Awards 2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Awards 2020

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:11 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 am Its tough to take anything away from Makar's rookie season, but it was only due to injury that Brock didn't win the Calder, in spite of a somewhat more impressive stats line than Barzal.

But now, of course, Makar is going to win the Calder even though he missed a bunch of games and has a less-impressive stats line (due to missed games) than Hughes.

Go figure.
That narrative forgets that Barzal was a deserving winner and was the front runner most of the season. Boeser was neck and neck most of the way. Barzal was going to get more points, Boeser more goals. Boeser was by no stretch the early choice and Barzal never fell out of the race. For Boeser to have won he would have had to score between 40-50 goals. Doable without the injury but not a sure thing.
Yup. Didn't see this before I replied to the same post. I'm not certain that Boeser could have scored 50, I think even 40 would have been a stretch, and I also recall that before his injury Barzal pulled away by like 8-10 points over 2 week span of time.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:16 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:39 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:55 am
Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm
They're going to be battling as the league's top D for years to come.
I’d throw a couple other guys in there as well. Rasmus Dahlin and Miro Heiskanen. I’m curious how many Norris trophies these four kids will combine for.
I’d also add in Thomas Chabot, Ivan Provorov and Charlie McAvoy. There is a real impressive group of young D men in the game today.
That's quite an impressive list of young Dmen. Kids who have stepped in and immediately made a huge impact on their teams.

It's a testament to how good Hughes and Makar is, that everyone has forgotten about Dahlin. I never thought Heiskanen would be this good and Chabot has made Sens fans completely forget about Karlsson.
When it comes to the 1OA pick, always take the North American kid over the European. There are some exceptionally talented Euro players, but by and large the ones that go 1OA tend to have a lower ceiling than projected.....either that or you really have to have patience and let them develop.

Not saying this is 100% of the time, nor am I saying that North American 1OA picks always pan out, but there is definitely a trend towards this line of thought.
Well... so far only eight Europeans have been picked first overall. :|

Kovalchuk, Ovechkin and Yakupov from Russia.
Patrik Stefan and Roman Hamrlik from the Czech Republic.
Mats Sundin and Rasmus Dahlin from Sweden.
Nico Hischier from Switzerland.

Apart from Stefan and Yakupov I think they look pretty solid. And those two weren’t catastrophically bad.
Well, maybe to early to tell regarding Dahlin and Hischier, but they look decent so far.
And Stefan going first was somehow part of the Sedin deal, wasn’t it?
If one of the Sedins had gone as #1 instead..... yeah, pretty solid, imho.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Micky wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:45 am I was going to wait till they were all announced but since we have a thread now; Hughes by a landslide

19/20 NHL awards;

Calder finalists; /Rookie
Quinn Hughes
Cale Makar
Dominik Kubalik
--
Jack Adams finalists; /Coach
Bruce Cassidy
John Tortorella
Alain Vigneault
--
Ted Lindsay finalists; /Outstanding
Draisaitl
MacKinnon
Panarin

I hope you're right. Homeboy bias and all, I've seen Makar play maybe 10 games and he would be a deserving winner too if he won. He and Heiskanen sure make a 2017 re-draft interesting.

Hopefully AV wins the Adams, I like that guy and was sorry to see him leave. We had a pretty good run in coaches with AV, Torts, and Crow, and then Willie D came along. lol
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Vezina Trophy candidates:
Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask
Winnipeg Jets goaltender Connor Hellebuyck
Tampa Bay Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy

Marky Mark has had a good season, but he needs to step it up even more to get into this race.

I think Vasilevskiy may repeat last year’s win.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

My money is on Hellybuck. He had an incredible season
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

HART:

Draisaitl
MacKinnon
Panarin
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:17 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:16 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:39 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:55 am
Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm
They're going to be battling as the league's top D for years to come.
I’d throw a couple other guys in there as well. Rasmus Dahlin and Miro Heiskanen. I’m curious how many Norris trophies these four kids will combine for.
I’d also add in Thomas Chabot, Ivan Provorov and Charlie McAvoy. There is a real impressive group of young D men in the game today.
That's quite an impressive list of young Dmen. Kids who have stepped in and immediately made a huge impact on their teams.

It's a testament to how good Hughes and Makar is, that everyone has forgotten about Dahlin. I never thought Heiskanen would be this good and Chabot has made Sens fans completely forget about Karlsson.
When it comes to the 1OA pick, always take the North American kid over the European. There are some exceptionally talented Euro players, but by and large the ones that go 1OA tend to have a lower ceiling than projected.....either that or you really have to have patience and let them develop.

