Fix The Canucks Cap 2020 Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Fix The Canucks Cap 2020 Offseason

Post by Richardstroker69 »

ESQ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:49 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:11 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 am
Horvats had a pretty shitty series vs vegas compared to the blues series. He needs Louie back
Lmao .... good one. :lol:
See! Loui may not get credited with his third-assists, but someone's gotta set them up! :lol:
You know it!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

With a flat cap, might see a more ruthless Jim Benning this offseason.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:30 pm With a flat cap, might see a more ruthless Jim Benning this offseason.
Saving grace is everyone's in the same boat.
"evolution"
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Micky wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:32 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:30 pm With a flat cap, might see a more ruthless Jim Benning this offseason.
Saving grace is everyone's in the same boat.
A good thing that is, too. Because Jimmy doesn't possess a mean side, he's an old softy.
el rey del mambo
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Okay, I was taking a look at capfriendly

Currently out of Markstrom, Taffoli, and Tanev their cap hits are: $3.367mil, $4.6mil and $4.45 mil. Total $12,417 mil.

For arguments sake, I will assume that Ferland goes on LTIR (the team really should do an intervention for his long term health's sake) that would be a savings of $3.5 mil

New Contracts for the 3 of them: (annual cap hit only)

Markstrom $6 mil (6 - 3.4 = 2.6 mil increase annually)
Taffoli $5.5 mil (5.5 - 4.6 = .9 mil increase annually)
Tanev $5 mil (5 - 4.45 = .55 mil increase annually) = 4.05 mil annual increase for all 3 players.

Even give Taffoli $6 mil and it is still 4.5 mil increase, could even give Tanev another .5 and it is still under 6 million increase for all 3 players.

The key here is getting rid of Eriksson's $6mil increase. Really this is going to be an interesting UFA free agency period with a flat cap. I can see a lot more reasonably contracts coming for UFAs and I think my numbers are reasonable. Markstrom will probably get a NMC to help bring down the cap hit, Taffoli too.

But those numbers I would be fine with.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

theman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:19 am Okay, I was taking a look at capfriendly

Currently out of Markstrom, Taffoli, and Tanev their cap hits are: $3.367mil, $4.6mil and $4.45 mil. Total $12,417 mil.

For arguments sake, I will assume that Ferland goes on LTIR (the team really should do an intervention for his long term health's sake) that would be a savings of $3.5 mil

New Contracts for the 3 of them: (annual cap hit only)

Markstrom $6 mil (6 - 3.4 = 2.6 mil increase annually)
Taffoli $5.5 mil (5.5 - 4.6 = .9 mil increase annually)
Tanev $5 mil (5 - 4.45 = .55 mil increase annually) = 4.05 mil annual increase for all 3 players.

Even give Taffoli $6 mil and it is still 4.5 mil increase, could even give Tanev another .5 and it is still under 6 million increase for all 3 players.

The key here is getting rid of Eriksson's $6mil increase. Really this is going to be an interesting UFA free agency period with a flat cap. I can see a lot more reasonably contracts coming for UFAs and I think my numbers are reasonable. Markstrom will probably get a NMC to help bring down the cap hit, Taffoli too.

But those numbers I would be fine with.
Yeah we all forget that Tanev and Toffoli’s raises on their potential new contracts will not be Huge. Worst case scenario they each get $1.5 million raises but I believe it will be more like $1 million raises for each of Tanev and Toffoli. Marky will get the biggest raise somewhere around $2.5 million to $3 million. Jim needs to get rid of one of Sutter and Eriksson. Hopefully Eriksson. After next season they then get huge cap relief with the contracts of Sutter, Pearson, Edler and Baertschi coming off the books:

Baertschi’s - $3.3
Pearson - $3.7
Sutter - $4.3
Edler - $6

That’s $17.7 million in players getting replaced by entry level type contracts

Podkolzin
Lind
MacEwan
Tryamkin
Juolevi
Rathbone
Rafferty

The year after Edler, Baertschi, Pearson and Sutter walk Beagle. Roussel and Eriksson go bye bye

- Beagle - $3
- Roussel - $3
- Eriksson - $6

That’s another $12 million

Combined with Luongos $3 million cap recapture ending i believe the same year these 3 contacts ending that’s $15 million coming off the books after $17.3 million coming off the books the previous year in. That’s $32.3 million in lame contracts expiry over the next two years. Manageable

