Past Canuck Players

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Past Canuck Players

Post by BladesofSteel »

dangler wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:49 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:31 pm
Per wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:02 pm On new year’s eve Edler reached the 1000 NHL games milestone; 925 for the Canucks, 75 for the kings.
Sigh..,, still a better player than OEL at 10 % of the cost.
The club would be in a better position if they would've just resigned Edler & Tanev instead of the attempted "improvements"
The summer of 2020 was a massive turning point for the franchise. The mismanagement of assets all but erased all the positives (albeit limited) the Benning era had accomplished since its inception, and set the team back years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:39 am
dangler wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:49 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:31 pm
Per wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:02 pm On new year’s eve Edler reached the 1000 NHL games milestone; 925 for the Canucks, 75 for the kings.
Sigh..,, still a better player than OEL at 10 % of the cost.
The club would be in a better position if they would've just resigned Edler & Tanev instead of the attempted "improvements"
The summer of 2020 was a massive turning point for the franchise. The mismanagement of assets all but erased all the positives (albeit limited) the Benning era had accomplished since its inception, and set the team back years.
We don’t need negative posts like this right now, we need to focus on the new regime and why they are twiddling their thumbs, but IMHO the Aqualini’s heard through the grapevine that OEL named Vancouver as one of the two teams (Boston the other) he’d waive his NTC for and so Frank sent his knee cappers Guido and Guido to Bennings office to put the squeeze on him to make it happen. Garland came about during the OEL negotiations.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Chef can't handle the truth
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Edler had to go, he was past his prime but who expected his replacement to be worse. I am not sorry he is gone just frustrated about his replacement.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

2Fingers wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:50 am Edler had to go, he was past his prime but who expected his replacement to be worse. I am not sorry he is gone just frustrated about his replacement.
Agreed, considering that Schenn is doing a better job at the same role Edler had. That said, having OEL does make us worse in a number of ways, Garland be damned.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Dangler is a mobility scooter salesman
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Remember the Brad Ference/Bryan Allen era of Canuck hockey. A favourite of Chef’s. What did Quinn call Ference? A junkyard dog?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

dangler wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:49 am The club would be in a better position if they would've just resigned Edler & Tanev instead of the attempted "improvements"
Speaking of Edler, I was thinking b4 it would have been nice to bring the Eagle back the past off season to play in bottom pairing. We can't afford him @ $3.5M, but he would be nice to have around @ basically league minimum $750k. We basically had in that bottom pairing a rotation of Burroughs Dermott, Stillman. Edler would solidify that spot as he's still pretty good defensively and he would have helped our abysmal PK. Take some of those heavy minutes and workload off OEL and Huggy. Take Huggy off the PK.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Do you really think OEL carries heavy minutes? The guy doesn’t even kill penalties and only gets scrap pp mins.

Edler has lost a step and needed to move on.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

BladesofSteel wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:49 pm Do you really think OEL carries heavy minutes? The guy doesn’t even kill penalties and only gets scrap pp mins.

Edler has lost a step and needed to move on.
He lost a step for sure.
But he could've played as a decent 2nd or 3rd pairing
OEL is a good player, but his contract is horrendous
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Gnarland Benning’s Derek Roy?

I know Gillis only rented Roy playing just 20 miserable games in a Canuck uni but he did give up a pricey package for the failed rental - a 2nd and Kevin Connauton

I say Benning is doing better with Gnarland than Gillis did with Derek Roy
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:23 pm Is Gnarland Benning’s Derek Roy?

I know Gillis only rented Roy playing just 20 miserable games in a Canuck uni but he did give up a pricey package for the failed rental - a 2nd and Kevin Connauton

I say Benning is doing better with Gnarland than Gillis did with Derek Roy
Garland scored a surprise goal vs the Pens because, to everyone's shock, he didn't shoot from the goal line.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Not a past Canuck player, but I came across this info, and thought it was kind of cool.

Peter Forsberg now lives in Switzerland, guess it was the closest thing to Colorado he could find on this side of the Atlantic. Anyway, his eldest son, Lennox, who is nine is playing peewee for the local team, Zug, and thus Peter has gotten involved a bit with the team.

Now, Zug has one of the better teams in the Swiss league, but they also have a team playing in a senior league, where older players can participate. It is not elite, but it is more organized than a beer league. Teams get demoted and promoted in the system, there are real hockey rules and refs and everything. So, last year that team was struggling and were about to get demoted, so Peter decided to ignore his foot problem, strapped on his skates and played in their four last games, scoring a total of 20 points and rescuing them from being demoted. Still has it.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Gino has passed on, my condolences to his family
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

theman wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:47 pm Gino has passed on, my condolences to his family
Ditto.

Also posted here:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 80#p508780
____
Try to focus on someday.