he's suddenly crap. Just that NYR has two goalies that are younger, cheaper and at least as good.
Henrik still started 30 games the past season. He's 38, but hey, goalies are like wine... :look:

Think he'd be willing to sign for say 2x4 million?

Just thinking out loud here. :mex:
You don't think he's going to insist on a full NMC?

The only benefit to signing Lundqvist is he might go one-year, and avoid the expansion draft problem.

Unless he agrees to be exposed only, in which case sign me up.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Agree, why we would sign Lundquist for more than a year? He is also 38 and his best years are behind him, I am not against signing him for to be a 1A and mentor for Demko but I would only do it for a year.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Forget about Lundquist. He's a New Yorker now with a family and has made millions. No way he is coming to the West coast and enduring all the travel for an low % chance at a cup. If he signs anywhere it will be on the East coast.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

theman wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:09 am Agree, why we would sign Lundquist for more than a year? He is also 38 and his best years are behind him, I am not against signing him for to be a 1A and mentor for Demko but I would only do it for a year.
We do need to expose an NHL goalie in the X draft, and I don't know if Domingue would re sign for 2 years in the AHL just to be exposed. But if Henrik wants expansion protection, forget it.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:55 am
Per wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 am Not sure if this is crazy.

With Lundquist being bought out, he is basically already being paid for the 20/21 season and could be willing to sign for pennies on the dollar.

This is a guy who has been one of the best goalies in the world for the past fifteen years.

If we go the route of trading Markström, wouldn't this be a good mentor/backup for the Demigod?

It's not like he's suddenly crap. Just that NYR has two goalies that are younger, cheaper and at least as good.
Henrik still started 30 games the past season. He's 38, but hey, goalies are like wine... :look:

Think he'd be willing to sign for say 2x4 million?

Just thinking out loud here. :mex:
You don't think he's going to insist on a full NMC?

The only benefit to signing Lundqvist is he might go one-year, and avoid the expansion draft problem.

Unless he agrees to be exposed only, in which case sign me up.
Yeah just like Markus Naslund, he went to the NYR for a year, now it's Lundqvist's turn to play in Vancouver for year aha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I’m pretty sure you can expose a UFA that played for the team that year.
Lundquist at 38, if signed, would be a year-by-year contract.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 pm I’m pretty sure you can expose a UFA that played for the team that year.
Lundquist at 38, if signed, would be a year-by-year contract.
I don't think that's right, you can expose an RFA so long as he's been qualified, but UFAs don't count.

Though I had thought there was an NHL games-played requirement for the exposed goalie, turns out I seem to be wrong about that:
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.
There is an NHL games-played requirement for forwards and d-men , but not for goalies apparently.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Is there rumblings about Lungtwist signing here?
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:54 pm Is there rumblings about Lungtwist signing here?
He likes petey
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:56 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:54 pm Is there rumblings about Lungtwist signing here?
He likes petey
Everyone likes Petey.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

He likes petey
If Marky walks and he is willing to sign for a year i suppose it would work. Has his game deteriorated bad or is there still some wins left in those old knees?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:59 pm
He likes petey
If Marky walks and he is willing to sign for a year i suppose it would work. Has his game deteriorated bad or is there still some wins left in those old knees?
He would be a very good fit in a 1A/1B role with Demko. I'd even sign him for two years, but no expansion draft protection, if he wanted the added financial guarantee.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

He likes petey
Hey Wooly Socks where do you live again? Nunavit?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:36 pm
He likes petey
I live in bumfuck nowhere Alberta
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:40 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:36 pm
He likes petey
I live in bumfuck nowhere Alberta
Can you score hookers and a flap there?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau