2021 Draft Class

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 Draft Class

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Not everyone can smoke what the genius is rolling
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:56 pm Ghosts posts
As second round picks still have a tough time making the NHL I am good with JB taking a swing on this guy.

If he was in W or Q he may have gone higher. I prefer he comes over here unless he somehow signs only a 1 year deal and then comes over. I believe.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Lancer wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:58 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:45 pm Another thing to remember re Klimovich, he is actually Belarussian, not Russian. A relatively slight difference to be sure, but in Danila's case it's a different Motherland. So, we can't really talk about the pull of Mother Russia when it's not really his country. Maybe he's halfway in between a Slovak and a Russian with respect to the allure of the KHL. My hunch is he's most likely going to look at it strictly in terms of dollars and cents.
Yeah, Belorussians are kinda conflicted about ‘Mother Russia’. Cultural/political aspects aside, if I was a kid with Dynamo Minsk (still a bit of a shit-show/shit-hole still with the civil unrest and all) who just got drafted by, and have ambitions about, the NHL, I would get across the pond ASAP. Dynamo Minsk is not even close to the kind of organization that SKA St Petersburg and CSKA Moscow are in terms of coaching and development. He may play more minutes in the K playing for Minsk than Pod had with SKA, but his only development would be by playing against men vice teens.

Hopefully he makes it over. It’s Rouyn-Noranda, but I would put some money on their coaches and staff developing Klimovich more than if he stayed in Minsk. It’s also easier for Canucks staff to keep an eye on him and offer developmental guidance.

After Junior, we’ll see. Hope the kid keeps his head on straight, acclimatizes quickly, and doesn’t get ‘homesick’ for Minsk. I can’t imagine how any rational person would, but one never knows.
He's actually from Pinsk in the marshes ecological district near the southern border with Ukraine, but I get your point Lancer.

I disagree though regarding a possible stint in Rouyn Noranda. I'm in favor of skipping that altogether and going straight to Abbotsford. He doesn't need to play 80, 90 games against weak teenage competition and learn how to swear in French next year.
el rey del mambo
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^^^^

I think the point is learning. to play on the smaller ice as an 18 year old and what will make the transition to NA easier.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I like the confidence to show up and try to make the team. The can always send him to the Q if the AHL is too much for him. He’d sell a lot of tickets in Abby if he plays there.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:56 pm
I thought I explained that part. His chances for being a complete wash-out are likely the same, but his standards for "regular contributor" in the NHL are likely higher than for an otherwise exactly equivalent North American kid. He could do much better than bouncing back and forth between the AHL and NHL (e.g. regular play on the fourth line), but either not enjoy that, and find a role he likes better on a KHL club, or find he can make more in the KHL, and -- again, unlike most North Americans -- those options would be appealing to him. It might not have to be top six (that would depend on internals that Klimovich himself might not be aware of yet), but it would have to be better than if his other options were a lower-tier European league, or washing the cars on his dad's used car lot.

If he leaves for the KHL, the Canucks realize no value for the pick. With a North American taken at that drat spot, if he developed into a "3rd line energy guy" (for example), the Canucks would still have an asset. Therefore, Klimovich will likely need to be more successful than the equivalent pick from Thunder Bay for the Canucks to realise any value at all. With the Belorussian factor, maybe third line regular with power play will be enough for him, but it will still be more than for a North American.

Like I said, it might still be the best risk/return ratio at that position, but there's a bigger chance of getting nothing at all. So, there's a bigger risk.
Bottom line is the initial comment you made which prompted my initial response, that we have to hope he realizes that top-6 potential in order for the Canucks to get value for the pick, is absurd for any 41st selection or any forward drafted in the 2nd round. The semantics surrounding the player beyond that are irrelevant.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:57 pm ^^^^

I think the point is learning. to play on the smaller ice as an 18 year old and what will make the transition to NA easier.
Danila from the swamps of Pinsk no less. The legend of
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:44 pm He's actually from Pinsk in the marshes ecological district near the southern border with Ukraine, but I get your point Lancer.

I disagree though regarding a possible stint in Rouyn Noranda. I'm in favor of skipping that altogether and going straight to Abbotsford. He doesn't need to play 80, 90 games against weak teenage competition and learn how to swear in French next year.
Dunno if IIHF would allow his rights to go straight to Abby from Dynamo Minsk, but even if he does do a stint in Rouyn-Noranda, it would be better than toiling in Minsk.

As for Pinsk vs Minsk, got it. Would probably mean he is more of a Belorussian nationalist than a Putin-tit-sucking Russophile. That’s always a good thing, but in this case means he isn’t likely to be swayed by Russian Rubles and false dreams of a Gagarin Cup. Still, his K rights are owned by Dynamo Minsk so it’s either Minsk or Rouyn-Noranda IMO.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Danila apparently isn't seeing Rouyn Noranda in his future :)

Rick Dhaliwal

@DhaliwalSports

Klimovich agent Dan Milstein : As of right now, He is coming in to make the team. If not, than AHL is a very strong possibility

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 15426?s=20
el rey del mambo
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:30 pm Danila apparently isn't seeing Rouyn Noranda in his future :)

Rick Dhaliwal

@DhaliwalSports

Klimovich agent Dan Milstein : As of right now, He is coming in to make the team. If not, than AHL is a very strong possibility

I like the sounds of that, not sure how it will impact his development, but with the farm team in Abby it gives him way more access to the NHL club and it's resources as well as exposes him to the day to day big league buzz. Encouraging to hear how confident and eager he is.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:53 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:30 pm Danila apparently isn't seeing Rouyn Noranda in his future :)

Rick Dhaliwal

@DhaliwalSports

I like the sounds of that, not sure how it will impact his development, but with the farm team in Abby it gives him way more access to the NHL club and it's resources as well as exposes him to the day to day big league buzz. Encouraging to hear how confident and eager he is.
Sure. I would probably wait one year before bringing him over myself, but if he can handle AHL competition at 18 then there's really no downside to making the move now. His contract slides for the 18 and 19 year old years if he plays in the AHL as an underage so it's not like he's moving prematurely to ufa status or anything.
el rey del mambo
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I just think it's sweet the kid wants to not only fill the net, seemingly has the skills to do it but also wants to do so in NA asap.

The anti-Goldobin perhaps.

But, much like Goldilocks, he needs to learn the 200 foot game.

My guess is he does that in Junior.
DeLevering since 1999.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 pm

Rick Dhaliwal

@DhaliwalSports

Sure. I would probably wait one year before bringing him over myself, but if he can handle AHL competition at 18 then there's really no downside to making the move now. His contract slides for the 18 and 19 year old years if he plays in the AHL as an underage so it's not like he's moving prematurely to ufa status or anything.
You're right, it would be better for him to spend another year over there. The extra 2 years Podkolzin got in really helped him, the step-up in competition and even experiencing the adversity surrounding his spot in the linuep and minutes benefited him and ultimately the Canucks as they're getting a more mature and motivated young player. Klimovich could use that type of experience but I do really like what his agent's been saying.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Dhaliwal

@DhaliwalSports

Be great to see him play in Abbotsford. Not to mention he'd get a ton of ice-time and games in general. It's not often you get an opportunity to have
a future who is so young get a kick start like this. All for it.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

But how does he avoid the juniors? He was drafted in the Quebec League so does he not have to play there? Is there an exception for European players?
The only HW the Canucks need