Past Canuck Players

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Past Canuck Players

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:02 pm Canucks legend Andy Bathgate #9:

Love the chain link - is that in front of, or behind, the glass?
The glass? lol

That's when they played at the old PNE Forum. Chickenwire.
el rey del mambo
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Two fingers with the bold prediction. Good for you!
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:58 am Then with the additions of Hamhuis and Ballard Willie got the hell out of dodge. It was horribly handled by the Canucks. And a huge loss to our back end.
Wonder if Willie would have been a better option then Aaron Rome? . :scowl: Would it have saved London Drugs some money?
"evolution"
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

The hate for Edler is interesting.

A legit, faithful, life long Canuck.

Has he really been that bad or is it circumstantial?

I wonder....
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:28 pm The hate for Edler is interesting.

I wonder....
Meh, he had a rough shortened Covid season, but I think most of us want him back at a (much) cheaper cap hit.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:32 pm Meh, he had a rough shortened Covid season, but I think most of us want him back at a (much) cheaper cap hit.
A discounted Edler would be better than many choices / options out there. With the minimal use of the Air Thief last year, Green should know how to park someone by now.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

That’s a bold prediction Cotton... uhh, errr, Fingers...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Post positive test, Edler really struggled. He was still a valuable 18-20 d-man in 2019. Covid was clearly a strain on him, but I think he still has a lot left in the tank.

I’d give a multi-year offer to Ham with a raise. Bearing in mind he will only play 40-60 games based on injury history.

Schmidt and his contract need to go, before it becomes immovable.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:32 pm
donlever wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:28 pm The hate for Edler is interesting.

I wonder....
Meh, he had a rough shortened Covid season, but I think most of us want him back at a (much) cheaper cap hit.
Yep.

I used to hate on Edler back in the day. But that was because he was being sold as a top pairing stud when he clearly (at least to me) was not. At his best Edler looked like he had what it took to be "the guy", however he was never at his best for more than a handful of games before the wheels came off and he played a string of stinkers. The turnovers, the deflections into his own net while trying to play goal, the bobbled pucks at the point in the offensive zone, the stupid late game penalties.....

In an ideal roster situation Edler is the guy who anchors your second pairing, or maybe ends up paired with a guy like Shea Weber on the top pairing.

It was always the inconsistency with him.....which ended up being the constant in the end.

He's really the guy you want on your team as the second best defenseman, because it means your best is really top tier, and you've got a legit workhorse in Edler backing that guy up.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

DEC 5 1963; Mann, Jimmy - Ind. Hockey; Phil Maloney - Center - Vancouver Canucks M-10; Vancouver Cen
Full circle...
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comment ... he_traded/

This story from Burkie's book is making the rounds today.
Burke's Law: A Life in Hockey

Book by Brian Burke and Stephen Brunt

Let me tell you another Mess story.

Kevin Weekes, who came over in the Bure trade, was a backup goalie on our team, and let’s just say he wasn’t the most popular guy in the dressing room.

Our starter was hurt, so Weekes was in net and we called up a kid named Alfie Michaud from our farm team in Syracuse to back him up. But we had no plans to put Alfie anywhere near the net.

The game started, and about six minutes in, Weekes started shaking his knee as though he’d hurt something. Then he skated over to the bench. Everyone on the team knew he was pulling the chute.

(It wasn’t the first time we’d had an issue with him. There was a prior incident when Weekes had shown up late for a game and claimed it was because he had been robbed at knifepoint. His story was full of holes. None of his teammates believed him, and neither did I.)

Our trainer, Mike Burnstein, met him at the bench door.

“No fucking way, Weekesie,” he said. “Get the fuck back out there.”

“But I felt a tweak in my knee,” Weekes said.

Burnstein didn’t move an inch. “Get the fuck back out there,” he said. “There’s no way you’re making this kid go in.”

“I felt a tweak,” Weekes said again. “I want to get it looked at.”

Finally, Burnstein relented, Weekes went to the dressing room to get his “injured” knee looked at and Alfie came into the game. He tried to have a drink from his water bottle before play started, but he was so nervous that he started shaking like a leaf and poured the water all over his head.

Mess skated over to him.

“Look, kid,” he said, “you do your best and we’ll do what we can for you.”

We lost the game, 4–1, but it wasn’t Alfie’s fault. We weren’t very good, and it was just another losing night in what turned out to be a losing season.

After the game, Weekes went to the trainer and told him that, miraculously, his knee was feeling a whole lot better.

“Oh, no,” Burnstein said. “You’re going through all the tests, starting with an MRI.”

Burnstein was going to do his best to torture him.

I was sitting in Crow’s office, having a beer after the game, when there was a knock at the door. It was Mess.

“Burkie, can I talk to you for a minute?” he asked.

I went back into the training room, where he had kicked everyone else out. Then he closed the door behind us. Mess was stripped to the waist and he still had his skates on, so he was towering over me. He leaned in with that look in his eyes.

“Trade him or I’ll fucking kill him,” he said, and then walked out.

So needless to say, I traded Kevin Weekes. Kevin has gone on to a great broadcasting career, and we get along just fine.
:mrgreen:

I know Burkie likes to spin a good yarn, but from what we know of the characters involved this sounds about right.
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Lol
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

“Trade him or I’ll fucking kill him” :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

That's awesome....hate Messier but...still...fucking fabulous.

That book is a must read for me...
DeLevering since 1999.