Past Canuck Players

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Past Canuck Players

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:51 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:46 pm ESQ poking the Donny bear with a stick...
Interestingly that's what one particular lady called me when first encountering the Vulcan...
The stick?
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:55 pm
donlever wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:51 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:46 pm ESQ poking the Donny bear with a stick...
Interestingly that's what one particular lady called me when first encountering the Vulcan...
The stick?
..the double Reef.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

'82 lunch buckets
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:35 pm '82 lunch buckets
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:59 pm
Possibly my favorite moment in Canuck history.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

It's immediately what came to my mind when you posted 82.

All.the other good shit in that run and that's the #1 memory in my brain....
DeLevering since 1999.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

All of 14 seconds into Game 1, and then Williams scores the OT winner in Games 2. The Delorme-Mulvey tilt is the first scrap I think of from that run. What a tough team, I'll never forget it.

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah Curm, 82 was a helluva run and good times in the City until the end.

Despite what Tiger said we were never going to beat the Islanders.

We coulda shoulda won game 1, up 5 - 4 with less than 10 remaining....Dallas GM Jim Nill with another big goal as I recall (shorthanded too I think) to put us up the 1....but we got Bossy'd (and Snepsts'd as well I suppose as big Harold had a negative hand in both the tying and winning goals by the Islander sharpshooter) late and in OT.

The Fraser Gradin Smyl line had a great chance to win it and (I think it was Thomas) coulda shoulda scored (it so could have been a goal I believe Fraser was behind the net with his hands raised as a matter of fact) but alas, much like Smyl on Vernon in '89, he did not.

Would have been even more fun to win a game and taking game 1 would have made it more interesting for sure, but again, we weren't beating the Islander juggernaut over 7 games.

Good times for sure though.
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I was 12 years old during that run. Curt Fraser was my favourite player. That team did not get pushed around. Same thing in 94. 2011 we got bitchslapped.

Fraser, Delorme, Smyl, Snepsts, Williams, Nill, Campbell. Then Gino, Antoski, Hunter, Momesso, Diduck, Murzyn, Bure, Gelinas, Babych, McIntyre. In 2011 they had Bieksa and Glass. Jesus Christ.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

82 was a fun run - I went to most of the playoff games that year, and wasn't at all disappointed when the Islanders raised the Cup. It was inevitable.

I don't miss swilling beer in the Coliseum basement, though! (How barbaric)

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:53 am 82 was a fun run - I went to most of the playoff games that year, and wasn't at all disappointed when the Islanders raised the Cup. It was inevitable.

I don't miss swilling beer in the Coliseum basement, though! (How barbaric)

Yep when the game was lopsided I remember the old man going down there to meet my uncle at about the 10 minute mark of the period and not returning until halfway through the next period. Totally archaic herding people into a beer garden and not letting you have a beer in your seat
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

My old man had season tickets 4 seats, centre ice penalty box side about halfway up the upper blue seats. Had them for the 70’s and 80’s (half way through the 80’s of memory serves)
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

We spilt seasons tickets with family friends for ten years 78-88. As well my uncles had tickets too so we went to a ton of hockey games over a 15 year period.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:09 am We spilt seasons tickets with family friends for ten years 78-88. As well my uncles had tickets too so we went to a ton of hockey games over a 15 year period.
Back in the days of Bobby Manno, Claire Alexander, Hilliard Graves, Pit Martin, Per Olav Brasar, Ron Sedlbauer…. Good times
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:18 pm
All of 14 seconds into Game 1, and then Williams scores the OT winner in Games 2. The Delorme-Mulvey tilt is the first scrap I think of from that run. What a tough team, I'll never forget it.

Watching these old fight videos, it seems to me that as every other facet of the game has gotten so much faster/bigger/more skilled, the fighters were way better at their craft than they are today.