Benning just has to keep the entry level pipeline healthy and stocked ti help offset the big contracts moving forward
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Dhaliwal@DhaliwalSports
RFA Tyler Motte's agent Rich Evans : "Tyler wants to be a part of this group in Vancouver going forward, and we hope to make that happen with a new contract." https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 8448285698
9:55 AM · Sep 7, 2020
Great idea. It will happen if you don't ask the world, just what your're worth. Solid player Showed big-time game in the playoffs. 8-)
--------------------------------
RFA Troy Stecher's agent Eustace King.
"At some point the Canucks will reach out and I look forward to those conversations. Troy believes in this team. It reminds me of the group that he won a national title with at North Dakota.”
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 2462670848
There were casual talks during the season.
9:43 AM · Sep 7, 2020·
Keep it cheap, Troy and you may be back.. Do not overestimate yourself to yourself and you'll be fine. Never mind the agent. :sly:
--------------------------------
I do not believe there have been any talks about a new deal with Elias Pettersson’s agent, Michael Deutsch, who would not comment about negotiations.
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 9928117255
“Until now Elias has been singularly focused on the playoffs, now it’s time for him to decompress and take a break.
9:45 AM · Sep 7, 2020
Are you calling all the agents Rick? Don't rock the boat too much, MM? :bounce:
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Stecher wants a big raise his days are numbered here. I’d prioritize RFA’s Motte, Gaudette and Virtanen over him. We need Gaudette cause we lack centres with Sutter and Beagle going soon

Stecher can be replaced within. Gaudette stays cause he’s a centre. Maybe Jake gets moved just to get rid of Eriksson. I’m ok with that. We are stacked on RW
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

from yesterday, the 6th of Sept...
UFA Chris Tanev's agent Wade Arnott : "Chris has always stated that his desire is to re-sign in Vancouver and that has not changed. We will see how the Canucks wish to proceed." https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 7215406080
12:03 PM · Sep 6, 2020·
Chris can make it happen if plays it a year at a time, maybe two. Loyalty check time... :idea:
------------------------------
UFA Tyler Toffoli agent Pat Brisson : "Tyler was a strong addition to the Canucks at the deadline. He loved the city , the team and enjoyed his time in Vancouver. I will be open to have discussions with Jim Bennng at the appropriate time.“
12:02 PM · Sep 6, 2020·
Sounds unambiguous, all business. Soul searching time. Doubt this works, can't blame a player for wanting
his big pat-day, we'll see. :|
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Micky wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:31 am from yesterday, the 6th of Sept...
UFA Chris Tanev's agent Wade Arnott : "Chris has always stated that his desire is to re-sign in Vancouver and that has not changed. We will see how the Canucks wish to proceed." https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 7215406080
12:03 PM · Sep 6, 2020·
Chris can make it happen if plays it a year at a time, maybe two. Loyalty check time... :idea:
------------------------------
UFA Tyler Toffoli agent Pat Brisson : "Tyler was a strong addition to the Canucks at the deadline. He loved the city , the team and enjoyed his time in Vancouver. I will be open to have discussions with Jim Bennng at the appropriate time.“
12:02 PM · Sep 6, 2020·
Sounds unambiguous, all business. Soul searching time. Doubt this works, can't blame a player for wanting
his big pat-day, we'll see. :|
Dahliwahl and Lalji are in a twitter battle in trying to get to the story first!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:02 am
Dahliwahl and Lalji are in a twitter battle in trying to get to the story first!
Probably why he's getting rather ambiguous responses from agents.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Micky wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:21 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:02 am
Probably why he's getting rather ambiguous responses from agents.
It’s classic Dreger-ism. Pure assumptions
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Eriksson could have value to Ottawa. Melnyk was already scrambling and COVID just made it worse so when you consider they have maybe Tierney, Brown, Duclair, and Borowiecki as players of consequence to re-sign and none of those guys are bank breakers, along with Boedker and his $4 mil hit coming off the books, having a large cap hit with relatively low dollars due may be of interest just to keep them consistently above the cap floor.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:06 pm Eriksson could have value to Ottawa. Melnyk was already scrambling and COVID just made it worse so when you consider they have maybe Tierney, Brown, Duclair, and Borowiecki as players of consequence to re-sign and none of those guys are bank breakers, along with Boedker and his $4 mil hit coming off the books, having a large cap hit with relatively low dollars due may be of interest just to keep them consistently above the cap floor.
Yeah, but Eriksson would have to agree to the move. I guess we could 'convince' him that it is in his best interest to agree to the move.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

FTR:
Rob Williams@RobTheHockeyGuy
Jim Benning and Travis Green will speak to the media at noon on Tuesday, the Canucks have announced.
2:32 PM · Sep 7, 2020.
? probably just how proud they are of what they accomplished and how the team grew as a group as the playoffs went along / Great experience /
Now back to the business of seeing where guys are at / Mutual admiration ..............etc

Or it could be something more >>> :idea: Mud slinging at the Knights? :lol:
"evolution"