R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
2Fingers
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5536
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 am

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by 2Fingers »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:19 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32 pm If anyone missed Gord Miller's tweet about some Canucks fans owing Jim Benning an apology after game 2 the reaction was great fun
Gord Miller
@GMillerTSN
Just keep doing what they’re doing. That’s a good young team that is only going to get better. I think some Canucks fans owe Jim Benning an apology.

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1 ... 44323?s=20
LOL, these "fans" don't like the taste of crow. Instead of enjoying this team, they're like... "but, but, but, next year the cap... blah blah blah".

Good ol' JD Burke still trying to spin his narrative. If you can't admit you're wrong dude, go spread your negative bullshit by cheering for another team. What a fucking wanker.
Do you see ChrisKFilms post? Along the same lines as what you see at HF.
User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2100
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:10 pm
size & girth around your star.
Um, are we still doing "phrasing"? Just asking for a friend.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2100
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:51 am We need to win Friday, just to get the extra day, perhaps 2, off. We are getting banged up, and could use some of the boys to get healthy.

It would be nice to go into the next round with Myers, Toffoli, and Edler all back.
I hear ya, brotha. Regardless of who we play next, we will need some bodies back. And if we go 7 games, and play a rested Colorado/Vegas, we are going to suffer badly. A few extra days to heal the bruises would be very nice.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13807
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Micky »

Andrew Walker@AndrewWalker650
As we talked about on @Sportsnet650
postgame show, hearing Alex Edler is fine. Lots of stitches and took way too long for him to rejoin the game
8:47 AM · Aug 20, 2020·
Hope so. Geez did that leg fly up fast.
"evolution"
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2787
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:31 am https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1511991

According to Dahliwal:

- Edler should be ok for game #6

- Toffoli a possibility for game #7, might be able to push for game #6 if they really wanted.

- Myers should be ok for the next series when we advance. :P
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13807
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Micky »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:32 am
game #7,
:evil:
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:23 am

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Curmudgeon »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm I hated to see Bobby Schmautz leave. That trade made us a worse hockey team.
Schmautz and Boudrias were great together and along with Don Tannahill the line had a good but short run. When he came back for his last year the line with him, Tiger, and Per-Olov Brasar was very good too. Always looked like he had a grin on his face when fighting.


Sounds like the Canucks will get everybody back if they advance but Friday will be a war. Won't be for the faint of heart and I already record games and watch the parts I can't bear to watch later. Like a lot of last night despite my medicinals.
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13807
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Micky »

Media interviews today, Aug. 20 the day between games 5 and 6. Just over 23 min.
First, Pettersson / Benn / Stecher
Then Travis Green

..

Much time spent with Benn. Petey and Stecher take a few QEs

Travis is keeping the enthusiasm as low key as he can but you can tell he's happy right now. Did not confirm Edler will be back
but I think it's almost for sure he will. / There have been tweets indicating that and also that Myers is close.
Last edited by Micky on Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2787
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Micky wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:14 am Take it easy Todd. Brock played fine. Several good chances and was skating better. Who cares where anyone plays now, lets have scoring all over the line-up. The more we can roll four lines, the farther we go.
I know I'm hard on Brockstar. Man, during his rookie season I thought we had a franchise sniper (like the days of Bure and Nasi again). Brock and Laine looked like the future NHL RWers who would take over the mantle from Ovi. Brock used to be a scoring threat from anywhere and it didn't matter who he played with. The shoot seemed to have everything: quick release, super accurate and high velocity. Right now, I'm just not seeing it and I wish we had that old Brock back to possibly make our team a legit contender. Not sure if his hand is fucked up, confidence, maybe both.

He is what he is right now. Even though I wouldn't say he's a high end scoring threat anymore, I do see hustle and he still makes some good plays. I just want to see Greener manage the lines in a way that I think will best get us the W and I'm not sure if Brock on the top 6 is the best way to achieve this.
User avatar
2Fingers
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5536
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 am

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by 2Fingers »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:02 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:14 am Take it easy Todd. Brock played fine. Several good chances and was skating better. Who cares where anyone plays now, lets have scoring all over the line-up. The more we can roll four lines, the farther we go.
I know I'm hard on Brockstar. Man, during his rookie season I thought we had a franchise sniper (like the days of Bure and Nasi again). Brock and Laine looked like the future NHL RWers who would take over the mantle from Ovi. Brock used to be a scoring threat from anywhere and it didn't matter who he played with. The shoot seemed to have everything: quick release, super accurate and high velocity. Right now, I'm just not seeing it and I wish we had that old Brock back to possibly make our team a legit contender. Not sure if his hand is fucked up, confidence, maybe both.