Not saying this is 100% of the time, nor am I saying that North American 1OA picks always pan out, but there is definitely a trend towards this line of thought.
Well... so far only eight Europeans have been picked first overall. :|

Kovalchuk, Ovechkin and Yakupov from Russia.
Patrik Stefan and Roman Hamrlik from the Czech Republic.
Mats Sundin and Rasmus Dahlin from Sweden.
Nico Hischier from Switzerland.

Apart from Stefan and Yakupov I think they look pretty solid. And those two weren’t catastrophically bad.
Well, maybe to early to tell regarding Dahlin and Hischier, but they look decent so far.
And Stefan going first was somehow part of the Sedin deal, wasn’t it?
If one of the Sedins had gone as #1 instead..... yeah, pretty solid, imho.
I don't always consider Russians as Euro.....but if you do count them sure whatever.

It's not a question of whether or not they are solid players. Just whether or not someone drafted below them ended up having more career value.

On that list I'd say that only Ovie and Sundin cut the mustard over their careers.....although there was this guy named Sergei Fedorov who was taken by Detroit in the 4th round of 1989 who makes a really good case for being more valuable than Sundin. I think there are a few rings on his fingers to back that up too. :P

I would say that Spezza surpassed Kovalchuk in terms of overall value to a team in his career.

Hamrlik was a solid pick, and had a good career, but 1992 was a terrible draft year with few exceptions. Gonchar was the better defenseman, albeit Russian, but one of the next most valuable players in that draft was Michael Peca taken in the second round.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 am
I don't always consider Russians as Euro.....but if you do count them sure whatever.
Well, I guess the Siberian part of Russia lies in Asia, but the Russian part of Russia is definitely situated in Europe. :|
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

On that list I'd say that only Ovie and Sundin cut the mustard over their careers.....although there was this guy named Sergei Fedorov who was taken by Detroit in the 4th round of 1989 who makes a really good case for being more valuable than Sundin. I think there are a few rings on his fingers to back that up too. :P
That's an interesting debate - Sundin vs. Fedorov. I don't know the story of why Fedorov was drafted so late, I assume the usual Soviet defection problems? I think Sundin would narrowly get the nod over Fedorov, but I don't think Sundin is more valuable than the Wings 3rd round pick in that draft, Lidstrom.

Fedorov did a weird coasting in the last decade of his career, even while still playing for the stacked Wings teams. Sundin remained dominant on weaker Leaves teams. Its a toss-up though, Fedorov had such an unbelievably high peak to his career.
Hamrlik was a solid pick, and had a good career, but 1992 was a terrible draft year with few exceptions. Gonchar was the better defenseman, albeit Russian, but one of the next most valuable players in that draft was Michael Peca taken in the second round.
Wow, talking about damning him with faint praise. He edges out Peca?! What a brutal draft, Canucks were lucky to escape with Libor Polasek in the 1st round!
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Per wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:28 pm
Well, I guess the Siberian part of Russia lies in Asia, but the Russian part of Russia is definitely situated in Europe. :|
The day Russia joins the EU is the day I'll call them European. :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:23 pm
That's what I was going to say. Per is grasping at straws here.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

OK, but than Hischier isn’t European either, as Switzerland is outside of the EU as well. :drink:

I stupidly assumed that by Euros you meant players from Europe. My bad.

But in that case only four Euro players have gone first overall, so it’s really too few to build any kind of statistics on.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

NHL Public Relations@PR_NHL
The @NHL has announced the 31 team nominees for the 2019-20 King Clancy Memorial Trophy. https://media.nhl.com/public/news/14088
1:05 PM · Jul 27, 2020..........................................................................................press me I'm a big picture ^^
The King Clancy Memorial Trophy is a sports award given annually to the National Hockey League (NHL) player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and who has made a significant humanitarian contribution to his community. The winner is chosen by "a special panel of representatives" from the Professional Hockey Writers' Association and the NHL Broadcasters' Association.[1]

Alexander Edler for the Canucks.. :rockin:
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Evander Kane for the Sharks
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:24 pm
OK, but than Hischier isn’t European either, as Switzerland is outside of the EU as well. :drink:

I stupidly assumed that by Euros you meant players from Europe. My bad.

But in that case only four Euro players have gone first overall, so it’s really too few to build any kind of statistics on.
Since you live on the other side of the pond, I guess this is a case of terminology being somewhat cultural.

I can't think of anyone that I know here in North America who would consider Russians to be European.....they're Russians. Maybe that would be different if I was talking to people under the age of 30, however, for my generation, Europe stopped at the Russian border: The old Soviet Union.

I get that in terms of continental geography the majority of Russia's population is in Europe.