Past Canuck Players

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Past Canuck Players

Post by Curmudgeon »

Great story, puts Messier in a better light. Made the mistake of reading some of the comments there, and I take it most of the posters weren't even born when Messier was a Canuck. I'd tip several drinks with Burkie any day. Anybody read his book?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:12 pm Great story, puts Messier in a better light. Made the mistake of reading some of the comments there, and I take it most of the posters weren't even born when Messier was a Canuck. I'd tip several drinks with Burkie any day. Anybody read his book?
My dad was at a charity auction in maybe 2008 and Pat Quinn auctioned off tickets to a game, with him, in his private box.

My dad cheaped out and instantly kicked himself, because what could be better than watching a game with a legend like pat?

Well, Burkie isn't quite in Quinn's league, but after reading this it just reiterates that no story is off limits for Burkie, and he'd be well worth the cheddar if anything like that ever came up
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:48 pm “Trade him or I’ll fucking kill him” :lol:
Who was the media guy who was super sympathetic to Weekes? I feel like it may have been Gary Mason, I remember he wrote a multi-page story about how he'd been mistreated, and my favourite bit was Crawford devoted an entire morning of training camp screaming at Weekes, then after lunch burst into the dining room and shrilly screamed at him "come on, time for round 2!" and dragged him off for a continuation.

Seriously, head coach devoted an entire training camp to screaming at the backup goalie :lol: :lol:
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

ESQ wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:35 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:12 pm Great story, puts Messier in a better light. Made the mistake of reading some of the comments there, and I take it most of the posters weren't even born when Messier was a Canuck. I'd tip several drinks with Burkie any day. Anybody read his book?
My dad was at a charity auction in maybe 2008 and Pat Quinn auctioned off tickets to a game, with him, in his private box.

My dad cheaped out and instantly kicked himself, because what could be better than watching a game with a legend like pat?

Well, Burkie isn't quite in Quinn's league, but after reading this it just reiterates that no story is off limits for Burkie, and he'd be well worth the cheddar if anything like that ever came up
I bet he was kicking himself, that would have been an incredible time. I overheard Pat Quinn tell some stories at Brodeur's event and couldn't imagine spending an entire evening with him in a private box. Bobby Hull tells great stories, Richard does too. Wonder what those tickets ended up going for?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:48 pm “Trade him or I’ll fucking kill him” :lol:
:lol:

I remember that game well. He sheepishly shuffled behind the bench then down th shute...nobody believed he was hurt. I fuckin knew he was a faker!
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:37 pm I fuckin knew he was a faker!
No doubt!

And that mugging story.

He said the guy pulled a knife on him when he stopped to pick up his drycleaning.

Too many witnesses though, so the guy told him to get back in his car and follow him until he stopped.

... drove all over the place...

Of course Weekes complied and then handed over his wallet and THAT'S why he was late on Game Day! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Rypien lost ten years ago today. Aug. 15 / 2021.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Messier and Keenan were necessary evils here. Pat Quinn fell asleep at the wheel sometime around 1996 and a country club atmosphere was created. He ditched Courtnall, Diduck, Adams, Ronning and Momesso for basically fuck all. Tore the guts out of the team. As a precursor he fucked up not protecting Igor in the 93 waiver draft. The team got soft overnight and he seemed ambivalent about changes other than running Jeff Brown out of town.

Keenan and Messeier took a blowtorch to that dressing room. Quinn wouldn’t have ever done that. Other than moving out Gelinas and Irbe, most of the moves in the Keenan/Messier era were sound. The Trevor Linden trade was fucking brilliant.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Tony Esposito, playing for the Canucks - 1967-68:

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:48 am Tony Esposito, playing for the Canucks - 1967-68:

Mod pic
Thought for sure when I saw your name there was a Messier rip coming....
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:43 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:37 pm I fuckin knew he was a faker!
No doubt!

And that mugging story.

He said the guy pulled a knife on him when he stopped to pick up his drycleaning.

Too many witnesses though, so the guy told him to get back in his car and follow him until he stopped.

... drove all over the place...

Of course Weekes complied and then handed over his wallet and THAT'S why he was late on Game Day! :lol:
Found an article detailing Weekes' story for those who have never heard it:

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/ ... m-canucks/
According to sources, both the coaching staff and management lost confidence in Weekes when he refused to play with a sore knee – especially given the MRI results.

However, the last straw likely occurred on Dec. 2, a night the Canucks were playing the Edmonton Oilers at home.

Weekes was supposed to be on the bench as a backup, still not 100 per cent, according to him, but willing to play if the starter got hurt. But as game time approached Kevin Weekes was nowhere to be found.

About five minutes before his team was to head out on the ice for the pre-game skate, Weekes finally showed up. And with the most incredible tale.

According to sources, Weekes told the coaching staff and team security he’d been robbed. His story went like this.

On his way to the game, he’d gone into a dry cleaner in downtown Vancouver to pick up some items he’d dropped off earlier. When he walked out of the shop, he was approached by a man.

”Are you Kevin Weekes?” the man allegedly asked.

”Yes.”

”Follow me,” he said.

At this point, Weekes told coaches and team security, the robber hopped in his car and started driving.

Weekes hopped in his and followed the guy across the Granville Street Bridge to an alley somewhere in the Granville Island area.

The guy asked for any money Weekes was carrying and the player handed over several hundred dollars in bills. There was no gun involved.

And that, said Kevin Weekes, was why he was late.

Most found the tale too bizarre to believe. Why would he get in his car and follow a criminal?

Why wouldn’t he drive to the police station?

Why wouldn’t he get on his cell phone to police?

There also seemed to be discrepancies in his story. At one point he said he was approached by the man leaving his apartment. Then it was when he was leaving the dry cleaners. He couldn’t describe the robber.

Then Weekes insisted the police not investigate.

Most around the team felt Weekes was late because he had simply slept through his alarm. But instead of admitting it, he concocted this grandiose story about a robbery.

Sources indicate GM Brian Burke went ”ballistic” when the story was conveyed to him. Marc Crawford was also not amused.

To them, it again spoke to a lack of character. They were concerned how this latest episode would be regarded by Weekes’ teammates. Would they lose all faith in him? Would they play hard in front of him?

For their part, the players regarded the robbery story mostly with amusement.

”Did they catch the bad guy yet?” the players joked.

Less than three weeks later, Weekes was no longer a Canuck.
Freaks like Weekes amirite?

Fucking pathological liars lol...
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah....that whole thing is just bizarre.

Kevin Weekes is Roger Moore!!
DeLevering since 1999.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Goalie, Jason LaBarbera''s Metallica mask whilst a Canuck.

"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:20 pm Thought for sure when I saw your name there was a Messier rip coming....
Yeah - too easy... ;)

But fuck messier, and fuck the rangers. There will be more coming when ESPN starts their bastardization of hockey coverage.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:36 pm Yeah....that whole thing is just bizarre.

Kevin Weekes is Roger Moore!!
Hee hee hee...
____
Try to focus on someday.