He is what he is right now. Even though I wouldn't say he's a high end scoring threat anymore, I do see hustle and he still makes some good plays. I just want to see Greener manage the lines in a way that I think will best get us the W and I'm not sure if Brock on the top 6 is the best way to achieve this.
BB is exactly what this team needs, someone who can get 30 goals and play on the top 2 PP. When the top line is not scoring then he can be the one that scores.

I would not trade him unless we are getting a #2 d man back.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2787
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

2Fingers wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:50 am BB is exactly what this team needs, someone who can get 30 goals and play on the top 2 PP.

I would not trade him unless we are getting a #2 d man back.
That's the thing, I don't see a 30G man in Brock right now, maybe a 20G man. Most of those goals will be of the greasy variety, battling around the net. I fear the days of Brock ripping it top shelf from all over the ice are gone.

If we can move him while his perceived market value is still fairly high, I'd do it. A good young D-man would be great; heck, I'd consider a 1st round pick right now.
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 10929
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by rats19 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:39 am
2Fingers wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:50 am BB is exactly what this team needs, someone who can get 30 goals and play on the top 2 PP.

I would not trade him unless we are getting a #2 d man back.
That's the thing, I don't see a 30G man in Brock right now, maybe a 20G man. Most of those goals will be of the greasy variety, battling around the net. I fear the days of Brock ripping it top shelf from all over the ice are gone.

If we can move him while his perceived market value is still fairly high, I'd do it. A good young D-man would be great; heck, I'd consider a 1st round pick right now.
No, we keep Brock it is way way to soon after the wrist injury to say he is done with the lightning snap wrister

He will overcome and be top shelf Brock once more..
Getting old is not for the young...
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7913
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Meds »

rats19 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:46 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:39 am
2Fingers wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:50 am BB is exactly what this team needs, someone who can get 30 goals and play on the top 2 PP.

I would not trade him unless we are getting a #2 d man back.
That's the thing, I don't see a 30G man in Brock right now, maybe a 20G man. Most of those goals will be of the greasy variety, battling around the net. I fear the days of Brock ripping it top shelf from all over the ice are gone.

If we can move him while his perceived market value is still fairly high, I'd do it. A good young D-man would be great; heck, I'd consider a 1st round pick right now.
No, we keep Brock it is way way to soon after the wrist injury to say he is done with the lightning snap wrister

He will overcome and be top shelf Brock once more..
Brock has never had the quick release. He has a wicked shot, but his release has never been the likes of Sakic or Ovechkin. He reminds me more of Naslund, a little slower on the release but still a great shot. I remember back in the day hearing a few goaltenders talk about shooters during the WCE era. Heaviest wrist shot was Iginla, quickest release was Sakic, most accurate was Naslund.....all of them very respected shooters.

End of game 4 we saw a few shots by Brock, all of them missed, but they had some good heat.

What he needs to work on is his catch and release. Right now he's still got that young, junior hockey, game going on where there's time to settle the puck and pick your spot because defenders aren't as quick to position and goalies aren't as good. We all know that the NHL is the fastest and best league out there, and that to succeed your game has to be quick.

I'm with rats, too soon after the wrist injury to say he can't recover his shot. Another season at least before we entertain moving on from him.

It's worth noting that Brock's playmaking game is badly under-rated. We aren't seeing it quite the same because he's fighting the puck for a second or so when it comes to him which gives defenders time to get on him. But the times where we see him actually control the puck he has great instincts for looking at the cross-seam passes etc.....his back hand pass needs a ton of work though. :P
User avatar
2Fingers
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5536
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 am

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by 2Fingers »

I have also seen him infront of the net on the PP so he is not afraid to get into the dirty areas. He took some major crosschecks and one time looked liked it phased him.

Again move him for an equal valued D man is ok but not picks, we are passed that point.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9589
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Cornuck »

I think what we saw in the last game was a change-up with Brock's game. He either realized (or was told) that if he's not scoring, then he needs to work to create more chances. Brock's always been a bit of a floater and circled around waiting for the puck - but I was excited / surprised to see the effort he was putting in to puck battles.

It's these adaptations that every player has to make to keep this team competitive. From day one, Benning has talked about character when drafting and trading, and now we're finally seeing the fruits of that policy. I see this team building into a unit unlike what we've seen in Canuckland for a long time. Everyone is buying into it and stepping it up when they can. Hell - even Jake at some point will snap out of whatever is in his head and join the rest of them. Loui is Loui... :/
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
Post Reply