2023 Draft Class

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2023 Draft Class

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bedard proving he’s the real deal at the U-18’s. Curious why no Wright or Savoie? Too old or in the playoffs? I see Fantilli is there
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The next Mogilny/Kucherov/Panarin - Matvei Michkov - odb remember the name.
Michkov scores the championship-winning goal with the michigan.

He finishes the playoffs with 13 goals and 17 points in 17 playoff games - that's a new MHL playoff goal record for U18 skaters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KNtbpifR4M

Slafkovsky news;
Juraj Slafkovsky (#60) grabbed a primary helper to give him 7 points in 16 playoff games - 3rd most EVER by a U18 skater in Liiga history.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Alex Mogilny is criminally underrated. It’s a travesty he isn’t in the HHOF.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:18 am Alex Mogilny is criminally underrated. It’s a travesty he isn’t in the HHOF.
I'm with you Blob.

As an all around player with respect to raw talent he was superior to Bure imo.
DeLevering since 1999.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

donlever wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:20 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:18 am Alex Mogilny is criminally underrated. It’s a travesty he isn’t in the HHOF.
I'm with you Blob.

I heard an interview with Pat Quinn in which Quinn described Mogilny as "probably the most talented player he ever coached".
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:51 pm
I'm with you Blob.

I heard an interview with Pat Quinn in which Quinn described Mogilny as "probably the most talented player he ever coached".
....makes me think of '89 Alaska.

Bure Moginly and Federov together on a Gold winning Russian squad.

Pretty stellar stuff at the time....
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Regina making the Western swing next season. November 29 in Kelowna!

Season tickets to be renewed looks like.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Was just thinking about the tank teams this season and how to get rid of the practice. It’s obvious that Chicago and Arizona are purposefully screwing their seasons for a chance to draft Bedard or if not him at least a top four pick in the upcoming draft. The current weighted lottery system is not working to disincentivize tanking at all. These teams are not trying at all to ice a competitive line-up. This sucks for their fans for at least this season, and probably more. And it’s bad for increasing the number of fans being attracted to the league to have teams that aren’t entertaining or even trying to be competitive even before the new season begins.

I think the best way to stop rewarding these ne'er-do-well organizations is to give each non-playoff team two picks in a snake order before any playoff team gets a pick, and have an equal odds lottery for all non-playoff team. The team that wins the lottery would get picks 1 and 32, the next would get picks 2 and 31, until the team that did poorest in the lottery got picks 15 and 16. After the 32nd pick, the second round would begin and teams would go in the usual order based on the standings. With this system the league is still trying to help non-playoff teams rebuild faster than playoff teams to increase league competitiveness, and it removes all incentive to tank.

The league probably can’t make this kind of change now because teams like Arizona and Chicago have already whacked themselves for this season, but I hope after the Bedard draft major changes like this are considered.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:46 am Was just thinking about the tank teams this season and how to get rid of the practice. It’s obvious that Chicago and Arizona are purposefully screwing their seasons for a chance to draft Bedard or if not him at least a top four pick in the upcoming draft. The current weighted lottery system is not working to disincentivize tanking at all. These teams are not trying at all to ice a competitive line-up. This sucks for their fans for at least this season, and probably more. And it’s bad for increasing the number of fans being attracted to the league to have teams that aren’t entertaining or even trying to be competitive even before the new season begins.

I think the best way to stop rewarding these ne'er-do-well organizations is to give each non-playoff team two picks in a snake order before any playoff team gets a pick, and have an equal odds lottery for all non-playoff team. The team that wins the lottery would get picks 1 and 32, the next would get picks 2 and 31, until the team that did poorest in the lottery got picks 15 and 16. After the 32nd pick, the second round would begin and teams would go in the usual order based on the standings. With this system the league is still trying to help non-playoff teams rebuild faster than playoff teams to increase league competitiveness, and it removes all incentive to tank.

The league probably can’t make this kind of change now because teams like Arizona and Chicago have already whacked themselves for this season, but I hope after the Bedard draft major changes like this are considered.
or simply say if you win the lottery one year, you add a 4 spot declining penaty in draft order for 4 years.
year 1 = 4 spot penalty (cant draft higher than 5th)
year 2 = 3 spot penalty (cant draft higher than 4th)
year 3 = 2 spot penalty
year 4 = 1 spot penalty
year 5, no penalty.

added to the current system, it would sure stop the perennial tank teams.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:08 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:46 am Was just thinking about the tank teams this season and how to get rid of the practice. It’s obvious that Chicago and Arizona are purposefully screwing their seasons for a chance to draft Bedard or if not him at least a top four pick in the upcoming draft. The current weighted lottery system is not working to disincentivize tanking at all. These teams are not trying at all to ice a competitive line-up. This sucks for their fans for at least this season, and probably more. And it’s bad for increasing the number of fans being attracted to the league to have teams that aren’t entertaining or even trying to be competitive even before the new season begins.

or simply say if you win the lottery one year, you add a 4 spot declining penaty in draft order for 4 years.
year 3 = 2 spot penalty
year 4 = 1 spot penalty
year 5, no penalty.

Yup, that would work for Arizona, but it wouldn’t stop all tanking. The occasional tank teams like Chicago this season would still partake. I’d rather eliminate the urge to tank completely.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:34 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:08 pm

year 3 = 2 spot penalty
year 4 = 1 spot penalty
year 5, no penalty.

Yup, that would work for Arizona, but it wouldn’t stop all tanking. The occasional tank teams like Chicago this season would still partake. I’d rather eliminate the urge to tank completely.
I don’t think you ever will. But it puts a stop to Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, etc..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The recent investigation into the antics of the Miami Dolphins that saw the owner suspended for tampering with Brady coming out of retirement also looked at management asking coaches to throw games to enhance the draft prospects. On that they were cleared, but interesting to see it was looked into.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

....the claim was he offered his coach 100K per game to lose.

They were also fined and Ross (team owner) suspended from league activities for tampering with Sean Payton.
DeLevering since 1999.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Connor Bedard called out by the coach.
I went with the best tonight (Bedard was not in our best tonight, in my opinion).

The numerous penalties didn't help either. Still, Bedard had a tough game in his zone. - Dave Cameron

'In this case, Cameron was explaining why Bedard only played four minutes in the last 40 minutes of the game against Finland.'

https://www.hockeypatrol.com/Connor-Bed ... ach-149020
No doubt he'll be a scoring sensation, but needs a lot to improve.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:51 pm
I'm with you Blob.

Too bad he only played half the games, and usually only a period or two. Great talent but he often seemed about as interested in the game as loui did. If he would have had a green light every night, he would have been a super star, instead of just amazing
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!