Past Canuck Players

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Past Canuck Players

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:25 pm Marcus Granlund. Olympic gold medal.

Did you see that coming? :?
It's not a real gold medal though

It's an asterisk like Reefer winning the pool
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Per wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:25 pm Marcus Granlund. Olympic gold medal.

Did you see that coming? :?
I remember some folks being pretty stoked about him on this board back in the day.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:24 pm It's an asterisk like Reefer winning the pool
:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:15 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:24 pm It's an asterisk like Reefer winning the pool
I won it properly, there is no asterisk! :scowl:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

2Fingers wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:20 am
Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:15 pm
I may have won it properly,but since the season was cut short there is no an asterisk! :scowl:
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Meg, question for your encyclopedic WHL knowledge:

I remember some story about why Don Cherry's final full year as a player in 1968 was such a disaster, that possibly explained why he has been so sour on the city. It was either a terrible injury or he didn't want to move to Canada or he hated the team

Is this ringing any bells for you? I remember reading it in the paper, probably around the 40th anniversary of the 50th anniversary of that championship team...
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:34 pm Meg, question for your encyclopedic WHL knowledge:

I remember some story about why Don Cherry's final full year as a player in 1968 was such a disaster, that possibly explained why he has been so sour on the city. It was either a terrible injury or he didn't want to move to Canada or he hated the team

Is this ringing any bells for you? I remember reading it in the paper, probably around the 40th anniversary of the 50th anniversary of that championship team...
:lol: I don't know about 'encyclopedic knowledge ESQ but of course I have touched on this story a few times, in the 'Canucks History' subforum for one I think. Having built the Pacific Coliseum only to lose out on their bid for an NHL franchise in the original expansion in '67 (mostly due to Toronto Maple Leaf interference - people here in Vancouver were so angry about it they cut up their Esso credit cards in protest - Esso was a key sponsor of HNIC) the Canucks owners purchased most of the roster of the AHL champion Rochester Americans in a bid to win a WHL championship and fill the building in the process in order to impress the NHL to the point where they simply could not be ignored in the next round of expansion. Well they were successful on both accounts. Not only did they win back to back Lester Patrick trophies, they succeeded in their bid for an NHL expansion franchise the year following their second WHL championship.

Part of the group coming over from Rochester was a veteran AHL defenseman named Don Cherry. Don's skills had declined to the point where he wasn't very effective on the ice anymore, and at his age he also didn't really fight much so he didn't add much except dressing room leadership. Of course Don had played his entire career in Eastern rust belt towns like Rochester and Hershey and was probably not really comfortable out here in strange Lotusland to begin with but I'm sure he was completely unprepared for the reception he was about to get from the fans. Back then, fans in English Canadian cities like Toronto and Vancouver were absolutely ruthless. There was a tradition of singling out a player, usually a declining veteran and riding him mercilessly at home game. He would be the fan's whipping boy. They would boo him every time he touched the puck. They would swear at him, throw objects at him on the ice. They would harass his family away from the rink. There wasn't much a subsection of Canucks fans wouldn't do in this regard.

Well Don was lucky enough to be that guy here in Vancouver and he never forgot it or really got over it and anyone who has ever heard him talk about Vancouver or the Canucks could sense his dislike for both. Recently his hatred finally seems to be subsiding a little bit, but it has taken fifty years!
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

DET claims Juolevi

11:02 AM · Mar 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/ ... dvcwqXwGBg
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Vegas Golden Knights General Manager Kelly McCrimmon announced today, March 5, that the team has signed defenseman Ben Hutton to a two-year contract extension worth $850,000.

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/ ... -331484504
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Jake Virtanen and Marcus Granlund have both left the KHL and Russia, as has loads of other non-Russian players, not to mention two entire teams ~ Jokerit from Helsinki and Dynamo Riga from, yeah, well, Riga… :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Per wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:18 pm Jake Virtanen and Marcus Granlund have both left the KHL and Russia, as has loads of other non-Russian players, not to mention two entire teams ~ Jokerit from Helsinki and Dynamo Riga from, yeah, well, Riga… :|
God, I hope their agents have already set them up to onshore their ruble paycheques the fuck out of Russia
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Happy Steve Moore Day !!!

Here lies Steve Moore
One shot from #44
No Steve
No Moore
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Tciso wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:10 am Happy Steve Moore Day !!!

Here lies Steve Moore
One shot from #44
No Steve
No Moore
:lol:

Pencil neck!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:10 am Happy Steve Moore Day !!!

Here lies Steve Moore
One shot from #44
No Steve
No Moore
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 27#p419227

Thanks again Mr T.
____
Try to focus on someday.