Judd Brackett is history

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Judd Brackett is history

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s been discussed in other threads like the LOL one, but that thread has its own purpose; to make fun of the posters at the neckbeard forum.

I think Judd Brackett seemed like a bright guy. The drafting has improved dramatically since he was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting. No doubt about it. It can’t really be debated. But it’s also improved since James Elmer Benning came aboard. There is also little doubt about this. Nobody knows all the ins and outs of why he left, not even JD Burke. While Brackett isn’t solely responsible for turning the amateur scouting around, he definitely seemed like a key cog in the wheel. At the end of the day it seems that Benning and Brackett had some level of disagreement on how the process should be implemented.

Make no mistake though, this is a loss. Hopefully there are others in the organization ready to step up and fill the void. Good luck to Judd in his future endeavours.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: Judd Brackett is history

Post by dangler »

Unfortunate Brackett is leaving, but not surprising.
With Bennings hands-on scouting history, it was probably time for Brackett to move on to a organisation that would provide him with more autonomy.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Not a team player!
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This needs it's own thread?
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

No doubt Brackett knows what he's doing in the scouting department.

Seems like it was time to move on. Oh well.

Also seems (to me fwiw) he was high-maintenance and a bit of a pompous ass.

We'll be alright...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 am No doubt Brackett knows what he's doing in the scouting department.

We'll be alright...
Yeah it’s probably best that he move on for both he and the team. I don’t think he will have difficulty finding a new gig, as you say he knows what he’s doing. But for the life of me, I have never seen such a shitstorm regarding a mid level management type. I really think the media in this town get off on stirring up shit like nowhere else. They are all fucking experts. And then you have the mouth breathers (like the neckbeards at hfboards for example) who eat this shit up hook, line and sinker. It will be interesting to see where he lands. Seattle would be funny. He may go down as the first scout to have his own fan club accompany him to his new job.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I’m not happy to see Brackett go. Bright guy, hard worker. If he was working for less of a bird-dog of a GM, he may well have stayed and had the autonomy he wanted. Benning is a bird-dog at heart, and being a GM... well we’ll see now whether he is a GM with a scout strong-side, or a scout with GM responsibilities.

Hopefully, even with Brackett’s departure, they keep some of the philosophies he put into the process.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 am This needs it's own thread?
There’s always your own thread that you can go throw your dirty diapers around in. Hell, there’s a couple of Gomer107 threads aren’t there? Bit of an attention whore aren’t you? :scowl:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lancer wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:50 am I’m not happy to see Brackett go. Bright guy, hard worker. If he was working for less of a bird-dog of a GM, he may well have stayed and had the autonomy he wanted. Benning is a bird-dog at heart, and being a GM... well we’ll see now whether he is a GM with a scout strong-side, or a scout with GM responsibilities.

Hopefully, even with Brackett’s departure, they keep some of the philosophies he put into the process.
Kinda how I feel about it Lancer. I hate seeing him go but it clearly wasn’t working and it seems like both parties needed a change. I hope to see another rising star within the organization who is ready to step up and fill the position.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:53 am
Lancer wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:50 am I’m not happy to see Brackett go. Bright guy, hard worker. If he was working for less of a bird-dog of a GM, he may well have stayed and had the autonomy he wanted. Benning is a bird-dog at heart, and being a GM... well we’ll see now whether he is a GM with a scout strong-side, or a scout with GM responsibilities.

Kinda how I feel about it Lancer. I hate seeing him go but it clearly wasn’t working and it seems like both parties needed a change. I hope to see another rising star within the organization who is ready to step up and fill the position.
I’d like to see one come up, but if Benning is going to act as Chief Scout AND General Manager, what are the odds? At some point, Benning has to let the scouts give him the best options for incoming talent and he builds from there. Then again, Benning may surprise us all.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:49 am
Strangelove wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 am No doubt Brackett knows what he's doing in the scouting department.

We'll be alright...
Yeah it’s probably best that he move on for both he and the team. I don’t think he will have difficulty finding a new gig, as you say he knows what he’s doing. But for the life of me, I have never seen such a shitstorm regarding a mid level management type. I really think the media in this town get off on stirring up shit like nowhere else. They are all fucking experts. And then you have the mouth breathers (like the neckbeards at hfboards for example) who eat this shit up hook, line and sinker. It will be interesting to see where he lands. Seattle would be funny. He may go down as the first scout to have his own fan club accompany him to his new job.
Yeah, no doubt Blob.

Alotta manic nutjobs scurrying around Canuckdom lately, would be nice if they'd just fuck right off...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Most GMs want a say in the 1 round pick and in some cases the 2. This is not unusual. For Brackett to want complete autonomy over those picks is rather mind boggling. And there is no question that through rounds 3-7 we have had some stellar picks but not all of those were Brackett finds. Also no question our drafting has improved with him around. This year he may have been more important than ever since we don't have a 1 or 2 round pick. But when an underling demands complete authority, well I don't know many bosses anywhere that would be willing to grant that. At some level we are all accountable to someone.

One way to look at it is this, has there been disagreement over the last 4-5 1 round picks? If so, did Brackett lose the guy he wanted? I think we all agree that Boeser, Peterson and Hughes are great 1 round picks. Virtanen and Juolevi are controversial. What would he have done different?
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I actually think they are good friends and let all the controversy rage on because it makes for better press than just saying;

You been thinkin bout the new Seattle gig>

Ya, f*ck, the thought crossed my mind. It would be cool.

I don't mind, you deserve it. Go for it.

Thanks, Jim. I think I will. How should we go about this? Gotta sound right.

Ya, we'll make a mini controversy. Nothing about women or anything gross.

I know! I'll say I wanted more power. The local press minions will eat it up.

AR Ar AR, no kidding. OK sounds good. I'll start.

K
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The way Benning sounded it the recent interview, I wouldn't be surprised to hear a team has a backroom deal in place to make Brackett GM or Asst GM. It would explain the rather bizarre claim that he wants draft table autonomy.

"Either give me control or I'm going where I run my own show"
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

He was and is never gonna get the “autonomy” he wants, a director of amateur scouting will always report to either the gm or agm. I think this was just an excuse to leave, it’s a real shame he dragged the org through the media mud on his way out especially after benning and weisbrod trained and mentored him. Also the “philosophies” were courtesy of benning not Judd, Judd did some stuff with analytics that I’m sure the Canucks will keep using. Ferraro had a decent take on it today, and sekeres in a moment of self reflection figured maybe the media and Twitter inflated his ego too much.