Awards 2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Awards 2020

Post by Carl Yagro »

Imma go out on a limb and say Hughes and Makar are both co-Calder winners.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Makar is a wonderful Canadian player. He has tremendous skills and goes to the net as well as any D in the NHL. On and on it goes from the writers in the league.

It is all true but for this one fact. Hughes is fucking magic. Period end of story. History will prove me right for once.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

damonberryman wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:42 pm Makar is a wonderful Canadian player. He has tremendous skills and goes to the net as well as any D in the NHL. On and on it goes from the writers in the league.

It is all true but for this one fact. Hughes is fucking magic. Period end of story. History will prove me right for once.

I watched Hughes pretty well every game. I never saw Makar play one full game, just highlights. I am therefore biased and think Hughes should win. They sound like very similar players. Without his injury I think Makar gets more points than Hughes. If the season was able to finish I think Hughes would have set a few more records. Toss a coin.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:11 am
damonberryman wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:42 pm Makar is a wonderful Canadian player. He has tremendous skills and goes to the net as well as any D in the NHL. On and on it goes from the writers in the league.

I watched Hughes pretty well every game. I never saw Makar play one full game, just highlights. I am therefore biased and think Hughes should win. They sound like very similar players. Without his injury I think Makar gets more points than Hughes. If the season was able to finish I think Hughes would have set a few more records. Toss a coin.
Ive watched plenty of Makar this year and hes a beauty. He has a wicked move where he cuts to the low slot and snipes corner wristers with authority. Hes also got a touch of dirty in his game.

No as a canucks and huge quinn hughes fan i still concede the difference and probably would vote in Cale as well if i was being totally objective and unbiased.
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 am

Ive watched plenty of Makar this year and hes a beauty. He has a wicked move where he cuts to the low slot and snipes corner wristers with authority. Hes also got a touch of dirty in his game.

No as a canucks and huge quinn hughes fan i still concede the difference and probably would vote in Cale as well if i was being totally objective and unbiased.
Exactly Brownie. We all love Q, but you have to be objective. Both these young dudes are stud Dmen. Makar won the Hobey and led his team to the NCAA finals. Then he immediately joins the Avs for Game 3 of the playoffs and scores a goal.

They're going to be battling as the league's top D for years to come. They are so close as rookies, it would be a robbery if one loses the Calder to the other. Anyone who can't see Makar's greatness is as homerish as John Garrett.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Quinn Hughes---1488 TOI /---per game 21:53------68 games--minus 10---------47 blocked shots and 8 hits.

Kale Makar------1198 TOI /-- per game 21:01------57 games--plus 12------------48 blocked shots and 45 hits

For what it's worth, Quinn is 14 months younger. Maybe more durable? OK, that's reaching a wee bit. He's every bit. if not more exciting
to watch but going by the stats which have to be acknowledged, KM will win but still; Most other years, Quinn would win.
The hits and the plus / minus stick-out a smidge .

Did I mention some times there's politics involved? Nah, couldn't happen. Not in this league. Oh well, carry on John.

"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm
They're going to be battling as the league's top D for years to come.
I’d throw a couple other guys in there as well. Rasmus Dahlin and Miro Heiskanen. I’m curious how many Norris trophies these four kids will combine for.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:55 am
I’d throw a couple other guys in there as well. Rasmus Dahlin and Miro Heiskanen. I’m curious how many Norris trophies these four kids will combine for.
I’d also add in Thomas Chabot, Ivan Provorov and Charlie McAvoy. There is a real impressive group of young D men in the game today.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 am
I’d also add in Thomas Chabot, Ivan Provorov and Charlie McAvoy. There is a real impressive group of young D men in the game today.
That's quite an impressive list of young Dmen. Kids who have stepped in and immediately made a huge impact on their teams.

It's a testament to how good Hughes and Makar is, that everyone has forgotten about Dahlin. I never thought Heiskanen would be this good and Chabot has made Sens fans completely forget about Karlsson.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Selke Trophy /Best Defensive Forward Finalists;
Patrice Bergeron
Sean Couturier
Ryan O'Reilly
Roman Josi
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Its tough to take anything away from Makar's rookie season, but it was only due to injury that Brock didn't win the Calder, in spite of a somewhat more impressive stats line than Barzal.

But now, of course, Makar is going to win the Calder even though he missed a bunch of games and has a less-impressive stats line (due to missed games) than Hughes.

Go figure.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 am Its tough to take anything away from Makar's rookie season, but it was only due to injury that Brock didn't win the Calder, in spite of a somewhat more impressive stats line than Barzal.

But now, of course, Makar is going to win the Calder even though he missed a bunch of games and has a less-impressive stats line (due to missed games) than Hughes.

Go figure.
That narrative forgets that Barzal was a deserving winner and was the front runner most of the season. Boeser was neck and neck most of the way. Barzal was going to get more points, Boeser more goals. Boeser was by no stretch the early choice and Barzal never fell out of the race. For Boeser to have won he would have had to score between 40-50 goals. Doable without the injury but not a sure thing.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 am

Only saw highlights of Makar myself, but I'm not sure where I land on this one. The edge in physical grit goes to Makar, he's bigger and mixes it up better down low on D, which is important for a D man. The points totals though are a bit unfair, yes more goals, but he plays on a PP unit with MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Rantanen.....Makar didn't single-handedly turn an offense around the way Hughes did.

Granted, the Canucks landed Miller and had Petey coming in for his sophomore year, but they weren't the focus of opposing defensive strategies to the extent that MacKinnon and Rantanen were.

I'll concede the edge going to Makar simply because he is ultimately a more rounded player at his position.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 am Its tough to take anything away from Makar's rookie season, but it was only due to injury that Brock didn't win the Calder, in spite of a somewhat more impressive stats line than Barzal.

Go figure.
Where do you get your information from?

Boeser 55 points in 62 games. Good for 0.88ppg.

Barzal 85 points in 82 games. Good for 1.04ppg.

If all you're looking at is goals, then sure, but the entire stats line favors Barzal.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:39 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 am
That's quite an impressive list of young Dmen. Kids who have stepped in and immediately made a huge impact on their teams.

It's a testament to how good Hughes and Makar is, that everyone has forgotten about Dahlin. I never thought Heiskanen would be this good and Chabot has made Sens fans completely forget about Karlsson.
When it comes to the 1OA pick, always take the North American kid over the European. There are some exceptionally talented Euro players, but by and large the ones that go 1OA tend to have a lower ceiling than projected.....either that or you really have to have patience and let them develop.

Not saying this is 100% of the time, nor am I saying that North American 1OA picks always pan out, but there is definitely a trend towards this line of thought.