Fix The Canucks Cap 2020 Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Fix The Canucks Cap 2020 Offseason

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:53 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:18 am The high maintenance of Jake Virtanen makes it easy for me to trade him, yes he will show flashes but he’s an idiot and will bounce around the league because of it. He’s the one you package out wth a contract. With Toffoli, Boeser, Podkolzin, McEwan, Lind, Lockwood on RW it makes it easy for me to trade him.
Personally, I luv the Shotgun and I have a soft spot for him. He's a local kid and someone that we have drafted and developed. I think we are just starting to see the fruits of our labour from our patience and commitment to him. Out of all our wingers, I'd keep him over any of them, even over Brockstar (exception maybe JT Miller, but I see him more as a centre). Jake has the package that I rate better than all our wingers: shot, speed and the size (built so he's hard to knock down). I said b4, I think Jake can rip his shot better than Brock right now.

Sure, Jake is a Knucklehead and has maturity issues at times, but I think those things are really minor in the big scheme of things. As someone else mentioned, we had Kassassian and his issues were way worse. Even Kass eventually matured and he's a guy that any team would luv to have in their lineup now. As much as I luved Kass, I think Jake has better offensive skills and potential.
I’d feel the same if the Expansion Draft wasn’t coming. We are probably gonna lose a Lind or someone like that, maybe Gaudette.

Being local is Jakes biggest problem, he isn’t focused enough to avoid the party scene with his possee like local players of the past such as Ronning. Ronning was a true Pro, Jake is a true Flake, that will never change

He will show flashes of brilliance here and there but will continually drift in and out of David Booth world when on the ice, that will never change

Trade him with a Loui Eriksson for pucks, be done with it. Sign Toffoli, roll with him McEwan, Boeser, Podkolzin on RW. Figure out how to ease Lind in. Lind has played centre before
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:18 am The high maintenance of Jake Virtanen makes it easy for me to trade him, yes he will show flashes but he’s an idiot and will bounce around the league because of it. He’s the one you package out wth a contract. With Toffoli, Boeser, Podkolzin, McEwan, Lind, Lockwood on RW it makes it easy for me to trade him. We are gonna lose some good young forwards at the Seattle Expansion draft anyways. I’d rather lose him now with a contract, get some kind of asset back than let’s say losing Lind to the expansion draft for nothing, but this is an area of Benning where he seems to not do well in, he doesn’t seem to think along those lines
Did the rules change? I thought Seattle could pick only one player from each team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I was at a house wrecker in bby heights years ago when Ronning was there and i had a butt pack full of giant chong doobies to smoke. I lit one up and offered it to CR and he promptly sauntered out to his SL500 and squeeled wheels outta there. He was not a smoker it turns out lol.

Cliff if youre lurking it was the party where they had loaded 2 feet of beach sand on the entire main floor....live bands in the back yard
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:01 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:18 am The high maintenance of Jake Virtanen makes it easy for me to trade him, yes he will show flashes but he’s an idiot and will bounce around the league because of it. He’s the one you package out wth a contract. With Toffoli, Boeser, Podkolzin, McEwan, Lind, Lockwood on RW it makes it easy for me to trade him. We are gonna lose some good young forwards at the Seattle Expansion draft anyways. I’d rather lose him now with a contract, get some kind of asset back than let’s say losing Lind to the expansion draft for nothing, but this is an area of Benning where he seems to not do well in, he doesn’t seem to think along those lines
Did the rules change? I thought Seattle could pick only one player from each team.
Yes, sorry you’re right. It’s interesting who will be the sacrificial lamb to save lambs.

If we sign Markstrom and don’t trade one of Demko and Markstrom then well, it will be one of them I imagine but then again I imagine Seattle will have a healthy buffet of goalies to choose from, I believe the Rangers are in a pickle with too many good goalies.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Maybe the Kraken will pick Olli Juolevi
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Unless Demko looks a little better he wont be the chosen one. He had an average season IMESHO
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 am Maybe the Kraken will pick Olli Juolevi
6’-3” 200 lbs Olli is showing well at training camp. Do not close the book yet Coquitlam Mall
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:14 am Unless Demko looks a little better he wont be the chosen one. He had an average season IMESHO
You maybe right once said Billy Joel. There will be a plethora of good goalies for Francis to choose from
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:40 am
Being local is Jakes biggest problem, he isn’t focused enough to avoid the party scene with his possee like local players of the past such as Ronning. Ronning was a true Pro, Jake is a true Flake, that will never change

He will show flashes of brilliance here and there but will continually drift in and out of David Booth world when on the ice, that will never change
Jake will probably play for a bag of pucks to stay here. If he played the opposite wing it would be an easy decision to keep him around.
There's still plenty of potential there.
As it is, I might be inclined to do the dirty deeds thing and re-sign him just to trade him for something that works better for the Canucks.
Good defense man, (something above Benn / Fantenburg), or a D prospect near ready. If that fails, he could bring a good left winger, a
position we need something better, stronger, meaner.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Micky wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:29 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:40 am

Jake will probably play for a bag of pucks to stay here. If he played the opposite wing it would be an easy decision to keep him around.
There's still plenty of potential there.
As it is, I might be inclined to do the dirty deeds thing and re-sign him just to trade him for something that works better for the Canucks.
Good defense man, (something above Benn / Fantenburg), or a D prospect near ready. If that fails, he could bring a good left winger, a
position we need something better, stronger, meaner.
If I were Jake, if I wasn’t in the starting line-up against the Wild, I’d see the writing on the walls. I’d definitely go to arbitration and not settle for anything but whatever max my agent figures I could get. I’d fully expect to be traded or allowed to go as a UFA. The only contract I’d sign through negations would have to have a full NMC.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:21 pm
If I were Jake, if I wasn’t in the starting line-up against the Wild, I’d see the writing on the walls. I’d definitely go to arbitration and not settle for anything but whatever max my agent figures I could get. I’d fully expect to be traded or allowed to go as a UFA. The only contract I’d sign through negations would have to have a full NMC.
That's a far more likely outcome than Jake signing for $2 million.

At arbitration, he gets at least $3 mil after the season he had.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah, if Green doesn't start giving Jake more icetime, we should just trade him.

But I don't want to trade him. :(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:50 pm Yeah, if Green doesn't start giving Jake more icetime, we should just trade him.

But I don't want to trade him. :(
I don’t think Green or Benning want to trade Jake. Green has the patience of Job for Jake, but it’s the playoffs and there is no time left for the usual tough love tactics. I dunno. Maybe being scratched off the lineup for the play-in round will be enough of a slap to wake him up. It’s on Jake now.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Even if hes scratched he would be the first sub in if they lose a game. I would really like to see how Jake looks in the playoffs with a fire lit under his ass....he has the tools to be effective in a best of series if he could ever get pissed off enough
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:16 am Even if hes scratched he would be the first sub in if they lose a game. I would really like to see how Jake looks in the playoffs with a fire lit under his ass....he has the tools to be effective in a best of series if he could ever get pissed off enough
Agree with this. It’s a good situation for the Canucks, it forces the bottom 6 to be there best knowing they could be sitting for sine one else if they are stinking worse than Doyles slow pitch socks on a hot boozy BBQ summer day at a tourney in Boston Bar.