Past Canuck Players

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Past Canuck Players

Post by ESQ »

Oh nothing, I just assume that Don likes trashing all beloved Canucks from the 94 run :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I am much more fond of the 94 team than the 2011 team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yes....me as well...much to ESQ's chagrin I also have all the time in the world for Pat Quinn.

He was far from perfect...but of the GM's whose work I am aware, he's clearly our best....
DeLevering since 1999.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

donlever wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:44 pm Yes....me as well...much to ESQ's chagrin I also have all the time in the world for Pat Quinn.

He was far from perfect...but of the GM's whose work I am aware, he's clearly our best....
PQ made some great trades, but there are those on this board who insist that drafting the alpha GM skill -- be good enough at it, and it doesn't matter what you screw up, be bad enough at it, and it doesn't matter what you get right. Maybe they only mean in the 21st century; I don't know, I'm not one of those people.

I bring up drafting in context of GMPQ because, as lost Canucks opportunities and might-have-beens go -- and I know we can all name many -- the 1990 draft looms large for me.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I always considered Pat a better coach than GM. Stand Pat was a bit to loyal to his players.
Brian Burke as GM and Pat as coach would have been the best combination.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:58 pm I always considered Pat a better coach than GM. Stand Pat was a bit to loyal to his players.
Yeah...the PQ better as a coach theorem I agree with for sure....
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:58 am From an in the rink perspective the Flame games were more hate filled and intense back then.

The Strangler and Gary Robert's (and others) used to go at it with intent to maim back in the less PC days of NHL hockey.

I remember one game we lost in OT on a Flame PP goal which was a result of Butcher blind siding Robert's in open ice with the puck nowhere near him.

I still remember clearly the sound of the hit echoing through the old concrete mausoleum when it occurred.

I also recall Robert's groggily staggering off the ice and down the tunnel not to be seen again (albeit admittedly the game did not last much longer due to Butcher taking the penalty).

We lost (as usual) but that hit made it well worth it.
Agreed.

One of the best parts of the '94 run were all the crosschecks to GR's neck delivered by Babych/Diduck/Dirk in front of the net.

He was never the same after that and it served him right, the dirty little goalie-running cheap-shot artist...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:58 pm I always considered Pat a better coach than GM. Stand Pat was a bit to loyal to his players.
Yup, Paddy was a great coach, God rest him.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

I could see that and, like Vin says, I have more fondness for the '94 team than 2011.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

2011 was the best Canucks team. 1994 was the most loved Canucks team.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:57 pm 2011 was the best Canucks team. 1994 was the most loved Canucks team.
I think a friend of mine summed it up well: 2011 team had more talent, but 94 team had more character.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pat was a terrific coach. I think he was a good GM too but he butted heads with what Orcas wanted.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:57 pm 2011 was the best Canucks team. 1994 was the most loved Canucks team.
Well said.

Except in Donny's case, since he hates Odjick :lol:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

ESQ poking the Donny bear with a stick...

:lol:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:46 pm ESQ poking the Donny bear with a stick...
Interestingly that's what one particular lady called me when first encountering the Vulcan...
DeLevering since 1999.